68 replies to this topic

#1 TommyMack

TommyMack

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

Ok people, the time for "should we" at this match has passed and it's time for "let's work to make sure it doesn't suck".

Here's some basic facts:

1. I will be Gruppenfuhrer for this match.
2. Not all matches need a Gruppenfuhrer.
3. I will NOT be the Gruppenfuhrer when it is required next. Someone else can rotate in.
4. My job is not to tell you when to cheer, it's to help everyone cheer together.
5. As always, if the game dictates something spontaneous, I will listen to those around me, then help the rest of the squad get on board so we are one voice.

That's the job description folks. Keepin' it simple.

Now, for gameday realities:

1. I will need to be in the FRONT ROW SEAT 1 between 138/137. Our friendly security people frown about us standing in the aisle, so that's the best place for me to be.
2. I will have a really large megaphone and I will most likely spend most of the game turned around. In other words, SECOND ROW SEAT 1 might be a bit uncomfortable for someone. Fair warning.
3. We need some drummers to volunteer who know what to do. You've seen us do it for a while now, so no RockBand™ drum solos. Christian will lead you and he is the final say on it.
4. If you are far back in 138/137 and you try to start a chant, don't do it. Nobody can hear you. You tried last game because there was no direction, and for this game, there is direction.
5. You may be too cool to join in, but sacrifice a little and help the squad out. Look, the "big" clubs only have five songs they repeat... for six minutes each. We have 30. But we can go longer and we should. Let's have some fun with this...

Finally some personal notes and observations:

1. This whole 137 vs. 138 schtick is OVER. We are ALL 138, even if you stand in 137, 139, or 204. Doesn't matter. That's the heart of LARS and there's already a great song about it.
2. No more than twice a half. That means "Riot Squad We Are Here" cannot be done more than twice a half. Same for LALALALet's GO!!! and a few other greatest hits. We can do them LONGER, but I'm gonna put breaks on overuseage.
3. If you have a flag, keep it down so people can see the game. HOWEVER, wave the damn thing during songs/chants/corner kicks/free kicks. Same for scarves. We are here to boost the team, as well as cure cancer.
4. Everybody's going to be tired and drunk from the picnic. It's going to be difficult to get you sun-drenched booze-filled bastards to join in, especially if we are losing. Kindly remember that I know I'm setting myself up for massive failure, but if I'm going to make the effort, so can you.

Well, that's the start. I have more to talk about, but I'd like feedback from those of whom I have to follow and everyone else.

Mind you, this thread will be heavily moderated. Either help out, or get deleted.

Tommy "Inaugural LARS CheerNazi™" Mack

#2 Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Gen'Buck'Turgidson

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,116 posts
  • Interests:THE 5 STAGES OF LARS MEMBERSHIP
    1) LARS Worship
    2) Hyper-Enthusiasm
    3) Delusional Misbelief
    4) Cognizant Sarcasm
    5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:34 AM

Good work Thomas. Screw the haters.

I'll be both attentive and cooperative, though I'm going out on a limb and predicting I'll also be somewhat drunk.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#3 josh24601

josh24601

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,330 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, US, Greece

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:40 AM

I will be the faceless stormtrooper to your Darth Vader.

#4 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:57 AM

Per always boss. Let me know what you need me to do
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#5 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:13 AM

<B.A. Music Performance>I'll help drum</B.A. Music Performance>
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#6 mumblerlbc

mumblerlbc

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy

Posted 30 June 2008 - 05:20 PM

im always down to drum

#7 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:24 PM

we've needed a capo in the past, and it's awesome that we're finally gonna try it. I wont be there, but lets all give it a good effort.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#8 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:36 PM

Mind you, this thread will be heavily moderated. Either help out, or get deleted.

MOD EDIT: Were some of you not reading when he wrote this?

Stick to the script. Volunteers needed!
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

#9 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:05 AM

I volunteer to point out that maybe the fucking Nazi jokes should be dropped already.

#10 samoabob

samoabob

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY! Liverpool FC

Posted 01 July 2008 - 12:22 AM

I like the twice a half rule but I am assuming that it does not count for "You Can Never Rest Easy" and ref chants right?

#11 TommyMack

TommyMack

Player/Manager

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,278 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 01:03 AM

First off, thanks for everyone's replies. The "heavy moderation" was meant "if you still want to argue whether this is necessary for this game your post will be 86'd". We need some forward momentum here folks.

I'll be printing out some song sheets that'll include "Heart of Naperville etc", "Join us in a song", a few others, and most importantly... the slightly altered Dudelove masterpiece:

"Here in LA
We're the greatest of all
We like soccer and booze
It's the only way to live
IN LARS."

Furthermore, I need people like Jamesey, Loney, El Dude, Sign Guy, and a few other "blurters" to be within earshot of me. I need to FOLLOW some of the "reactionary" songs you start and then get EVERYONE in. Is there a song about them giving us two MLS cups? No? You guys come up with one and I'll start the sections.

We work together, we succeed together. If we fail, it'll be my responsibility.

But we won't fail. And yeah, we can sing Never Rest Easy more than twice a half... but we have enough REF songs to rotate. Not all refs are bastards... we can call out the diving player a few times too.

tm

#12 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:10 AM

"Here in LA
We're the greatest of all
We like soccer and booze
It's the only way to live
IN LARS."

Fine, if people think that version works better, but the whole joke of the "We love women and beer" line is a callback to "Love your women and drink your beer."

#13 LuvKeane

LuvKeane

Player/Manager

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3,303 posts
  • Interests:ROY KEANE AND FOOTBALL!!! Musical theatre (Non-Sondheim!)
  • Supports:Broadway & Prawn Sandwich Brigade

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:24 AM

Fine, if people think that version works better, but the whole joke of the "We love women and beer" line is a callback to "Love your women and drink your beer."

Yes, being that we DO have women in LARS. Hi, we're in 2008... WAKE UP!
WEST END = PRE-BROADWAY TRY-OUTS

#14 Dude Love

Dude Love

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:34 AM

Yes, being that we DO have women in LARS. Hi, we're in 2008... WAKE UP!

Doesn't scan.

#15 El_Dude

El_Dude

Steve Sampson Groupie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,089 posts
  • Interests:Pizza and Boyzzzz! And Galaxy! And BEER!
  • Supports:no one...they support me!

Posted 05 July 2008 - 01:22 PM

thoughts?

i have mine own, but they are just that...

please share what you think went right and what went wrong...
STEVE SAMPSON; STILL THE GREATEST COACH OF THE LA GALAXY. EVER. PERIOD. EXCLAMATION POINT. NUF SAID. JAJAJA!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users