57 replies to this topic

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

I agree with a lot of what you said but if they sold the team and obviously the stadium it wouldn't be a public relatons fiasco and they wouldn't be the laughing stock of the business world if they sold the team/arena for around what they paid for it or if they made a deal to keep the stadium as Red Bull Arena.

Sadly there are stills ton of people in this area that don't even know they have a team. I still have people ask me about my Red Bulls gear all the time.

I hear you.

Maybe not here, but most definitely over there. Remember, they rolled the dice and spent the cash to prove a point, that a foreign-run company can run with the big boys in what is considered a small soccer league by the world's standards. It would hurt big time in Austria for sure. The "Red Bull fails in NYC" tag would sting and stick for quite some time. I know a friend who works for the parent company and he told me it would be a total shitstorm back home if things fail here.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Rob Money

Rob Money

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

b) I never suggested that RedBull sell the team, but rather pay more attention to the day to day operation of the team itself, as well be given an explanation as why the supporters and tri-state area largely dislike and ridicule the name, and why the team should be RE-named.

What do you want Salzburg to do?

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

What do you want Salzburg to do?

I don't think there is one american that thinks 'RedBulls' is a 'cool' name for a sports team. Salzburg either are totally oblivious to this fact, or they just don't care and want the beverage name out there as much as possible. I have a feeling they are totally oblivious to this fact, or think people will grow accustomed to it. I think its important that they know that it is turning off alot of people, and hurting the potential of new fans. I don't think anyone here really cares if RedBull is the team's main sponsor or even owns the club, if they were to change the way they do things (place importance on on-the-field performance, marketing the team, growing the sport in the area, etc), but the team name has to go.

So to answer your question, what *I* propose is that Salzburg a) rename the team, simply because it helps the team's interest factor go up by default, and doesn't really hurt them because everyone knows who the main sponsor is by the huge logo on the shirts and the huge logo and name on the stadium. b) that Salzburg, seek to get more invested in the area, get more invested in the fans, and help grow the sport in america. For all the money they've thrown at this stadium, youth team, and team, we have no interaction with the FO like seattle or portland have, and the team largely functions on an hidden island away from the rest of the NY/NJ/CT sports scene. not good enough for owners with so much $$$. Pay more attention to the club and what is going on over here.

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

I don't think there is one american that thinks 'RedBulls' is a 'cool' name for a sports team. Salzburg either are totally oblivious to this fact, or they just don't care and want the beverage name out there as much as possible. I have a feeling they are totally oblivious to this fact, or think people will grow accustomed to it. I think its important that they know that it is turning off alot of people, and hurting the potential of new fans. I don't think anyone here really cares if RedBull is the team's main sponsor or even owns the club, if they were to change the way they do things (place importance on on-the-field performance, marketing the team, growing the sport in the area, etc), but the team name has to go.

So to answer your question, what *I* propose is that Salzburg a) rename the team, simply because it helps the team's interest factor go up by default, and doesn't really hurt them because everyone knows who the main sponsor is by the huge logo on the shirts and the huge logo and name on the stadium. b) that Salzburg, seek to get more invested in the area, get more invested in the fans, and help grow the sport in america. For all the money they've thrown at this stadium, youth team, and team, we have no interaction with the FO like seattle or portland have, and the team largely functions on an hidden island away from the rest of the NY/NJ/CT sports scene. not good enough for owners with so much $$$. Pay more attention to the club and what is going on over here.

So then why is the vast majority of every one of our home games filled with people with Red Bull jerseys, hats, scarves, etc, etc. Obviously there are plenty of people who don't mind otherwise they wouldn't be purchasing all that gear.

Just because there is a lot of negativity on here to the name doesn't mean that the majority feel the same.

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

So then why is the vast majority of every one of our home games filled with people with Red Bull jerseys, hats, scarves, etc, etc. Obviously there are plenty of people who don't mind otherwise they wouldn't be purchasing all that gear.

Just because there is a lot of negativity on here to the name doesn't mean that the majority feel the same.

hi 'NewYorkRedBulls'... just out of curiosity, what is your day job?

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

hi 'NewYorkRedBulls'... just out of curiosity, what is your day job?

lol at you for thinking I work for the team

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

lol at you for thinking I work for the team

its difficult for me to understand why you'd defend the team name otherwise?

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

its difficult for me to understand why you'd defend the team name otherwise?

I actually like a lot of things that Red Bull has done for the team. I watched them get the stadium done. I watched the team in 08 advance to the finals as the Red Bulls.

Has shit been perfect over the years? No it hasn't but there's been a lot of things that they have done right and I've enjoyed a good amount of it. I don't harp on the team not being called the Metrostars because frankly it's all one in the same to me, it's still my team and if there is ever a day when the name changes once again they will still be my team.

Rob Money

Rob Money

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

Is it really Salzburg's fault that there isn't much interaction between the FO and the area?

and the team largely functions on an hidden island away from the rest of the NY/NJ/CT sports scene

what do you mean? the Devils are down the street. The Giants and Jets are 20 minutes away.

On the subject of the name. What's not more New York than being a corporate lackey?

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

I actually like a lot of things that Red Bull has done for the team. I watched them get the stadium done. I watched the team in 08 advance to the finals as the Red Bulls.

Has shit been perfect over the years? No it hasn't but there's been a lot of things that they have done right and I've enjoyed a good amount of it. I don't harp on the team not being called the Metrostars because frankly it's all one in the same to me, it's still my team and if there is ever a day when the name changes once again they will still be my team.

i totally get that. you like what RedBull has done for the team, especially the stadium. you admit things haven't been perfect, but you feel alot of it has been done right and you've enjoyed it. And you're not big on the name because its all the same, and if and when the name changes they will still be your team.

I got it.

So why is it that you're bothered by my suggestion that the team name be changed? Is it that you don't understand why you're in the minority on this particular issue?

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

i totally get that. you like what RedBull has done for the team, especially the stadium. you admit things haven't been perfect, but you feel alot of it has been done right and you've enjoyed it. And you're not big on the name because its all the same, and if and when the name changes they will still be your team.

I got it.

So why is it that you're bothered by my suggestion that the team name be changed? Is it that you don't understand why you're in the minority on this particular issue?

It doesn't bother me at all that you suggest the name be changed, I'm just making an argument for the hell of it that not everyone cares or feels the same way as you and others on here do about the name.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but if so many people hated the name that much then why is there so much Red Bulls gear in the stands at every home game?

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

It doesn't bother me at all that you suggest the name be changed, I'm just making an argument for the hell of it that not everyone cares or feels the same way as you and others on here do about the name.

I mean correct me if I'm wrong but if so many people hated the name that much then why is there so much Red Bulls gear in the stands at every home game?

because by and large people will do as their told. I'll place a wager that if you interviewed everyone in the stadium this sunday, 90%+ would say that RedBulls is a silly name for a franchise. but they still came to the game, and they still are wearing a RedBulls hat and scarf. The experience of being a fan, of supporting a the team, of wearing the colors is still fun, even if the team name is a corporate silly name. But the 'fun' level went down juuuust a little bit when the team got re-named. No one is going to deny that. It just didn't go so far down that people are staying away in droves. So people will do as their told on this one... because the cut isn't SO deep that the fun is taken away. I'll give in to this, because its not SO bad...

its not SO bad......

its not SO bad...........

having a corporate logo as a team name isn't SO bad... because they, that name bought a great stadium!

having a player that we KNOW is only here for the money isn't SO bad... because he's a big name in world soccer!

having a team that plays with heart would be nice... but hey, its nice to just have a team to support!

...its called selling yourself short. I'll take this, because i don't think i can really have what would really make me happy. Give me the portland experience (playing on an fieldturf field in a baseball stadium with a team that is less talented than ours) any day of the week. There is something real and passionate about whats going on there. The only thing passionate and real about our team are the guys & gals in the end zone seats... and the para-glider that delivers the ball the opening game ever year. other than those two things, trust me, the experience is lacking. AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. and there are ways to fix that... but boys & girls, you actually have to admit there's a problem and be willing to admit you can help find the solution first.

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

Rob Money

Rob Money

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

because by and large people will do as their told. I'll place a wager that if you interviewed everyone in the stadium this sunday, 90%+ would say that RedBulls is a silly name for a franchise. but they still came to the game, and they still are wearing a RedBulls hat and scarf. The experience of being a fan, of supporting a the team, of wearing the colors is still fun, even if the team name is a corporate silly name. But the 'fun' level went down juuuust a little bit when the team got re-named. No one is going to deny that. It just didn't go so far down that people are staying away in droves. So people will do as their told on this one... because the cut isn't SO deep that the fun is taken away. I'll give in to this, because its not SO bad...

its not SO bad......

having a corporate logo as a team name isn't SO bad... because they, that name bought a great stadium!

having a player that we KNOW is only here for the money isn't SO bad... because he's a big name in world soccer!

having a team that plays with heart would be nice... but hey, its nice to just have a team to support!

...its called selling yourself short. I'll take this, because i don't think i can really have what would really make me happy. Give me the portland experience (playing on an fieldturf field in a baseball stadium with a team that is less talented than ours) any day of the week. There is something real and passionate about whats going on there. The only thing passionate and real about our team are the guys & gals in the end zone seats... and the para-glider that delivers the ball the opening game ever year. other than those two things, trust me, the experience is lacking. AND EVERYONE KNOWS IT. and there are ways to fix that... but boys & girls, you actually have to admit there's a problem and be willing to admit you can help find the solution first.

HEY! Marquez stated that he was gonna change and there's no proof yet if he will or not.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts

its not SO bad......

No one here is ever going to be happy. Even if they do change the name of the team the issues with the supporters groups will still stand. We wanna only sing in English! All those Spanish songs are too hard to learn. Too many people just come to drink. Too many people do this and that. Whine, whine, bitch, bitch.

Shit's going to be like this for a long time period. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see anything changing. Doesn't matter what the team is called.

MrDerp4321

MrDerp4321

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 603 posts

No one here is ever going to be happy. Even if they do change the name of the team the issues with the supporters groups will still stand. We wanna only sing in English! All those Spanish songs are too hard to learn. Too many people just come to drink. Too many people do this and that. Whine, whine, bitch, bitch.

Shit's going to be like this for a long time period. I hope I'm wrong but I just don't see anything changing. Doesn't matter what the team is called.

No one here is talking about the supporters clubs, other to motivate them to encourage management to make necessary wholesale changes.

Again, if the supporters aren't aboard with this summit, then i'm just farting in the wind here on these boards. The supporters clubs are a necessary part of any stand the fans make. To date, the biggest impact i have ever seen any fans make during a game was the ESC's response to last year's open cup fiasco. Never have i heard a stadium so quiet... never did i realize how impactful the ESC and the entire south ward were. The supporters CAN make an impact, when they are organized. Unfortunately, between having a team, having a great stadium, and having stars on that team, the experience will never be horrible, just mediocre... so there will never be something HORRIBLE going on to motivate people to action. But folks it doesn't take a brain surgeon to realize that the Soler/Backe regime is just going to keep producing these same results, over, and over, and over again. Its not difficult to see that RedBull needs to tweak if not totally change the way they run the club.

When is when for you?

COME TO THE DRINK

CONFORM TO THE DRINK

SUPPORT THE DRINK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users