19 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Sims will be 23 next season, so yeah, he would count 200k against the cap rather than a regular DP's cap hit, unless they rewrite the DP rules and stuff like that in the off season. 

With the upcoming CBA, there are going to be A LOT of changes to the league.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

makes you wonder what their main goal is this time. last time it was limited free agency, instead of a significantly higher salary cap. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

makes you wonder what their main goal is this time. last time it was limited free agency, instead of a significantly higher salary cap. 

They will definitely be aiming for charter flights though I don't think the league will fight them much on that.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Items I would include:

* Dissolve Single Entity
* Hold PRO accountable for poor officiating
* Charter Flights
* Eliminate Leagues Cup or offer significant financial compensation
* Eliminate GAM/TAM
* Change SuperDraft to 2 rounds then allow teams that field a USL team to draft up to 4 additional players.
* Offer additional roster spots for teams with USL sides (similar to MLB 40 man roster)
* Similarly get rid of Senior, Reserve, Supplemental roster spots.
* Elminate Discovery Player and the compensation to other team if a team actually wants to and can sign the player
* DPs shouldn't be paid more than an entire teams payroll. Fix the pay structure.
* Move free agency to 25yrs old with 5yrs experience
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Thread split??

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Items I would include:

* Dissolve Single Entity
* Charter Flights
* Eliminate Leagues Cup or offer significant financial compensation
* Eliminate GAM/TAM
* Change SuperDraft to 2 rounds then allow teams that field a USL team to draft up to 4 additional players.
* Offer additional roster spots for teams with USL sides (similar to MLB 40 man roster)
* Similarly get rid of Senior, Reserve, Supplemental roster spots.
* Elminate Discovery Player and the compensation to other team if a team actually wants to and can sign the player
* DPs shouldn't be paid more than an entire teams payroll. Fix the pay structure.
* Move free agency to 25yrs old with 5yrs experience

Agree with everything except single entity and discovery players.

Single entity will allow the league to expand to smaller market cities and have these markets be competitive.

Discovey players allows teams to not get into a bidding war for a player. Howver, the name should be rebranded to player rights

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I never fully grasped why MLS cares whether team owners get into bidding wars over players in the post-DP era. These days you're only putting discovery rights on guys who are DP caliber and MLS isn't on the hook for that anyway. So what if one team wants to outbid another?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I never fully grasped why MLS cares whether team owners get into bidding wars over players in the post-DP era. These days you're only putting discovery rights on guys who are DP caliber and MLS isn't on the hook for that anyway. So what if one team wants to outbid another?

There are still only a small number of teams willing and able to spend big.    They don't want to get run over (any more than they already are) by the ATLs and LAFCs.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

It wouldnt be fair for a team to do all the leg work to get a player open to the idea of playing in MLS and then a random MLS team comes in at the last second to swoop in. The system right now offers compensation. The compensation should be standardized if the team with the player rights doesnt want to sign him

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

It wouldnt be fair for a team to do all the leg work to get a player open to the idea of playing in MLS and then a random MLS team comes in at the last second to swoop in. The system right now offers compensation. The compensation should be standardized if the team with the player rights doesnt want to sign him

Do you even need to perform outreach to the player to claim discovery rights? I thought it was literally just calling dibs on a guy who likely has no idea he's even on a list.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Do you even need to perform outreach to the player to claim discovery rights? I thought it was literally just calling dibs on a guy who likely has no idea he's even on a list.

I assumed some research was done on a guy since there are a limited amt of players a team can call dibs on.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I assumed some research was done on a guy since there are a limited amt of players a team can call dibs on.

very fair assumption, and also very wrong.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

cBr

cBr

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
The recent tam/gam injections really improved the leagues product.

Maybe eliminate the DP slots all together or allow teams to chop up one of the DP slots financially so they can spread it around more. If the team decides to do that then obviously cap the amount.

For example. An MLS team has 1 DP left....the have the option to sign Ronaldo as a DP for whatever they want to pay him and birn up that slot or can go another route to sign 2 or 3 Players with that slot for less money.

5 year plan

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

I never understand what is meant by this or how exactly it is supposed to improve anything. Does it mean suspending referees who make mistakes so less experienced and worse rated referees are promoted to take their place? Does it mean you fine the referees, making it less attractive to be a professional referee and easing the promotion of less experience and worse rated referees?  Does it mean publicly shaming the referees, thus making it less attractive to be a professional referee?

How would any of these amount to anything more than  punishment for punishment's sake?  How would they contribute to an improvement in refereeing? 

I also do not see why this would be a collective bargaining issue for players. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

The Falcon

The Falcon

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

The Don was quoted saying they can have all charters for everyone, but they'd lose any increase in salary cap and bunch of other increases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users