204 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

He was suspended after their second game on June 24 and they were already eliminated.  Why would it take him another 11-12 days to come back from Russia?

Because he stayed with the team and then went Panama. to celebrate the countrys greatest achievement in soccer, one they might not duplicate for a long time.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 546 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Because he stayed with the team and then went Panama. to celebrate the countrys greatest achievement in soccer, one they might not duplicate for a long time.

The opportunity to duplicate this World Cup berth just became easier for 2026 when the World Cup is expanded to 48 teams and Concacaf getting up to 6 slots now. But, being Panamas first dance, everyone was trying to soak in the moment. Take how their fans celebrated the first goal scored at a World Cup during the 6-1 spanking by England, it was like they had won the World Cup.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,386 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

That seems a bit overblown.  Its not like they had to beat any big soccer countries to get there.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think the substitution thing is being overblown, we had problems out the gate yesterday. Our first half passing completion was 48%. I'm struggling to come up for the right word for how bad that is. We usually average about 70%, we had literally one player above that mark yesterday and that was Davis.

I can't put my finger on what went so wrong, the team didn't look disorganized, they were just leaving their passes a foot or two off-target especially when trying to find someone near the box.

Im not concerned about this result at all. Good teams can travel away and get a 0-0 draw.

1. We were one stupid mistake away from that.
2. The Smurfs are a good team.
3. They are undefeated at home.
4. They were VERY motivated this time.
5. They were tactically much more practical this time.
6. We were dealing with a coaching change this week.
7. That field was absolute dogshit. Every play in that infield area died and that was 25% of the game. The other 3/4 of the field isnt good either.

So Im actually not concerned about this game. At all. What Im most concerned with at this point is:
1. Can Armas figure out how to consistently beat bunker/counter/long ball tactics better than Marsch.
2. Royer: I think Royer is not the guy we saw for one month last year. I think that was an anomaly. I think hes more what we initially thought he would be when he got here. Hard working, good defender, chips in a few goals. Nothing earth shattering. Which Im totally fine with. HOWEVER, it drives me nuts when he does unnecessary extra shit with the ball. If he would play direct direct direct he would be much much better. Get that pass and either immediately dish and move, or go straight for goal.
3. Valot. That is a huge loss and we need an impact outside mid right now. Not a Royer. More like a Sam. Anything better than a Sam is just icing.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,245 posts
Yeah, I hate to see us lose obviously, but I dont want to draw any conclusions from this yet.

1. Yankee Stadium is a fucking joke. When players fall down while trying to run on 20% of the field because its temp grass on top of the infield, it screws things up.

2. The smurfs are a good team. We all hate to admit it, but away at yankee stadium is probably a toss up even with Jesse.

The subs sucked, but Jesses did on the regular too. I want to see how Armas does with a couple games at home. Those are games that we should be winning, and if Armas still isnt getting results, that should be when we start hitting the panic button.
Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,119 posts

Im not concerned about this result at all. Good teams can travel away and get a 0-0 draw.

1. We were one stupid mistake away from that.
2. The Smurfs are a good team.
3. They are undefeated at home.
4. They were VERY motivated this time.
5. They were tactically much more practical this time.
6. We were dealing with a coaching change this week.
7. That field was absolute dogshit. Every play in that infield area died and that was 25% of the game. The other 3/4 of the field isnt good either.

So Im actually not concerned about this game. At all. What Im most concerned with at this point is:
1. Can Armas figure out how to consistently beat bunker/counter/long ball tactics better than Marsch.
2. Royer: I think Royer is not the guy we saw for one month last year. I think that was an anomaly. I think hes more what we initially thought he would be when he got here. Hard working, good defender, chips in a few goals. Nothing earth shattering. Which Im totally fine with. HOWEVER, it drives me nuts when he does unnecessary extra shit with the ball. If he would play direct direct direct he would be much much better. Get that pass and either immediately dish and move, or go straight for goal.
3. Valot. That is a huge loss and we need an impact outside mid right now. Not a Royer. More like a Sam. Anything better than a Sam is just icing.

very well said

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

CahillsRightJab

CahillsRightJab

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, CFC, USMNT, Cafateros

I have a sinking feeling this is gonna be Royer's downfall in this uniform. Aside from a couple of fancy touches, he doesn't have the skillset to hold on to the ball as much as it seems like he wants to. If he adjusts that and starts going straight for open passes/shots, I see him being a top guy for a few years. Sadly, he probably wants to make everything happen (a little selfishly) and will not help much in the end.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,534 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Just watched Matchday video on the team site.  In the post-match speech at the end, Armas took the team to task a little and blamed himself as well.  He wasn't fiery, but he definitely didn't do the thing Marsch did a lot, talking about how good the team played, and that they were unlucky, blah, blah, blah.  No excuses, he said both the team and he need to be better.  So that's at least one thing I like better about Armas.

Also, it's a disgrace that MLS let's them continue to play at Yankee Stadium - it's too small and the infield grass is dangerous.  This is the fourth season there, MLS has to force them to find an actual soccer pitch soon.

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
Despite liking the guy, Royer isn't the player metro needs him to be. This team lacks true wingers who can consistently threaten and create. Kaku needs to go wide until this is resolved.

Also, blood money might be closing in on a stadium. Hopefully RBA gets some upgrades in response. https://www.nytimes....nav=bottom-well

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,640 posts

, it's a disgrace that MLS let's them continue to play at Yankee Stadium - it's too small and the infield grass is dangerous.  This is the fourth season there, MLS has to force them to find an actual soccer pitch soon.

Its an absolute DISGRACE. Literally 1/4 of the field was unplayable.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users