#16 gala_usa

gala_usa

Noob fo' lyfe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,833 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles, USA, Bud Light

Posted 03 March 2008 - 05:00 PM

I have students who hate reading novels or may have reading comprehension issues due to low reading fluency so I'm quick to recommend comic books.

The number one requested book is : Return of the Dark Knight by Frank Miller

On occasion I'll ask for a paper and the topic is pretty straightforward: Discuss Bruce Wayne's motivations and how they adjust to each opposition he encounters. How is he a different person and/or symbol from the beginning of the book to the end?
Lakers (16x Champs) Dodgers (6x Champs) Galaxy (4x Champs) Broncos (2x Champs) LA Kings (2012 Stanley Cup Champs)
USMNT (One day, one day...)
Budlight (Weekend Champ)

It doesn't matter how simplistic you make your point, there will be someone who misunderstands you.

#17 spider

spider

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, the idiot box, wear kilts, and beer
  • Supports:Galaxy (duh), USNT, and Arsenal

Posted 05 March 2008 - 01:46 PM

Another good literary Batman is Arkham Asylum. It's a brilliant Heart of Darkness kind of journey.

Other great books include most things by Warren Ellis (especially Transmetropolitan which finished its 5 year run in 2002 but also DV-8 for pure twisted fun). Preacher by Garth Ennis (which Gala mentioned). Lucifer written by Mike Carey is a spin off of Neil Gaimen's Sandman series.

Joss Whedon's run on Astonishing X-Men has been fantastic.

I miss my addiction. I used to read comic books and graphic novels a lot more then I do these days.

#18 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:34 PM

I don't recognize any of the X-Men anymore

#19 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 05 March 2008 - 02:42 PM

bamf!
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#20 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Dodgers, Man Utd, USMNT

Posted 16 March 2008 - 08:35 PM

k so went to wizard world... much smaller than i thought, but i got an awesome drawing of kid superman, batman, wonderwoman signed by the artist

oh and got to me loeb... he was busy but cool

ccg'd two of my best books...

good times.

+++++

read powers #28: thought it was good, but still this comic comes out way to spaced out to remember what i read the week prior.

finally was about to read Infinite Crisis cause the paper back came out... liked it but nowhere near as good as Crisis on Multiple Earths of 1985... now the countdown is on for "Final Crisis"

also there's rumors of a Batman R.I.P. story arc coming up. i hope they don't kill him off. it would be a rip off claudio reyna dying.

oh, and i also got a variant red hulk cover #1. yay

Team Tucker: You might be cool, but I am ZERO cool.  Foo

#21 We Need Ngwenya

We Need Ngwenya

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, LARS, US Nats

Posted 16 March 2008 - 09:55 PM

Alright. I have to say that Superman is the most rigged superhero of all time. When I was young (like 6) I loved The Amazing Spiderman. Still have some action figures somewhere... anyway.

The Green Lantern, the Flash, Spiderman, and Silver Surfer are still my favorites.

Anyone read this book:

Posted Image
"I love Chris Klein...he's going to Heaven" - ZC

#22 Chicken Noodle

Chicken Noodle

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Female DJ's and B-Girls!
  • Supports:B Girls, Female DJ'S, Zankou!

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:26 PM

YEAH!!

Posted Image

Wow MAD PROPS, that is sick!! I see I likes.
The boogeyman is afraid of Chuck Norris. But before Chuck Norris goes to sleep, he checks his closet to make sure GEORGE PARROS isn't there.

xxxEDGExxx

Murderers Row=Shinya Aoki, Takanori Gomi, Manny PACQUIAO, Joachim Hansen, Mitsuhiro Ishida, Clay Guida, Gilbert Melendez, Kid Yamamoto, MACH Sakurai!

#23 GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy. Club America. Inter

Posted 16 March 2008 - 11:30 PM

Wow MAD PROPS, that is sick!! I see I likes.

you two should get married. :P

#24 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm waiting for more Gunslinger/Dark Tower comics.
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#25 Ed The Zombie

Ed The Zombie

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,690 posts
  • Supports:G's, Club America, WFC, USA

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:33 PM

I borrowed from my cousin's "Stan Lee's Mutants, Monster's and Marvels" on VHS and it's amazing.
Fuimos. Bebimos. Chingamos.

#26 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts
  • Interests:Galaxy, m. utd, dodgers, teaching, more dodgers...more galaxy...chickens

Posted 22 March 2008 - 03:48 PM

actually the new series just started two weeks ago... go on and pick up #1... it picks off right after the fight with the coffin hunters... and it's completely new, something that wasn't even written in the books...

#27 GUNSLINGER

GUNSLINGER

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy. Club America. Inter

Posted 22 March 2008 - 05:09 PM

actually the new series just started two weeks ago... go on and pick up #1... it picks off right after the fight with the coffin hunters... and it's completely new, something that wasn't even written in the books...

i hope you guys enjoy reading my biography.

but on a seriosu note, i love the books, the first series and i'm sure this one is gonna be good as well.

#28 haggis

haggis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,438 posts
  • Interests:Beer, Cheebs, Kebabs, Curry Sauce, all things Axl Huckleberry and my anxiety-ridden beagle, and my wife who is my life (not necessarily in that order)<br /><br />But, he's a good beagle!
  • Supports:Galaxy, Rangers, and Good Beer!

Posted 23 March 2008 - 04:19 PM

Fuck! I hope my local comic book store isn't sold out of #1. I will be there tomorrow.
Judas: "We welcomed you with open arms, but will be seeing you off with the 2 finger salute!"

BMAB: Drunkenese for By Me Another Beer!
"For fear that one drink will be lonesome, take another to keep it company, and another to keep the peace between them." -Anonymous

Hey, Kool Aid!

For the love of beer, it was a pretzel!

#29 tracer

tracer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,051 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:15 PM

so i'm always a week behind on this shit. yesterday was comic day and i haven't gone for this weeks books...

but on tuesday i picked up:

batman and the outsiders #5: one of the best new series i've read in a while. recomend it for batman fans...plus batgirl's back in this (cassandra cain).

spiderman #554: this series is starting to wear on me. things just get worse and worse for spiderman. something good has to happen right?

also picked up george r.r. martin's "the hedge knight 2" #5: apparently i missed #1-4 which i ordered. i read the first version and it was great. recomend it.

countdown to final crisis #6: this is getting good. finally less fringe shit and getting to the bottom of it.

trade paperback: the spectre: great series about a DC gotham detective turned into the spectre. not a great read but worth ten bucks.

green lantern #28: of all the things i missed when i couldn't afford comics this was the one i regret the most. the sinestro arc is amazing and i have a lot of catching up to do.

lastly, i picked up Lords of Avalon #1: a knights/arthur comic...but with the perspective of villains. so far so good...

i'll be back when i get to the store again...but i'm waiting for my mother fucking tickets that never get here.

#30 AboutaSith

AboutaSith

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,880 posts
  • Interests:Football, Football, Football! Film, Music - listening and concert going, Baseball, Ice Hockey.
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, Liverpool, St Mirren

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:12 PM

Free Comic Book Day - Saturday March 3rd 2008

4 Color Fantasies
7172 Archibald Ave,
Rancho Cucamonga, California, 91701

If ye can make the drive, my local puts on a good day for this! Last years was fun we had Star Wars Characters, X-Men, Pirates, Millenium Falcon Car, Wolverine Car and Feedback & Fat Momma from Sci-Fi's Who Wants to Be a Superheroe there plus various artists, writers too.

I've meeting them on Friday to see what's on this year and will let y'all know!
You have the capacity to learn from your mistakes. You will learn a lot today.
C'mon the Galaxy!
Liverpool for the Premier League,FA Cup & League Cup!
St Mirren for a top half finish in the SPL!
C'mon Angels!
Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users