520 replies to this topic

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts
  • Supports:Bora Bora Metro

In this same conversation I learned about the USLPro, Sean Davis (the day before it happened) and Marc's personal issues with Cahill.  Oh, yeah, Marc wants to get rid of Cahill.  His exact words were "we have a world class player as a DP and one who thinks he is". They were also planning a marketing campaign around the history of the club called "Our history, out story" to try and placate the metro crowd. That may happen, it may not after the way this went down.

with de Grandpre when there's always an ulterior motive

So as I understand this, all that talk about how De Grandpre's role would ONLY have to do with business and he wouldn't be making soccer decisions was bullshit?

Not surprised, but I don't see there are any people left who have any respect for Red Bull ownership. I guess the fact is that there are some people who feel that our role as fans of a team is to hold our arms out and let the team dump as much manure on them as possible with not a word of complaint.

I hope Red Bull can deal with owning a team that came with a substantial number of supporters who hate Red Bull ownership and will sabotage them and their brand at every opportunity. I'm not going anywhere, fuckos. It's gonna be a fucking pleasure to dance on the grave of RB ownership.

╔╦╗┌─┐┌┬┐┬─┐┌─┐  ╔═╗┌─┐┬─┐┌─┐┬  ┬┌─┐┬─┐
║║║├┤  │ ├┬┘│ │  ╠╣ │ │├┬┘├┤ └┐┌┘├┤ ├┬┘
╩ ╩└─┘ ┴ ┴└─└─┘  ╚  └─┘┴└─└─┘ └┘ └─┘┴└─

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

So as I understand this, all that talk about how De Grandpre's role would ONLY have to do with business and he wouldn't be making soccer decisions was bullshit?

Not surprised, but I don't see there are any people left who have any respect for Red Bull ownership. I guess the fact is that there are some people who feel that our role as fans of a team is to hold our arms out and let the team dump as much manure on them as possible with not a word of complaint.

I hope Red Bull can deal with owning a team that came with a substantial number of supporters who hate Red Bull ownership and will sabotage them and their brand at every opportunity. I'm not going anywhere, fuckos. It's gonna be a fucking pleasure to dance on the grave of RB ownership.

I have been waiting for someone to clarify all that.  We were told its a Chinese Wall between the business side and the sport side.    Obviously, there will always be gray areas (especially with big-name DP signings obviously crossing over into both sides of the house)  but if Marc is Ali's boss.... well, it would be good to know.    And I still don't understand the where Houllier is fits in with that other guy who's name recently popped up as head of global soccer for RB.   Speculation is a lot more efficient when you know who's working for whom.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

I can't believe I just read a sports article about somebody getting blocked on twitter. There is no hope for humanity.

Truth of the matter is that Red Bull is a fucking trainwreck and has alienated practically everyone, even a journalist about to enter his fifth decade of covering pro soccer in the US. Thanks to their bullshit, he has to rely on things like Twitter to have to get any sense of what's going on, and that column was a note that Cahill is making himself unavailable to the local soccer media, and suggesting that this is indicative of his disconnection and possible exit from RB.

I guess if we don't want to read Michael Lewis, we can stick to the compromised reporting on team and league controlled websites, but you have to read those like Pravda, very much between the lines. 

EstonianAssassin

EstonianAssassin

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Tottenham

not sure if folks noticed this but Frasier Commented about the town hall: http://www.torontosu...d-bull-new-york

an interesting this is that he mentions that he was a free agent.

Confirming what a lot of people said. He was offered multiple years and the prospect of making stuff happen. Which is what's going on over there. Contrasted with year to year bullshit and a 300 page spiral bound with doodles on it.

RMK

RMK

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Supports:Metro, CFR Cluj

http://www.bigapples...rticle_id=39924

Michael Lewis indicating Cahil blocked him on Twitter. 

When during the town hall did they say Cahilll was holding them hostage?

I heard the tricky part but not the hostage part.

If I recall correctly the questioner used the word hostage but Marsch did not use those words in his answer.

Haig

Haig

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,793 posts

I have been waiting for someone to clarify all that.  We were told its a Chinese Wall between the business side and the sport side.    Obviously, there will always be gray areas (especially with big-name DP signings obviously crossing over into both sides of the house)  but if Marc is Ali's boss.... well, it would be good to know.    And I still don't understand the where Houllier is fits in with that other guy who's name recently popped up as head of global soccer for RB.   Speculation is a lot more efficient when you know who's working for whom.

Somebody has to hire the "sporting director" or whatever, and I'm not entirely averse to that being the GM.

But at that point, the business side needs to check out. I don't WANT to hear what Marc De Grandre has to say about soccer. At all. 

Red Bull's fundamental problem is the perception that the soccer team is just a channel to promote the RB brand and the product line, and that soccer decisions are made with Red Bull in mind, not to field the best soccer team as possible.

There's no wonder that RB wants to obscure the fact that the business side is making soccer decisions. Do I think Cahill ought to be on the team? Probably not, if he's not committed. But the fact that De Grandpre would be doing the right thing by getting him out does not justify the apparent fact that the business side is in fact making soccer decisions, demonstrating once again that Red Bull tells lies.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
[quote name="EstonianAssassin" post="1240696" timestamp=300 page spiral bound with doodles on it.[/quote]
Lol - Ali C strikes me as a Trapper Kepper sorta guy. Neat and organized. Gus Fringe wanna be.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Roxurgh was still technically in charge at the time, but de Grandpre was clearly privvy to every decision being made across the board.  Whether he's running the show or not I can't prove.  I can prove that he's clearly being updated on the soccer side though.

#RedBullOut

joshikon

joshikon

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 67 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Toronto FC assistant coach Robin Fraser addresses unrest at Red Bull New York

http://www.torontosu...d-bull-new-york

Thunderbolt7

Thunderbolt7

Second Banana

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  • Supports:Metro

They were also planning a marketing campaign around the history of the club called "Our history, out story" to try and placate the metro crowd.

We were invited to a meeting late last year about this. #MetroMonday was going to be the first step of their "our history" initiative, and they asked us (really, Dan) if we would approve of them using MetroFanatic content to supplement what they still had available to them - the implication was that certain information didn't survive the Austrian invasion.

At the time despite whatever reservations we might have had about being "used" for a sales pitch, we were glad to offer whatever help the club wanted as long as they were willing to make a sincere effort at reconnecting with Metro history.

It should go without saying that we will no longer participate in any such initiative.

"On the wall behind my desk is the greatest symbol of American power ever -- no, not Jeff Agoos..." -Michael Davies

Steve Jolley......noted philanthropist
Steve Jolley......guarantor of victory
Steve Jolley......temporary forward
Steve Jolley......thirty second substitute
Steve Jolley......Vanity Fair's most wanted man

Steve Jolley......300-page plan consultant

Steve Jolley......live podcast color commentator
Steve Jolley......everyman
Steve Jolley......bleeder
Steve Jolley......HERO.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

We were invited to a meeting late last year about this. #MetroMonday was going to be the first step of their "our history" initiative, and they asked us (really, Dan) if we would approve of them using MetroFanatic content to supplement what they still had available to them - the implication was that certain information didn't survive the Austrian invasion.

At the time despite whatever reservations we might have had about being "used" for a sales pitch, we were glad to offer whatever help the club wanted as long as they were willing to make a sincere effort at reconnecting with Metro history.

It should go without saying that we will no longer participate in any such initiative.

I had no idea.  Wow, that's powerful.  Good for you guys! 

Fuck Marc de Grandpre.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users