30 replies to this topic

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

No doubt, thats why this is about who plays in Royer's spot, which i think needs to offer more wing-like play since Valot plays his side more like an attacking 2-way mid.

DE7 has 120 less minutes (and several less seasons) played than Muyl with 1 more point of production. And its an eye test thing. The offense flows and has ideas when Etienne is out there, less so when a fullback is up in attack. He needs a little more hunger for goals, but I think folks are being way too harsh on DE for his misses v Philly. Good things happen when he's out there. 

Id like to see it too, but Marsch seems reluctant to play Etienne as a winger. I get that he gives you a lot less defense than Muyl, but against teams that bunker who cares? Toronto probably wont bunker, so I get Marsch going to with Muyl this match.

What Id really like to see is Tyler at the 10, like in the second leg of the playoffs last season. TFC still runs through Bradley, and I like the idea of having Tyler there stopping their attack before it starts. Move Kaku to the wing and play RZA next to Davis. Muyl or Etienne first off the bench, depending on whether were trying to hold on to a lead or need a goal.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

big no to tyler at the 10.  if you're smart (read: anyone but NYCFC), you will not be building out of the back against our press.  if tyler is playing at the 10, more often than not teams will just play it over the top and avoid him altogether.  

if you're going to take Kaku out of the 10 spot, it should be Rza there instead - he has the ability to press effectively.  Tyler has the potential to be a game changing player when used correctly - in the heart of midfield...not as a #10, not as a right back, and not as a right mid. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

big no to tyler at the 10.  if you're smart (read: anyone but NYCFC), you will not be building out of the back against our press.  if tyler is playing at the 10, more often than not teams will just play it over the top and avoid him altogether. 

How about we keep Tyler at the 10 as an option if theyre playing through Bradley a lot. Moving Tyler up the pitch turned the playoffs around last year... the turn was just too little, too late.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,144 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

How about we keep Tyler at the 10 as an option if theyre playing through Bradley a lot. Moving Tyler up the pitch turned the playoffs around last year... the turn was just too little, too late.

Tyler playing as a 10 in the playoffs was effective moreso because it allowed us to press higher up the field because Sacha couldn't do that job.  However, with Kaku, Davis, etc. the main 10s now on the team, we can still press higher up the field without compromising our D-mid situation.  For that reason I would prefer Tyler not as the 10.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Tyler playing as a 10 in the playoffs was effective moreso because it allowed us to press higher up the field because Sacha couldn't do that job.  However, with Kaku, Davis, etc. the main 10s now on the team, we can still press higher up the field without compromising our D-mid situation.  For that reason I would prefer Tyler not as the 10.

I love Kaku and Davis, but Tyler presses at a whole other level. Everything TFC does goes through Bradley so shutting him down is key.

Starting Tyler at the 10, may not be necessary, because Kaku is not Sacha and may be effective against Bradley. If that isnt working though, Id like to see Marsch switch Adams there sooner rather than after TFC gets a goal. And, Kaku stays on the pitch a winger, where hes played before in Argentina.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO
I'm sorry but number 10s role is strictly offensive and any defense is a plus and Tyler has not shown the offensive ability yet, he can press from his current position and kaku can keep doing what he has been great at from the 10 spot which is distributing the ball and pulling defenders away from BWP. Our system might be press first but we need to be able to do something positive with the ball once intercepted and Tyler is not good at that. He's good but not good enough to push kaku from his free roaming spot as a 10.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I'm sorry but number 10s role is strictly offensive and any defense is a plus and Tyler has not shown the offensive ability yet, he can press from his current position and kaku can keep doing what he has been great at from the 10 spot which is distributing the ball and pulling defenders away from BWP. Our system might be press first but we need to be able to do something positive with the ball once intercepted and Tyler is not good at that. He's good but not good enough to push kaku from his free roaming spot as a 10.

Did anybody watch the playoffs last year? In the second match against TFC, Tyler played higher up the pitch, where the 10 normally plays, and the team was 10x more effective defensively AND offensively. This would be a one time move to combat the way TFC plays - through Bradley in a deep CM role. Marsch doesnt have to start this way, just have it ready in case TFC is controlling play.

Teams in Serie A would often put a player like Adams (more defensive than offensive) higher up the pitch to combat deep lying playmakers like Pirlo.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,800 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Not in our system

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Not in our system

Yep.  That's why Sacha is no longer here.  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Did anybody watch the playoffs last year? In the second match against TFC, Tyler played higher up the pitch, where the 10 normally plays, and the team was 10x more effective defensively AND offensively. This would be a one time move to combat the way TFC plays - through Bradley in a deep CM role. Marsch doesnt have to start this way, just have it ready in case TFC is controlling play.

Teams in Serie A would often put a player like Adams (more defensive than offensive) higher up the pitch to combat deep lying playmakers like Pirlo.

Not to mention that Adams HAS displayed decent offensive passing when playing higher up the pitch or on the wing. It's not like he's a pure destroyer and nothing more, he's just not being tasked with more than that when playing as a 6.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

but the formation in that TFC leg was 3-3-3-1. was it not? we don't run that as often, since we usually have Parker-Long as the lone CBs. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
You can bring up playoffs all you want, took you a year to stop mentioning verons great playoff appearance, but we lost the game and the series by not scoring goals. So let's put our best ball distributor aside so we can press a team that is very comfortable with the press. Our playoff games are an indication of what not to do, not what to do based on results and complete and utter inability to score and change the game plan. Show me Adams' decent offensive play in any spot on the field, he can press from anywhere without affecting our only creative midfielder. But what do I know you are the experts, especially in bringing up awful playoff appearances as a symbol of success and what worked. Stick with what has worked all season, or let's do what Jesse loves to do and play players out of position in playoffs, good thing this game isn't playoffs so I'm confident adams plays where he has.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Did anybody watch the playoffs last year?

No. No one did. 🙄

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

You can bring up playoffs all you want, took you a year to stop mentioning verons great playoff appearance, but we lost the game and the series by not scoring goals. So let's put our best ball distributor aside so we can press a team that is very comfortable with the press.

We lost the series, but WON the game away at Toronto that Adams played at the 10. Your point about TFC being confortable against the press is spot on, thats why Marsch played Adams higher up, to make Bradley uncomfortable because most of what they do starts with him. I agree Kaku is most effective offensively when he plays central, but in Argentina he did play some on the wing, so he can do it.

Im just saying play the. Irma lineup, but be ready to switch things up if Bradley is controlling the game.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

No. No one did. 🙄

Im not sure the people that think its idiotic to play Adams at the 10 against this particular opponent did.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users