• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

chung'sblast

chung'sblast

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 585 posts
This is bullshit. None of these people matter. If we're not talking to Dietrich or at least Houllier, we're not talking to the problem. It would be better if 300 people stood outside and protested and demanded that we get a meeting with those guys (so we can tell them to sell the team) than it would to go to this PR stunt.
35th minute- Red Bulls fans back on the East Coast should know that the 50 Red Bulls fans are making more noise than the rest of the stadium right now.

"I can't believe you guys sing the whole game," -- DC security guard, who apparently isn't used to that from supporters...

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
I'm going to try to go and I already know what I'm going to say and I won't even have to raise my voice to say it.

Very simply I'm going to say something along the lines of something like heading into our 20th season with no mls cup with a new team just across town this move had to be the worst timing possible. With some fans already jumping ship this only makes the jump for some of them even easier. What did Petke do to deserve to get fired? Was he not producing? Having back to back seasons of a supporters shield and one goal away from the cup final is the greatest success we have had in consecutive years. Why would you try to fix something that wasn't broke? Why is consistency a bad thing?

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

This x1,000. My line of work takes me to a not insignificant number of these kinds of events. Some pointers...

1) Don't get emotional. I know this is an emotional issue, but it needs to be made clear this is about more than a coach. This is about 17 years in the wilderness, with a constant churn of personnel and no real direction before Petke literally fell into their laps and gave the team a personality and a direction. There's going to be 300 people there. You can't guarantee all of them are going to be as pissed as you are. Once you start getting emotional, rather than rational, you seem like a lunatic and lose support. One of two of these types and your cause is torpedoed.

2) Kind of related to #1: Don't yell. The best way to get your point across is to be blunt. You might think raising your voice is some kind of theatrical flourish, but it's not.

3) Stay on message. Once it becomes about "and then and then and then" you lose people. We're pissed because, after 17 years of futility, we had in place a coach (who just happened to be a fan favorite) who built a team we could be proud of, who was unceremoniously fired for no reason.

4) You're going to have three minutes max to speak. Probably more like two. Maybe less if they want to be particularly underhanded. Keep it short and pointed. If you can't get a direct, pointed question out in two minutes, don't speak, don't go and give your spot to someone else, as hard as that may be. Nobody's here to listen to your five minute rant. We want answers and accountability. Make them face the music.

Basically, rationality > emotion and keep it short.

Take these for what they're worth, but I've seen plenty of people with legitimate questions and concerns dismissed because they come off as lunatic windbags. The last thing you want is to give Curtis the satisfaction of driving home with the impression his critics are crazy people.

Bingo!!! Well said, well advised, well done! (take a bow)

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Big Daddy

Big Daddy

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 430 posts
  • Interests:Your Mom
  • Supports:USA, NYRB, Millonarios, Celtic, LFC

Also do not wear RB gear. If anything wear Metro and show up drinking Monster. 

I plan on wearing my "In Petke We Trust" shirt.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts
  • Supports:Metro

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts
Anyone want to guess how long before YSA chant comes out?
I'm not advocating I'm not even a fan if the chant just wondering

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

If that wasn't a clear indication that things would get way worse under RBGmbH's stewardship than it was with AEG I've yet to see anything that was.

Like I said at the time - the end of an era, the beginning of an error.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

bukie2k

bukie2k

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,188 posts
  • Supports:ManU, Cosmos, Metros

Anyone want to guess how long before YSA chant comes out?
I'm not advocating I'm not even a fan if the chant just wondering

What is left to lose? The franchise is on its last turn around the bowl before it goes down. Fuck it, rock out to your hearts content.

When you are born, you get a ticket to the freak show. If you are born in the United States, you get a front row seat. - George Carlin

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Its first come first serve...the first 300 ppl to rsvp get to go.

I highly doubt that, they know much more about who is their kind of fan and who is not. You know that people from here will be waiting for the email and RSVPing right away but at the meeting you will see a much more varied group, they will pick and choose who to invite but it won't matter much. 

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

nlk10010

nlk10010

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

I highly doubt that, they know much more about who is their kind of fan and who is not. You know that people from here will be waiting for the email and RSVPing right away but at the meeting you will see a much more varied group, they will pick and choose who to invite but it won't matter much. 

"Much more varied group" = "shills". :)

"The company loves its money.

If they could, they'd go to strip clubs and throw naked women at money."

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

FWIW, you got to admire them for doing this. My reason is this, because they really didn't have to. They could have just ducked down and let the rancor die a little during the season, and let you guys suffer in silence. But they decided give us folks a chance to blow off some steam and MAYBE get some well-deserved answers.

Take advantage of this if you can, but thoward18 put it very well, THINK before you speak, don't fall for the spin, and try to be nice!

Be the better fan!!!

I made this suggestion to Marc in October.  If I knew they were gonna do it after sacking Petke as a PR spin piece I would've kept the idea to myself.

#RedBullOut

Barcaredbulls

Barcaredbulls

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 160 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Ali Curtis. 

1. "You have stated that the decision to replace Mike is not a reflection of whether or not we're embracing tradition and that the fans will embrace the move.  You also said it is a move that "had to be done."" 

However, Mike Petke, wasn't just our coach, but one of us.  He bled red, white and black both as a player and a coach.  No one in this room support s this decision. In fact, if the supporters embraced the move, you would not be here in damage control mode. You didn't just fire a coach you removed the heart of the team and replaced him with an out of work volunteer assistant college coach who described our team as an energy drink.   By saying this move had to be done, you are spitting in our face because in essence, you fired your supporters."

2.   How do you intend to accomplish your 300 page unabomber-like manifesto with a 1 year contract and an out of work volunteer college coach who by all  media accounts was your 5th choice?

joshgabs

joshgabs

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, USMNT

This may just be me being the resident optimist, but I wouldn't be surprised if RBNY announces a player signing prior to the Town Hall meeting to calm nerves down. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,581 posts

Ali C: You are a metrics guy.  For me the only metric that will matter in 2015 is the team making and/or winning the MLS CUP - i.e.exceeding 2014 performance.  If not you've failed.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

How much do you think it would be to get 300 "Red Bull Out" shirts printed to hand out before the meeting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users