Who is this guy and why doesn't he play more

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,144 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Veron is hit or miss... when he plays well or good... great..he is earning his pay check. The issue with him is that he is very inconsistent. And when he is bad... he is terrible.

We need more consistent performences from him. Hopefully he can become a difference maker off the bench or take that wing position.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts

I found the quotes from Jesse, Sacha and Luis interesting.  Confirms that he has had a tough time adapting to the style of play

“It says a lot that we put him in that game at the end, because we still feel like he’s a guy who can make plays and is an important guy,” Red Bulls coach Jesse Marsch said of Veron. “For him personally, I know he cares about this team so much and for him to make a big play, I think he’s in a good way. It’s a proud moment for him.”

Since arriving in August, 2015 from San Lorenzo of the Argentine Primera Division, life’s hardly been rosy for Veron. He’s appeared in 44 games for New York, starting nine, and bagged five goals and four assists along the way.

They’re not huge numbers, but captain Sacha Kljestan insisted that Veron’s late strike isn’t a shocker.

“If you look at just his statistics based on minutes played, they’re pretty good,” Kljestan said. “He’s scored some big goals for us now. Last year in LA he scored a big one for us. We all know he’s a good player. I think he needs to find his way to adapt to the way that we play, and I always hope he gets more chances to play because he’s very talented.”

Indeed, Veron has a respectable performance in 2017, considering he's played in just eight games. He's managed a goal and an assist in 167 minutes played in those eight games.

“That’s why the emotions were so high – we know he’s been battling the ups and downs of making that transition,” goalkeeper Luis Robles said. “Look, we believe in the guy and we know he’s capable of changing the game. What he was able to do tonight, for us, at least, from what we see in practice, he should be able to do that in each and every game that he comes into.”

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

For the time being, I think he still sucks.  If he can score 5 more goals by the end of the season, I will be converted and love him and think he is great.  Earn my love Gonzalo!  I want to love you!

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.

If he wasn't a DP on a huge salary, I actually think he'd have a perfect role here and we'd be happy with him in that role. The problem is, however, he's a DP and he's paid way too much to be the backup striker to BWP. 

I still agree with this... He's a bit piece, role player, a sub. He's been better coming off the bench than starting. While I think he deserves another shot after that goal to start, I don't think he's going to be highly influential like Sacha waa last year or TH14 was when Petke was in charge, but that's what's needed of a DP.

Now I may not understand the TAM thing but if they pay his DP salary down or make him a TAM and get a DP that is very influential game in game out, and keep using as a sub to try to use his speed like he did last night, then all is well.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,732 posts

I would just continue to use Veron as the top option behind BWP.   And even spell BWP a bit more if we get the opportunity to do so.  Unfortunately BWP is one of those types that always wants to play and never wants to come off, but it has to happen sometimes to help preserve for the playoffs.

I am very much against ever moving to a two striker formation outside of his switching late game to the 4-1-3-2 and swapping a 6 for a striker.  But Veron has value even in that scenario.  He's a wild card in a good way.  He doesn't do things conventionally and perhaps that's why he's shown decently in the playoffs.  He has elite level long speed and really long legs that make defenders struggle with some of his movements.

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

I found the quotes from Jesse, Sacha and Luis interesting.  Confirms that he has had a tough time adapting to the style of play

“It says a lot that we put him in that game at the end, because we still feel like he’s a guy who can make plays and is an important guy,” Red Bulls coach Jesse Marsch said of Veron. “For him personally, I know he cares about this team so much and for him to make a big play, I think he’s in a good way. It’s a proud moment for him.”

Since arriving in August, 2015 from San Lorenzo of the Argentine Primera Division, life’s hardly been rosy for Veron. He’s appeared in 44 games for New York, starting nine, and bagged five goals and four assists along the way.

They’re not huge numbers, but captain Sacha Kljestan insisted that Veron’s late strike isn’t a shocker.

“If you look at just his statistics based on minutes played, they’re pretty good,” Kljestan said. “He’s scored some big goals for us now. Last year in LA he scored a big one for us. We all know he’s a good player. I think he needs to find his way to adapt to the way that we play, and I always hope he gets more chances to play because he’s very talented.”

Indeed, Veron has a respectable performance in 2017, considering he's played in just eight games. He's managed a goal and an assist in 167 minutes played in those eight games.

“That’s why the emotions were so high – we know he’s been battling the ups and downs of making that transition,” goalkeeper Luis Robles said. “Look, we believe in the guy and we know he’s capable of changing the game. What he was able to do tonight, for us, at least, from what we see in practice, he should be able to do that in each and every game that he comes into.”

I think this captures two elements about what we've all been saying. First, he's not a great fit into the wing positions of our 4-2-3-1. That's just poor scouting from Jesse/Ali, as they did not really understand his game and tendencies.  Second, whenever he's played for us up top in that striker role that BWP occupies, Veron has been very good. We saw that last year in the brief spells up there. We saw it in CCL where he was our best player. We've also seen it this year outside of that Kansas City debacle (as an aside, he does seem like a moody guy, who sometimes lets his emotions get the better of him, which can't help him either).

I don't think it's adapting to MLS as much as our system and where he's deployed. I honestly think him paired with Urruti in Dallas would be a scary striker combo. Veron pushes hard into space which Urruti and Diaz would drift into. Someone on this board made the callous comment that when Veron injured his hamstring against Vancouver in CCL, his emotion was fake. It wasn't a guy who cared. I didn't think that at all. I saw a guy who had a very good career, come here, and he's been plagued both by injuries, and coming into a team where his game doesn't necessarily fit. I feel for him, but also for us that we went big on a guy who we thought we could utilize in the 4-2-2-2 and 4-2-3-1, but that doesn't seem like the case. It's a shitty situation. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,615 posts
Would it be better 3-5-2 with Veron up top and 5 in midfield dropping Sacha to deep lying

Or How about this ?
Veron
royer BWP Davis
Felipe Sacha Adams
Long - Collin perinelle

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • Supports:METRO

"I saw a guy who had a very good career, come here..."

I mean he played for two teams before RB, four years in Argentine second division and he scored a total of 7 goals in 66 appearances there, all in the last year and then another four for San Lorenzo where his highest goal total was 5 goals, in his first year for a total of 9 goals in 67 appearances. I'm sorry but if that is a very good career then he has been very good for us as well where he's had 5 goals in 60 appearances. 21 career goals in 8 years, 4 of them in second division, for a player you and most of us here see as a striker is not a very good career, sorry.

I like Veron and what he brings to this team and I've never called for him to be traded or cut even though I see how he struggles to do much  of substance but he's trying to play offensively unlike some other guys on this team. If the team didn't pay a $2mil transfer fee he wouldn't be trashed as much.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

arisrules

arisrules

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,245 posts

"I saw a guy who had a very good career, come here..."

I mean he played for two teams before RB, four years in Argentine second division and he scored a total of 7 goals in 66 appearances there, all in the last year and then another four for San Lorenzo where his highest goal total was 5 goals, in his first year for a total of 9 goals in 67 appearances. I'm sorry but if that is a very good career then he has been very good for us as well where he's had 5 goals in 60 appearances. 21 career goals in 8 years, 4 of them in second division, for a player you and most of us here see as a striker is not a very good career, sorry.

I like Veron and what he brings to this team and I've never called for him to be traded or cut even though I see how he struggles to do much  of substance but he's trying to play offensively unlike some other guys on this team. If the team didn't pay a $2mil transfer fee he wouldn't be trashed as much.

I don't think Veron's every put up big numbers on the finishing like you said. it's more about what he brings with other elements of his game that makes others better. That's my point about where he lines up and our system. 

Pebble

Pebble

insightful, deep and most creative

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,430 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Rangers FC, #RedBullOut
The biggest reason you don't see Veron starting is defense. In a lot of games, you can find BWP all the way back in the box defending. Veron shows none of that.

He wants to go forward, and I love that, but he provides nothing when a turnover occurs and it's important to transition into a high press to win the ball back.

#RedBullOut

Thursday, November 27, 2008 -

After another Hatch shank over the crossbar...
"And Hatch wonders why nobody is covering him." - Tony Meola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,114 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Keep it going, Gonzalo.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,839 posts
  • Supports:Metro

At this point it's a matter of when, not if, Veron surpasses Landon Donovan as the greatest player in MLS history. 

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.

I would just continue to use Veron as the top option behind BWP.   And even spell BWP a bit more if we get the opportunity to do so.  Unfortunately BWP is one of those types that always wants to play and never wants to come off, but it has to happen sometimes to help preserve for the playoffs.

I am very much against ever moving to a two striker formation outside of his switching late game to the 4-1-3-2 and swapping a 6 for a striker.  But Veron has value even in that scenario.  He's a wild card in a good way.  He doesn't do things conventionally and perhaps that's why he's shown decently in the playoffs.  He has elite level long speed and really long legs that make defenders struggle with some of his movements.

I agree with you 100%

I think Veron and Jesse and the other guys have found his niche in the system.

Veron should be continued to come off the bench and play up top trying to make touchline to touch-line runs and pull coverage towards him to give space to others and once wide to use his pace even more and get behind the back line and find a teammate in the center of the pitch for a finish.
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

Has a player gone from "sell him for what you can get" to "wow you add something to the team" faster than Veron? 

5 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users