• 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

BWP

Felipe

Davis Adams Sacha

Lade                        Muyl

Perrinelle Collin Long

Meara

This match is over a week away from the last one and six days before the next.  We should be playing the strongest team available with the exception of Meara for Robles.  I think the above might be it.  We looked decent in this formation when there were three real life CBs playing it, before Collin and Long went down.  I like this because it gets Davis on the pitch and puts Muyl in a wingback role, a position that highlights his strengths and doesn't ask him to do anything he struggles with.  If this isn't working at the half, sub in one or two of Royer, Veron, or Etienne and go back to the 4-2-3-1 (pick from Lade/Long/Muyl as the fullbacks and Muyl/Royer/Veron/Etienne as the wingers). 

Crossing??

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Crossing??

It's not the worst part of his game.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

I actually like Muyl but he's not a good crosser of the ball.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

I actually like Muyl but he's not a good crosser of the ball.  

Not good 1v1 and not good in front of goal either. I like him too, so I'm just looking to get him on the pitch.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Not good 1v1 and not good in front of goal either. I like him too, so I'm just looking to get him on the pitch.

He's actually shown me some nice flashes of improved 1 v 1, but not last night

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He's actually shown me some nice flashes of improved 1 v 1, but not last night

When did that happen?

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,324 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

I don't know... I have been told I'm crazy.. But I like to think outside the box...

And I just see his skill set leaning more towards a full back, with his stamina, speed, work rate, willingness to defend and fight for the ball, make runs foward.. Those are all full backs traits.. To me he isn't a winger, he lacks the winning a 1v1, vision, goal scoring ability, creative pass in thw final third, to be a winger..

To me, the kid is a forward. Plays big..wins balls in the air. Gets into scoring positions.. reminds me of twellman and woly

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

To me, the kid is a forward. Plays big..wins balls in the air. Gets into scoring positions.. reminds me of twellman and woly

Agreed, good in air and a willing runner.  Not overly clinical but as a second forward can be useful.  not the type of guy you lead the line with though 

Tied with 1 v 1 dribbling as worst part of his game imo.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Agreed, good in air and a willing runner.  Not overly clinical but as a second forward can be useful.  not the type of guy you lead the line with though 

You think he finishes better than he crosses? Maybe the missed finishes just stand out more.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts

You think he finishes better than he crosses? Maybe the missed finishes just stand out more.

Personally I think he is a worse crosser than finisher.  His biggest issue finishing wise is composure, because he does know how to strike a ball, and that can possibly improve a little over time.  He is not like a "Gervinho" who doesn't look like he knows how to hit a soccer ball. However, his finishing now is below average.  I can think off the top of my head of some solid shots Muyl has hit, but don't remember a good cross he has played in the air since he moved here.  

Poor guy was rushed because of a hole in our lineup last year, but I think he would have benefited a lot playing FWD with RB2

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Personally I think he is a worse crosser than finisher.  His biggest issue finishing wise is composure, because he does know how to strike a ball, and that can possibly improve a little over time.  He is not like a "Gervinho" who doesn't look like he knows how to hit a soccer ball. However, his finishing now is below average.  I can think off the top of my head of some solid shots Muyl hayear, but I think he would have benefited a lot playing FWD with RB2

</blockquote>

Your last point could have been something. One of his strengths is that he doesn't lose the ball easily (unless trying to beat the last defender) and his hold up play. Other than his relentless work ethic, he's just one trait away from really contributing ( finishing and crossing).

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
The strongest parts of his game at his stamina and workrate. He's getting better at the attacking aspects but his positioning and energy are what gets him into the team.

I don't mean to compare him with these players but what he does for the team is a lot like Pedro for Barca (again he is no where near his attacking ability but next to Messi and Sanchez/Villa the early 10's Barca is a good example of what we're trying to do) and Ji Sung Park for united in the late 00's early 10's. Where he would play opposite of Ronaldo / Valencia.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Muyl was an excellent forward with the academy. He dominated teams in most cases. He was the leading scorer for both the u16 and u18 championship teams. Muyl can most certainly score goals.

Muyl is also a large part of the reason Brandon Allen did so well at Georgetown. He led GTown in assists each year he wss there. Muyl can most certanly cross and provide assists.

Muyl can win the ball back from defenders but if you watch him defend a forward, you can see why he shouldnt be converted to a right back.

Lets try to remember this is just his second season as a pro and he is in a role that gets a lot of action in games.
He has shown some signs of growth this year. I expect him to be more polished to start next year.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Muyl is the next Alexander or Steele. Works hard. Scores working man goals here and there. That's about it.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts

Muyl was an excellent forward with the academy. He dominated teams in most cases. He was the leading scorer for both the u16 and u18 championship teams. Muyl can most certainly score goals.

Muyl is also a large part of the reason Brandon Allen did so well at Georgetown. He led GTown in assists each year he wss there. Muyl can most certanly cross and provide assists.

Muyl can win the ball back from defenders but if you watch him defend a forward, you can see why he shouldnt be converted to a right back.

Lets try to remember this is just his second season as a pro and he is in a role that gets a lot of action in games.
He has shown some signs of growth this year. I expect him to be more polished to start next year.

I'll admit, prior to MLS, I had never seen Muyl at the Academy level, only the USL and once at Georgetown.

My issue with Academy numbers is, half the time they dominate teams that are nowhere near their class. Hard to judge exactly how good they are if they are not challenged. As for the the USL games I've seen, he never came across as a skillful player, moreso a guy that foond succes through workrate and athlecism. The workrate is obviously high enough for MLS, I don't remember Muyl ever being outworked in a match, but I'm not sure he's athleticism will translate to the same type of success he's had at lower levels.

You've seen a lot more of him. If there's skill there that he just hasn't shown yet, I'll take your word.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users