134 replies to this topic

General Robles

General Robles

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Supports:New York, Newcastle, Palermo
In keeping with our trend on the road, 5-1 Orlando.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
So is Kaka back? Are we going to allow Larin and Co. shoot at will? Cause that's what it looked like last game.

elf

elf

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,145 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

yeah, for anyone to suggest a 3-5-2 or 5-3-2 formation or anything that isn't 4-2-2-2 or last yr's 4-2-3-1...

doubtful jesse does it. 

The reason i suggested a 5-3-2 ¡s because the defense stinks.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,492 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

A bad defense isn't helped by simply making it more crowded and reducing our time of possession.

We can't go to a 3 man back because we are already thin at CB.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

A bad defense isn't helped by simply making it more crowded and reducing our time of possession.

We can't go to a 3 man back because we are already thin at CB.

Agree completely.

I think the reason our defense has struggled more is because we don't play in the other team's half like we did in the 4-2-3-1.

Plus also because of the dumb decision to not have Collin in there full time, as well as him getting hurt.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Agree completely.

I think the reason our defense has struggled more is because we don't play in the other team's half like we did in the 4-2-3-1.

Plus also because of the dumb decision to not have Collin in there full time, as well as him getting hurt.

I was under the impression that a big selling point of the 4-4-2 was that the extra striker would force turnovers in more dangerous areas, but that just flat out hasn't happened yet. Maybe its because guys like Veron, Gulbrandsen, and Etienne aren't as adept at defending compared to Muyl and Grella, or maybe the new shape is just easier for other teams to pass through, but I can barely recall a single scoring opportunity created through our press this year.

Its the first time in Marsch's tenure that it feels like the other team is bringing the game to us, and now instead of just being vulnerable to the counter we're getting peppered from all directions.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Agree completely.

I think when I last checked (and I was very surprised by it) but we actually are one of the league leaders in playing with the ball in the other teams half/third and the numbers are comparable to last year.  Though I strongly believe (with no stats to back it up) that teams are able to sustain possession in our third now easily.  Instead of quickly turning it over there.  

Another thing I want to watch more carefully in the next games is the work of our wide midfielders defensively.  I would not be surprised if having Sacha out the wide has really weakened us defensively on the left, especially with how much Kemar overlaps.  And anyone compared to Muyl does less defensive work.  This combo is making us over pinch out wide when we press to stay compact, so when teams break through there the middle is completely open.  Whereas you generally want to be tight in the middle and force people wide.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I was under the impression that a big selling point of the 4-4-2 was that the extra striker would force turnovers in more dangerous areas, but that just flat out hasn't happened yet. Maybe its because guys like Veron, Gulbrandsen, and Etienne aren't as adept at defending compared to Muyl and Grella, or maybe the new shape is just easier for other teams to pass through, but I can barely recall a single scoring opportunity created through our press this year.

Not being able to press has been the wrap on Veron, but he was more effective pressing than either Grella or Mutl in the playoffs.

Komba

Komba

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,759 posts

I think when I last checked (and I was very surprised by it) but we actually are one of the league leaders in playing with the ball in the other teams half/third and the numbers are comparable to last year.  Though I strongly believe (with no stats to back it up) that teams are able to sustain possession in our third now easily.  Instead of quickly turning it over there.  

Another thing I want to watch more carefully in the next games is the work of our wide midfielders defensively.  I would not be surprised if having Sacha out the wide has really weakened us defensively on the left, especially with how much Kemar overlaps.  And anyone compared to Muyl does less defensive work.  This combo is making us over pinch out wide when we press to stay compact, so when teams break through there the middle is completely open.  Whereas you generally want to be tight in the middle and force people wide.

I agree with a lot of that.  And I especially agree with what you said about us not being able to gain possession quick enough when opposing teams do find their way to our half.

Sacha offers nothing defensive when he's out wide and is a liability because he doesn't even make it tough on the opposing team.  I don't begrudge Sacha for that, it's just the way he is.  He has to be playing more central and free to roam with no huge defensive responsibilities.   When he's wide, it just sticks the outside back with the FULL defensive responsibilities.

Don't know though.. Still hard to get too worked up about it.  Look at each of the Houston goals.

First goal was on the corner... Missed assignment by Etienne I think.  PRobably not gonna happen again.  Second goal was a complete and total bullshit call by the ref.  Third goal was on Robles (still don't know what happened on that play) and the other was on a free kick.

Our top offensive guys just don't create enough chances... Whoever has played the spot next to BWP hasn't done well enough... Some flashes from each of them, but ultimately close calls really don't matter.  They must finish.

Sacha still very little. 

defendyourself

defendyourself

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 486 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Its the first time in Marsch's tenure that it feels like the other team is bringing the game to us, and now instead of just being vulnerable to the counter we're getting peppered from all directions.

totally missed this.  I think the 4-2-2-2 is better connected to press better, but our athletes are not distributed properly when we press in this formation.  2 forwards make it easier to initiate the press from either side at any given time but once the ball gets pushed wide the wingers need to trap the wingback who receives the ball.  Sacha I don't think is best suited for that kind of role.  He would be better off starting press and pushing them towards our faster guys.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,741 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Theoretically this makes sense.

However, last year every time we subbed an extra defender in to preserve a lead and have a five man back, we blew the lead.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Theoretically this makes sense.

However, last year every time we subbed an extra defender in to preserve a lead and have a five man back, we blew the lead.

But even with an extra defender, we still had both fullbacks deep into the attacking half.  That imo was why the extra defender never worked.

Frankly, since I am merely a fan and a not a fancy American soccer writer, I'm going to congratulate Wright-Phillips on a well hit goal. If I was an American soccer writer, I'd claim that the recently retired Henry was wearing an invisibility cloak and carried the ball into the net for the obviously unskilled Wright-Phillips.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,805 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

----------BWP

---------sacha

royer-------------------muyl

-------davis--felipe

lawrence--long--perinelle---lade

-------------robles

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,804 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Any word on the extent of Collin's injury?

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,935 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Any word on the extent of Collin's injury?

Marsch said it's not as bad as originally thought and that he could be back in training Thursday.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users