784 replies to this topic

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Well if you thought our d situation was bad, in addition to Johnny Steele, Miami has the following ex-Metro defenders on the roster: Hunter Freeman, Tyler Ruthven, and Jonathan Borrajo.

Only ex-metro on Cinci is Eric Stevenson. 

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,757 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

Western Conference Final at Salt Lake in 2008.

Gave up like 24 shots, 2 posts, 6 corners with (!!!) Danny Cepero in goal & we win a road playoff game in another conference. That was some powerball shit right there.

One of the greatest moments in that this team has ever seen came late during that match. We had our 1-0 lead from an early vdB goal, then spent the rest of the match getting absolutely barraged. Somehow we held on for most of the game, until a long pass found Clint Mathis, wearing an RSL shirt, all alone and staring into a wide open Metro goalmouth with ball settling at his feet. With only the simplest shot needed to level the score, Mathis took the pass, looked towards goal, and... totally fucked it, missing badly and preserving a 1-0 win and a first-ever trip to the MLS Cup final for the Metro.

In my memory, after blowing that sitter, Clint turned to ESPN's goal-side camera and followed up his grand miss with a outrageous wink to all of Metroland. I know it didn't happen that way (or DID IT???), but we all know that it was, without a doubt, the single greatest miss in Metrostars history.
╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,300 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Why is this thread not pinned?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,752 posts

Miami has almost a legit MLS level team as far as talent. Freeman has great service from that position.  Poku is a damn good player and certainly MLS quality.  Michel MLS quality. Lahoud recently there.

Cinci isn't as talented but their fanbase is clearly an issue.  Usually in these spots I'd rather play the less-talented team but the fans in Cinci have me wary.  THat type of support always elevates a team.  Then again, maybe they've already gone as far as they are going to go.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 538 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Miami has almost a legit MLS level team as far as talent. Freeman has great service from that position.  Poku is a damn good player and certainly MLS quality.  Michel MLS quality. Lahoud recently there.

Cinci isn't as talented but their fanbase is clearly an issue.  Usually in these spots I'd rather play the less-talented team but the fans in Cinci have me wary.  THat type of support always elevates a team.  Then again, maybe they've already gone as far as they are going to go.

If you factor in schedules it will also be interesting. Should Cinci win it would mean them pkaying 5 games in two weeks. Miami will be on break between spring and fall seasons. So well-rested, but also potentially rusty. Presumably they're obligated to give players substantial downtime during that period. Miami played today and won't play again until the rescheduled open cup game. I'm not sure when the fall season starts exactly.

Edit: Apparently NASL season starts 7/29, so disregard. I think this means schedule-wise Cincy is our preferred opponent. 

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,203 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Well if you thought our d situation was bad, in addition to Johnny Steele, Miami has the following ex-Metro defenders on the roster: Hunter Freeman, Tyler Ruthven, and Jonathan Borrajo.

Only ex-metro on Cinci is Eric Stevenson. 

And you can bet all of them will be out 100% to beat us in a matchup.

Of the group, always liked Ruthven. Solid unassuming defender. Would have had a great long MLS career in the early 2000's. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

https://twitter.com/...929736660287488

Interesting question.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Interesting question.

I'll take the open cup and play whoever at nycfc and hope for a tie.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,623 posts

Interesting question.

Prioritize Cup. 

Play 2nd string and RB2 v NYC.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Assuming no new signings:

Open Cup:

BWP

Etienne Sacha Royer

Felipe Adams

Taxi Long Collin Murillo

Meara

City:

Veron

Etienne Davis Muyl

Felipe Metzger

Lade Long DP Zizzo

Robles

I think you could switch Lade and Taxi.  I can see Lade struggling against City, but I wouldn't worry about him against a USL or NASL squad.  Also, split minutes in the Open Cup match between Etienne and Muyl on one wing so they can both come back and play against City fairly well rested.

I get wanting to play a stronger team in the Open Cup, but for a guy like Metzger, trying to get his feet wet with the first team, would it be better for him to start against Cincy or Miami?  He was great against teams at that level last year, there really shouldn't be any concerns about him in that Open Cup match.  Maybe a good way to ease him into the first team.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,300 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Miami visit Cosmos in Coney Island on July 29.
Metro host Montreal at same time, though, so I doubt many will scout the possible USOC semi-final opponent.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

General Robles

General Robles

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Supports:New York, Newcastle, Palermo

Interesting question.

100% go for the Cup

reyes7

reyes7

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Supports:rbny

In NASL, Miami has goal diff of +22.

Next best team is +1.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

In NASL, Miami has goal diff of +22.

Next best team is +1.

They definitely seem like the favourites to win a promotion to MLS this year.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Beckham FC says otherwise

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users