• Please log in to reply
160 replies to this topic

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,382 posts

Yeah, I completely agree.  But I really do wonder if we can win an MLS Cup with guys like BWP and Sacha as our top players.  They are very good without a doubt, but not great enough.  There's just too many games that happen in big moments where we don't have the best player on the field.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 661 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Yeah, I completely agree.  But I really do wonder if we can win an MLS Cup with guys like BWP and Sacha as our top players.  They are very good without a doubt, but not great enough.  There's just too many games that happen in big moments where we don't have the best player on the field.

Looking at the last two years' playoff exits and this year's CCL, it's been more of an issue of them not playing to their usual level rather than not being good enough. If they can play at a high level and not choke in the playoffs, I think we can go all the way. Can they/will they be able do that? Remains to be seen.

Koko

Koko

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts
  • Supports:Metro

We do need a next-level player, but it has to be in the front 4.  Defense is more of a chemistry and team-D oriented thing, especially with this system.  This system will create opportunities, we need a next level player who can really do something with those opportunities.

Respectfully disagree.  We're missing one player (maybe 2, but I have to see how Lade/Murillo do at RB) to fix the defense.  

If the other team can't score then you can't lose.  ALSO, an offense runs 10 times better when they know their defense is likely to put up a zero.  

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,260 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Late here with my comments, but this was easily Muyl's best game for us.  I have never seen him show that kind of skill on the ball before.  

Thrilled that Lade was back in top form, if not top fitness... wasn't sure which Lade we were going to get, but as Jesse said afterwards, he was maybe our best player in the first half.

I'm starting to worry about Royer... as fun as he is to watch, he's had way too many absolutely shambolic missed opportunities.  Seems like a potential no-composure head case.

Tyler was simply not good.   Flashes of brilliance, but way too  many bone head mistakes.   I compare his performance to the first time Sean came in as a sub for Sacha, and looked like a 5-year starter right out of the gate.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,070 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
Perrinelle has terrible. Hopefully collin is back.

Collin had a rough start but didnt look this bad. Long so far has been the team's best defender.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 398 posts

Perrinelle has terrible. Hopefully collin is back.

Collin had a rough start but didnt look this bad. Long so far has been the team's best defender.

Which is crazy because honestly I don't think he's looked that good.  He's just looked really average, kinda like Duvall during most of his time here.  Definitely agree Collin needs another chance.  Crazy that he gets benched for the first four games after two bad showings in CCL considering he singlehandedly turnined around our defense last year.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

Koko

Koko

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Someone remind me:  How much of pre-season did Collin attend?

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,061 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Maybe the last week? I know it was very very late. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Someone remind me:  How much of pre-season did Collin attend?

He showed up about a week before the first Vancouver game, but Perrinelle showed up even a few days after that. Collin hasn't been listed on any injury reports this season though, tough to think its fitness related.

Koko

Koko

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 482 posts

Maybe the last week? I know it was very very late. 

He showed up about a week before the first Vancouver game, but Perrinelle showed up even a few days after that. Collin hasn't been listed on any injury reports this season though, tough to think its fitness related.

Was Perrinelle still rehabbing?

So we were counting on Collin to be ready for a knockout game and he shows up a week before???  Basically missing all of preseason (and then predictably playing terrible)  Is there some reason for that?  Maybe THAT's why he's in the doghouse.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,603 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Was Perrinelle still rehabbing?

So we were counting on Collin to be ready for a knockout game and he shows up a week before???  Basically missing all of preseason (and then predictably playing terrible)  Is there some reason for that?  Maybe THAT's why he's in the doghouse.

Nah he just hadn't signed his new contract yet, that didn't get signed till like Jan 25th.

Collin on the other hand, re-signed pretty early in January. No idea why kept him away from camp for most of the month.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users