310 replies to this topic

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah

It shouldn't be, but the transition always isn't as seamless as a lot of people are saying (see Sal Zizzo). Winning the ball off of defenders through a high press is a lot different than defending skilled strikers 1v1 and keeping on the same page as your other defenders. Someone mentioned in another thread that they thought he could be a USMNT quality fullback, there's a huge gap between that and the subpar MLS winger that he is now. Guys like Yedlin and Rogers were leaps and bounds ahead of Muyl in ability when they made that transition, and even they took some time to adjust. Not to say that it can't work for Muyl in the long run, but in a perfect world he'd have some time with RB2 there to make sure its actually a fit.

I agree with you about it's one thing to win the ball from a defender than a foward. But if he's ever going to be deployed as a fullback I think vs NE would be the best opportunity.

The have speed and while Muyl isn't Taxi speed wise I think he does have soccer IQ to know how to contain and usher a dribbler to a disadvantageous position ti then close on him and out muscle him for the ball. He's done it to midfielders.

I just think that Zizzo had a bad game so much so that this is worth a try and combined with my opinion that Etienne and Veron did better and so did Royer it's worth starting those 3, dropping Zizzo and trying Muyl at right back. Now if it was a big game like say MLS Cup Final I'd hope we'd have Murillo there. But it's early in the season, the next game is a cup game but against a team that can't finish. Now is the time to try this. To try to play with a midfielder of Veron, Royer and Etienne, with Muyl at right fullback and maybe play Sacha next to Felipe.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts
The San Jose game is the game to try stuff NOT a cup quarterfinal game

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

The San Jose game is the game to try stuff NOT a cup quarterfinal game

Tell that to Jesse who tried his 3 CB formation vs Philly last round. I agree with you but with Jesse idk what hes gonna do. Suprising for a one trick pony.

LONG LIVE METRO

Metro dummy

Metro dummy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Interests:Red Bulls soccer, the joke is on us.

If Red Bull traded 1 for 1 with NYCFC, Alex Muyl for Jack Harrison, we would come out ahead.  Anybody agree?

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts
  • Supports:Metro

If Red Bull traded 1 for 1 with NYCFC, Alex Muyl for Jack Harrison, we would come out ahead.  Anybody agree?

Absolutely no question.  It's really not even close.  Dude has 8 goals and 6 assists in 26 games.  Compare that to 3 and 3 in 24.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Reyna accepting this trade would be grounds for entering him into MLS's concussion protocol, because it'd be the only way to explain it. Harrison's a #1 draft pick who many think will make the jump to England, these days you're hard pressed to find someone who confidently thinks Muyl should even be starting in MLS.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If Red Bull traded ... for Jack Harrison

Interesting marketing possibilities.
TG his surname isn't Red Bull.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I think Muyl is still developing and has plenty of upside, but right now, with all our options healthy,  he's best used as a late game fresh legs guy, pressing and forcing mistakes. Unfortunately, after forcing mistakes, he's not great at taking advantage of them.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Muyl is like Brian Kelly of the ol' days.

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre
This isn't actually being discussed is it?

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Better question would be, does anyone disagree?

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

Exactly.  

I have trouble projecting Muyl as a good MLS player at any position in the future. He's so limited athletically and he doesn't anticipate at all defensively to make it work there.  Offensively is the only spot that I see something because he can make good runs and find spots on the field, but the problem there is his touch is bad most of the time.

He works hard.  That is definitely the one thing he does well. If he can add working smart to the working hard, then he would get better.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I think over time we'll get more out of Muyl than NYCFC will out of Harrison who will likely leave for Europe sooner rather than later. That answers a different question, of course.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
He can play as a starter in a few different spots and you'll say to yourself "we've got a good chance to win here". And if he's not starting he's a great depth player. Very Lade esque.

Still young and could improve and he's a hometown boy.

Yeah he's no Henry but as long as his salary doesn't go through the roof we should all be thankful he's here.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He can play as a starter in a few different spots and you'll say to yourself "we've got a good chance to win here". And if he's not starting he's a great depth player. Very Lade esque.

Still young and could improve and he's a hometown boy.

Yeah he's no Henry but as long as his salary doesn't go through the roof we should all be thankful he's here.

If he was playing Lade-esque minutes I don't think you'd get anyone complaining. Problem is more that he's playing Henry-esque minutes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users