202 replies to this topic

123NYwins

123NYwins

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,405 posts
  • Supports:Metropolitan SC, USA, & DC folding

Thought it was a decent turn out for a game that was not marketed anywhere. The only reason we had Chicago sold out last season was the Santos package, some heavy advertising and new stadium curiosity seekers. I have a theory about why they decided not to lift a finger this year, but I'll keep it to myself. I personally feel that there's an upper limit to the support any MLS team will get in the NY market, at least as things stand now.

I've been wondering lately if Red Bull at this point is not taking a tact that many fans would generally see as admirable.

The may be saying they're willing to spend huge amounts of money to build a first class stadium, and acquire the best players they can convince to come and play in our league, and build a first class training facility, and try to get the best TV deal so the games can be seen by the greatest number of fans, but that's it, after that the team and its play on the field has to attract the fans.

If true it's funny how this team perceived by many as a marketing gimmick has morphed into a soccer exclusive organization. I'm sure Austria hopes their devil may care edgy brand image (if that's what it is, not plugged in, really don't know for sure?) may rub off on the team and help build the fanbase but Soler/Backe/Stover and even the top soccer guy in Austria seem to be soccer only guys, no gimmicks, let the play on the field speak for itself, if anything too much so for my good.

What a contrast to the F.cosmos guys on Greene Street in Soho... who knew...

whoshotsam, if you don't mind me asking, is your theory along these lines?

#RedBullOut

"This is where I’m from. A team I represented for over 10 years. If I had been going somewhere it would have just been a job."

-Mike Petke

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.
Anyone watch the Dallas game? They listed over 20k for their attendance... think thats "actual" lol

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

coupons. Anyone who has worked in the bar/restaurant industry knows that the day your business starts accepting those coupon club discount cards is the day you have admitted things are going south quick, and your employees better start updating those resumes. I agree with everyone that last year was the single best improvement in the history of the club, because of the stadium and because of the play on the field. The fact that they would have to resort to two-for-one tickets on opening day the following year is nothing short of disgraceful. Jesus Christ, for PR value alone I would say don't do it, just take the hit. But there should be some alarm bells ringing for Stover's boss, whoever the fuck that is.

Be careful! It could be Stover's idea! :lol:
IMO, it's the kind of suggestion that pops up during a desperation brainstorming session. Someone at the head of the table points a finger & says, "Give me a marketing idea now!" If he's made a mistake & pointed at an intern, he gets a response like "Let's try Valpak! My mom says there's ads for all kinds of local businesses in there!"
The bad part is when no one says, "OK, you have to go sit in the hall with the guy who dreamed up the 'Crawling of the Bulls' campaign last year.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

whoshotsam, if you don't mind me asking, is your theory along these lines?

I hope his theory is that RB won't promote night games until it warms up! Considering that the weather was beautiful on Thursday & Friday, and sunny during the day Saturday, I wonder if attendance would have been better for a daylight game.
There's a thread on the BS MLS board stating that the highest average attendance was in 1996!
MLS reports 2010 total attendance exceeded 4 Million, average 16,675: http://www.mlssoccer...ll-season-stats
Presumably this is tickets sold & turnstile count would be about 80-85% of that. It gets wierd with freebies & rollovers (Never A Wasted Ticket programs), if a sold, unused ticket is counted again when reissued.
You can track the entire league here: http://www.mlssoccer.com/stats

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

IMAN THUG

IMAN THUG

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Supports:Miami Fusion

Anyone watch the Dallas game? They listed over 20k for their attendance... think thats "actual" lol

i watched that game...it was actual attendance...surprising but true. dallas brought in some new exec to fill seats, i guess it worked for the first game at least

Posted Image
There's a bunch of Colombians coming in Friday. New guys. They say they have two keys for us, for openers. Pure coke. Hotel in Miami Beach. I want you go over there. If it's what they say it is, you pay 'em and bring it back. You do that, you get 5 grand!

ElTriMetro

ElTriMetro

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,887 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Club America.
"You bring the heart, but WE BRING THE NOISE.." Who cares what attendance looks like, just show up, and bring the noise.

"Red Bull on the pitch - Metro in our hearts."

#RedBullOut

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,315 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Metro, US Nats
Last year:
Weekend Average Announced Attendance for Regular Season 2010: 20,465
Weekday Average Announced Attendance for Regular Season 2010: 14,394