552 replies to this topic

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Besides pay to play the big problem is that the best athletes all play basketball, gridball or baseball. As people think twice about getting involved in gridball and see that soccer can be a very lucrative career path that is likely to change.

After being in Belgium, I believe that statement is false. There's about 2-3 or more depending on the size of the town of football clinics/academies, etc that parents pay for. The thing is that that the government subsidizes this to parents at the end of the year.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,642 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

After being in Belgium, I believe that statement is false. There's about 2-3 or more depending on the size of the town of football clinics/academies, etc that parents pay for. The thing is that that the government subsidizes this to parents at the end of the year.

The Belgian pro league teams don't have academies?

This what is making the difference -  we now have the very first wave of kids coming through who grew up in professional academy systems, then bypassing college.    The challenge will be for the pro academies to identify young kids outside of the ridiculous pay-to-play systems we have.    We now can develop them properly, but we still have a challenge finding them to bring in.    We are still too reliant on places like Holmdel for talent.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

2. Its actually harder when you have a larger country.

2. Does any country have a 4 world class players in 4 million success rate, over the long term? Maybe Germany...

Brazil doesn't have a hard time producing players and they are considered a big country.

I get soccer is not the 1 sport but we have 325 million ppl in this country and 24 million play soccer in the US.

Folks are saying pay to play is at fault but it appears that parents are paying for terrible youth development. US Soccer should regulate these training programs. The output on successful players is terrible.

I still cant believe that we have 6x the amount of ppl playing soccer in the US then the population of Croatia.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
You are aware that the two largest countries on a population basis (China and India) both didn't even come close to qualifying right?
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

General Robles

General Robles

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 999 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Newcastle, Palermo

You are aware that the two largest countries on a population basis (China and India) both didn't even come close to qualifying right?

Exactly. Of the 10 most populated countries in the world, only 1 (Brazil at #5) is a soccer powerhouse. 

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Sure, but that just shows that they are also having trouble developing youth players. Don't know much abt them on whether it is a lack of interest or a lack of providers.

In the US, we have the interest but the folks providing the training are terrible.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,481 posts

Exactly. Of the 10 most populated countries in the world, only 1 (Brazil at #5) is a soccer powerhouse. 

Nigeria won the Olympics. Mexico has been one of the most dominant teams in the Americas in the past 30 years and no US player has ever reached the success of hugo Sanchez. Russia has history of doing well in UEFA European championship.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,504 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Australia ain't huge pop wise, but they're not amazing at soccer cuz they're already amazing at cricket and rugby union/league. same idea as as here in the States. we're good at some other things already. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, and Glenn Stampiglia

"Team That I Dream Of" and "Faithful To The Colors" 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

Nigeria won the Olympics. Mexico has been one of the most dominant teams in the Americas in the past 30 years and no US player has ever reached the success of hugo Sanchez. Russia has history of doing well in UEFA European championship.

The Olympics are not very important in world soccer. Mexico has been no more dominant than Us or Costa Rica, and in fact since 1990 both have advanced further in a World Cup than Mexico. I believe Russia was the lowest ranked team in this World Cup.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I think too many parents and coaches confuse winning soccer at the youth level with development.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

It's not necessarily a problem that's specific to soccer.  In baseball, the Dominican Republic can field a national team that's at least competitive with, if not better than, the USA.  Same in hockey, where Canada is equal to/stronger than the USA despite having a tenth of the population.

There may be some correlation between the population of a country and how strong that country is in any given sport, but there are so many other factors that go into it that are much more significant than population.  Culture is probably the biggest factor; how many of the 24 million (or whatever the number is) who play soccer in this country are really passionate about the sport, vs. how many play because their parents signed them up or because their friends play?  How many are kicking a ball as soon as they can walk, and how many watch games religiously? How many soccer players in the US view the sport as a potential career, where they can make it as a professional?  If you were to compare Croatia to the USA in these terms, you see why they're playing in the WC final and we didn't qualify. I think that we're making slow progress in becoming more of a soccer country; comparing the soccer "culture" in the USA in 2018 to when I was a teenager (1970s/1980s) is like night and day. But it is slow progress. 

There are other issues that explain why a small country like Croatia can crank out so many great players and we can't.  As others have said, the pay to play system and subpar scouting/talent identification are also factors. 

Having said all of that, I'll add this:  USA wins the World Cup, in 2026.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

too many parents and coaches confuse winning soccer at the youth level with development.

That is part of it. Parents are also concerned with playing time. Even if their child is the worst on the team, they expect him to be on the field as much as everyone else. I coached youth soccer, both boys and girls, and had to spend a lot of time tracking subs. I never coached travelling, but witnessed the drama that parents and coaches cause.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,329 posts

I think too many parents and coaches confuse winning soccer at the youth level with development.

I can't like posts on my phone so consider this a "like".
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,561 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

In baseball, the Dominican Republic can field a national team ... competitive with, if not better than, the USA.

IIRC, not too long ago 16 of the 26 starting MLB shortstops were from one city in the DR.
https://en.m.wikiped...dro_de_MacorĂ­s
The story is told that one successful MLBer returned and wanted to build beautifully manicured ballfields like those he saw across the USA. The legendary reply was that, if he did so, there would never be another star ballplayer from that city.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,634 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Thats part of it. Parents are also concerned with playing time. Even if their child is the worst on the team, they expect him to be on the field as much as everyone else. I coached youth soccer, both boys and girls, and had to spend s lot of time tracking subs. I never coached travelling, but witnessed the drama that parents and coaches cause.

At the rec level, its probably good for all kids to get fairly equal playing time; theres no reason to turn anyone off at that point.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users