239 replies to this topic

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I just looked and apparently Muyl is 5'11"? Why does he seem so much shorter out there?

Kids got a motor but no finishing touch, not sure I see him as a striker.

to quote the great Arsene Wenger I don't think Muyl is a "natural finisher" but his motor would free up a lot of space for our team playing in our narrow setup.  I also think that he has a good shot (i.e. shot at end of RSL game) and underrated technique, but just needs to calm down a bit when he gets in scoring situations.  I think his attributes fit better up top than Etienne for example who they now play as a forward.  And as elf mentioned he has a pretty good leap as well.  

None of these points account for the defensive contributions he would also make up there pressing with BWP.  Though this is exactly what the USL is for, they could easily test this experiment out down there and see how it works.  

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

to quote the great Arsene Wenger I don't think Muyl is a "natural finisher" but his motor would free up a lot of space for our team playing in our narrow setup.  I also think that he has a good shot (i.e. shot at end of RSL game) and underrated technique, but just needs to calm down a bit when he gets in scoring situations.  I think his attributes fit better up top than Etienne for example who they now play as a forward.  And as elf mentioned he has a pretty good leap as well.  

None of these points account for the defensive contributions he would also make up there pressing with BWP.  Though this is exactly what the USL is for, they could easily test this experiment out down there and see how it works.  

I'd like to Muyl up top as well.  When the opposition decides not to play out of the back Muyl's offensive effectiveness as a winger is limited because his game is mostly based on pressing. Maybe his direct style may benefits from playing as a forward.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think Muyl's future is as a rotation player. Top bench option for fresh legs. Capable of starting some games when needed. In 90% of situations I trust Jesse's understanding of soccer more than mine but one thing that really annoys me is when the team has a lead and then he subs on Grella in the 65th minute. This should be Muyl's niche. The work rate and strength is a bitch for the other team to deal with and it keeps the ball in the opposition end.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I think Muyl's future is as a rotation player. Top bench option for fresh legs. Capable of starting some games when needed. In 90% of situations I trust Jesse's understanding of soccer more than mine but one thing that really annoys me is when the team has a lead and then he subs on Grella in the 65th minute. This should be Muyl's niche. The work rate and strength is a bitch for the other team to deal with and it keeps the ball in the opposition end.

assuming he will never get better, that is a role for him that he can excel in.  Will be interesting to see if he can further develop the other parts of his game, so that does not become his ability ceiling.  Luckily he is still a young player who has a chance to grow some more.  

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

assuming he will never get better, that is a role for him that he can excel in.  Will be interesting to see if he can further develop the other parts of his game, so that does not become his ability ceiling.  Luckily he is still a young player who has a chance to grow some more.  

Its an interesting discussion, and maybe I'm just a cynic, but I feel like the parts of Muyl's game that are missing are very difficult to "develop". That coolness and composure when finishing, the confidence to take defenders on the dribble, the ability to pick out a pass nobody else on the fields sees coming. That's all stuff I feel that you need, at least to a certain extent, to be born with.

Obviously its not impossible, we've all seen how much Kljestan has developed as a #10 so late in his career, but I feel like he's more a rare exception than the rule. But then there's a guy like Royer who is further along in his career than Muyl and still looks like his brain goes into full on panic mode any time he's within 18 yards of the goal.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,463 posts

Its an interesting discussion, and maybe I'm just a cynic, but I feel like the parts of Muyl's game that are missing are very difficult to "develop". That coolness and composure when finishing, the confidence to take defenders on the dribble, the ability to pick out a pass nobody else on the fields sees coming. That's all stuff I feel that you need, at least to a certain extent, to be born with.

Obviously its not impossible, we've all seen how much Kljestan has developed as a #10 so late in his career, but I feel like he's more a rare exception than the rule. But then there's a guy like Royer who is further along in his career than Muyl and still looks like his brain goes into full on panic mode any time he's within 18 yards of the goal.

I do think players get better at passing as they get older. Generally speaking, that's what tends to happen in hockey as well.  I think the game slows down and the player gets smarter in terms of figuring out what works for creating scoring chances.

He'll probably become a better passer as time goes because he's a bright kid who works hard.  Players with those traits typically figure out ways to get better.

One area you're right about though is the composure when trying to score. That you can't teach. He's also a rigid player that doesn't hit the ball with much finesse so that's not a great thing either.

PaintThisCityRed

PaintThisCityRed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USA

That reminds me of the Pele movie I was watching the other day. Gotta practice your touch with mangos :)

Plastic ain't got no soul.

No Red Bull. No Wings.

McSoccer

McSoccer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I like bringing Grella on late if we have the lead.  He's good in possession and does the little things to kill games off.  Sub them both on.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,322 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

A couple weeks ago, I would have agreed.    But he's been showing some 1 v 1 offensive ball skills lately I never saw from him before, which was the biggest missing piece from his game.   If he can start delivering productive crosses (one of the easier skills to develop), he moves past being a mere rotation player.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

PaintThisCityRed

PaintThisCityRed

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, USA

MSG reports on Veron's trip to Argentina http://www.msgnetwor...ling-hamstring/

Plastic ain't got no soul.

No Red Bull. No Wings.

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,089 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Remember when we were so close to signing McClean?!?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,640 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Remember when we were so close to signing McClean?!?

His life woulda been so much easier over here, nobody gives a shit about poppy flowers.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls
I am amazed he has to go to Argentina for an evaluation for a muscle injury considering we a a few good doctors and physical trainers that can interpret an MRI and come up with a treatment course. I say cut our losses and move on.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,047 posts
  • Interests:Football and Football, heading to the beach and the lake. Spending time with fam at parties and reading existentialism philosophy oh yeah cant forget anime. Oh yea and MiLo is pronounced Mee-Low, its short for Camilo.
Veron is still on the team?!
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
Thankfully Veron is back so we can revive this thread 😜

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users