Mickey Mouse.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,844 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Updating a stat I posted in the offseason. Over the last 27 games (23 regular season, 2 playoff, 2 CCL), this team has registered a total of six goals that weren't either scored or assisted by Sacha Kljestan or Bradley Wright-Phillips. Four of those six are own goals. This is fucking concerning. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts
4-2-3-1 please

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Updating a stat I posted in the offseason. Over the last 27 games (23 regular season, 2 playoff, 2 CCL), this team has registered a total of six goals that weren't either scored or assisted by Sacha Kljestan or Bradley Wright-Phillips. Four of those six are own goals. This is fucking concerning. 

Team needs more talent

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,193 posts

The promising 2-0 start seems so far away 

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,691 posts

Team needs more talent

We're basically a NASL team with klejstan and bwp. And one of those players is being played out of position

5 year plan

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,893 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We're basically a NASL team with klejstan and bwp. And one of those players is being played out of position

Ok things aren't great right now but we're not that bad... 

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,963 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

Seems like we are trying to win based on Jesse's systems rather than talent to prove he is some sort of innovator in the MLS.  We need playmakers!

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,621 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Seems like we are trying to win based on Jesse's systems rather than talent to prove he is some sort of innovator in the MLS.  We need playmakers!

A) They are not Jesse's systems

2)  We make plays.  We don't score goals.  We need finishers.

III) We need defense

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

A) They are not Jesse's systems

2)  We make plays.  We don't score goals.  We need finishers.

III) We need defense

This 

+

we need our players to play at something like the level they did last summer into fall.

playmakers?  like Veron (3,2,1..... never ending Veron discussion ;-)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
Listening to seeing red daily today it sounds like Jesse is ready to jettison the 4-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2. I don't think that's such a bad idea because, as he himself admitted, it's given us too many flat performances.

He also bemoaned the 1v1 defensive battles to which I would say "you made your own bed in the off season Jesse". Time to go shopping.

I agree this formation isn't working but I'm not sold on going back to the 4-5-1 because we all know how that's going to end. I like what I'm seeing early from Gulbrandsen and Ettienne and the reality is that when healthy Grella and Veron are still halfway decent striker options in this league. So I'm nothing more than an armchair quarterback but I'm pretty sure there are more than 2 formations to play and different tactics that could be employed.

I'd love to see this team try out a 4-4-2 with the fullbacks given specific instructions to STAY HOME. A lot of the goals we give up happen when one (or both) of our outside backs are caught out of position. Yeah we're not going to create as many chances, but I think it would give us a better balance. I'd also like to finally see this guy Murillo to see if a 3 man backline might work. Place Adams and Felipe in front of them with similar instructions: STAY HOME. Hell even a 4-3-3 might work as long as the middle 3 don't go on a walkabout.

So yeah this particular formation isn't really working and isnt playing to everyone's strengths, but it's a panick move that will screw us later on if we go back to the same old song and dance.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Listening to seeing red daily today it sounds like Jesse is ready to jettison the 4-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2. I don't think that's such a bad idea because, as he himself admitted, it's given us too many flat performances.

He also bemoaned the 1v1 defensive battles to which I would say "you made your own bed in the off season Jesse". Time to go shopping.

I agree this formation isn't working but I'm not sold on going back to the 4-5-1 because we all know how that's going to end. I like what I'm seeing early from Gulbrandsen and Ettienne and the reality is that when healthy Grella and Veron are still halfway decent striker options in this league. So I'm nothing more than an armchair quarterback but I'm pretty sure there are more than 2 formations to play and different tactics that could be employed.

I'd love to see this team try out a 4-4-2 with the fullbacks given specific instructions to STAY HOME. A lot of the goals we give up happen when one (or both) of our outside backs are caught out of position. Yeah we're not going to create as many chances, but I think it would give us a better balance. I'd also like to finally see this guy Murillo to see if a 3 man backline might work. Place Adams and Felipe in front of them with similar instructions: STAY HOME. Hell even a 4-3-3 might work as long as the middle 3 don't go on a walkabout.

So yeah this particular formation isn't really working and isnt playing to everyone's strengths, but it's a panick move that will screw us later on if we go back to the same old song and dance.

interesting to hear he is thinking the same as us

I think a 4-1-3-2 would suit us best  although a 3-2-3-2 would be interesting as well. 

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,183 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
I would prefer a 5-3-2

Have wing backs attack. And the CB is the guy who distributes the ball.

Zizzo...Collin...Perrinelle...Long...Lade

..........................Davis/adams.........

....................Felipe.....Sasha..........

..............................Royer.............

...........................BWP..................

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa

4-3-3, I'm tellin yous. Basically 4-2-2-2 except sacha goes to the middle and Royer moves up to the forward line. They like to play quick and direct through the middle with SK distributing up to wings and hitting throughballs to BWP, this lets them do that.

Our fullbacks are not good enough to be the only ones providing width. If they get pinned back defending, the shape becomes very narrow on the counter.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,843 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

yeah, for anyone to suggest a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 formation or anything that isn't 4-2-2-2 or last yr's 4-2-3-1...

doubtful jesse does it. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users