ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

http://www.mlssoccer...d-hed-be-great?

One of three options: 1) coach-speak to make BWP feel appreciated, 2) Marsch doesn't understand how good TH14 was or his impact on the club or 3) he's delusional. Jesse's a smart guy, so I'm going with 1).

Just remember that even in one of his better games this year (a brace vs Toronto on two great finishes), BWP still missed three very good chances: the awkward header against the grain, a difficult finish, but still a point-blank chance; the shanked chip from distance which I was sure he'd score after the first one; and the chance where he was just ahead of a defender on the edge of the box and sent the first-time shot well wide. He's a very good MLS striker when given a lot of scoring chances and his record shows proves that.

But if you could somehow straight-swap Henry for BWP, it's not even a discussion. I'd put good money on Titi being a better player right now if he wanted to come back like Landycakes, and it's not close for when he was actually active.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,420 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

T. Henry best offensive player ever. BWP 2nd best followed by JPA & then Amado. Sacha best # 10

JPA's skill level was clearly superior, especially on set pieces.   There was nothing to knock in terms of his class or professionalism (not that there is with BWP), and he did not have the talent around him that BWP has had.    I agree with TH14 that BWP should have even more a bunch more goals than he has.   And the first half of this season was absolutely horrific. That being said, the numbers are what they are, he's not done yet, and I love having him on our team..

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,321 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Sacha's the best American. If we do get to CCL qtr-finals, it's a lock. 

BWP 3rd best foreign-born player in franchise history. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,300 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
As far as pure greatness the only player we ever had who was close to TH was Mathis before he got hurt. God talk about what could've been, and even after the injury he was real good.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Without TH14, there never would be a BWP imo

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,339 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Without TH14, there never would be a BWP imo

He scored a goal against either Toronto or D.C. that was pure Thierry.  Open the hips, right-footed curler to the far post.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Sacha's the best American. If we do get to CCL qtr-finals, it's a lock. 

Better than prime Mathis?

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,321 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

if we do anything this season or go toe to toe with the best damned teams from down there, i think so. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

MetroCab

MetroCab

Brilliant!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts

27-17-21(and counting)

We are lucky to have this guy.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,779 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

27-17-21(and counting)

We are lucky to have this guy.

Should've had 85 by now.  ;)

Super Metro

Super Metro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,034 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars 4Ever, USA National Team

Better than prime Mathis?

Now that's a good argument... but a good CCL show and who knows........

Metro/Red Bull
4 Ever

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,948 posts

The Mathis and Klejstan conversation is a really interesting one.

Remember Mathis only guy to score five in one game. Carried team at times (by himself)... special talent. That said, I think Klejstan on his way to being a regular first XI for US and potentially a starter in 2018 World Cup (assuming US makes it). His ability to play a through ball or find the right player as good as anyone in US system this decade. 

All of these are good problems to have. Even with the ties and not finishing off W's, more excited about this Metro team than any other we have had. More balance, better depth, and a real youth system providing talent. Still not sure what we do with Veron.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

irishstevenj

irishstevenj

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 453 posts

Two, maybe even one more season like this makes Kljestan the answer to the Kljestan-Mathis question. I mean, if he plays Sunday and gets an assist, he'll have done something only Pibe has done in this league.

MTF

MTF

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USMNT

BWP is at 75 goals in all competitions.  First to 100?  We've got playoffs this year, plus all of next regular season plus Champions League, etc. It's achievable in 2017, especially if he grabs a few over the next couple months, but might be challenging to expect him to get another 20+ regular season. Although he does have Sacha feeding him the ball...

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,504 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Watched the videos of his goals this year. This was his best season ever here. He was much more deliberate with his chances and many of his strikes were perfect side net shots. He got much better in finishing the service he received. Good headers and nice volley finishes. He might actually be the best player to play for this team which I know is insane, but you're not supposed to see someone score this much. We definitely have to credit TH14 for assisting him and Sacha for doing it this year, but at the end of the day the guy scores at unheard of rates.

None cane from PKs by the way. If we let him take them, he would of broken the record. I think he should take them in the playoffs. His confidence is high and that's basically all PKs are.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users