64 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

He hardly struggled.   Other than the screw up, he was very well liked at RSL (and at the Monarchs for them  before that) and arguably has over-achieved given the lack of talent he took over there.    

didnt the coaches replace him do better?

If he was well liked he wouldnt have gotten suspended multiple times and fired twice.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

He just added to our loaded trophy case ...

With a squad that had henry, olave, dax and cahill... he should of added more. Arguably the most talented line up in MLS and he only won the supporters shield during his time here.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

he only won the supporters shield .

Should have cured cancer, as well.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

With a squad that had henry, olave, dax and cahill... he should of added more. Arguably the most talented line up in MLS and he only won the supporters shield during his time here.

Winning multiple competitions is as much about depth as it is about the four best guys on your roster, probably moreso. Whether you blame Petke or Red Bull for the lack of depth during his tenure is up for debate. We all know it wasn't a Red Bull priority until 2015, but from what I've read here from people who know more than me, Petke had a pretty bad reputation for working with young talent too.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Winning multiple competitions is as much about depth as it is about the four best guys on your roster, probably moreso. Whether you blame Petke or Red Bull for the lack of depth during his tenure is up for debate. We all know it wasn't a Red Bull priority until 2015, but from what I've read here from people who know more than me, Petke had a pretty bad reputation for working with young talent too.

I've never heard that, but if true, the same was said about Backe, and pre-USL squad, we had no young talent to work with.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Petke had a pretty bad reputation for working with young talent too.

Really? Outside of a super young and raw Amando Moreno and his agent (who barely saw any minutes in Mexico, then played with our USL team when he came back and has done very little for Chicago), I don't know of anyone who said this.

In fact, he played Chris Duvall at right back so much as a rookie, his asst coaches advised shutting him down for the rest of the season.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Really? Outside of a super young and raw Amando Moreno and his agent (who barely saw any minutes in Mexico, then played with our USL team when he came back and has done very little for Chicago), I don't know of anyone who said this.

In fact, he played Chris Duvall at right back so much as a rookie, his asst coaches advised shutting him down for the rest of the season.

Then I take that back, must have my rumors mixed up.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

didnt the coaches replace him do better?

If he was well liked he wouldnt have gotten suspended multiple times and fired twice.

this is some troll level nonsense I don't expect here.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

During the Petke era, only 2 players who were "young" played heavy 1st team minutes, the rest played sparingly. 

in '13, iirc, the "young" players were with minutes played w/1st team:

Lade-256 

Bustamente-185

Meara-180

Akpan-136

Bover-125

Moreno-92

Obekop-69

Miazga-14

Martinez-11

in '14, the "young" players were:

Duvall-1871

Oyongo-1551

Miazga-680

Meara-450

Bover-435

Sene-402

Christianson-279

Stevenson-270

Obekop-223

Lade-182

Akpan-61

Bustamente-1

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts

in '13, iirc, the "young" players were with minutes played w/1st team:

Lade-256 

Bustamente-185

Meara-180

Akpan-136

Bover-125

Moreno-92

Obekop-69

Miazga-14

Martinez-11

in '14, the "young" players were:

Duvall-1871

Oyongo-1551

Miazga-680

Meara-450

Bover-435

Sene-402

Christianson-279

Stevenson-270

Obekop-223

Lade-182

Akpan-61

Bustamente-1

so during the Petke era, only 2 players who were "young" played heavy 1st team minutes, the rest played sparingly. 

And they all sucked (or weren't ready).  How many of them ever got minutes anywhere else?

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

would've been advantageous to us had we mirrored LA and started up the USL team a yr earlier. 

imo, I just don't think Petke trusted young players. they prob didn't have the mentality he wanted, which is why he'd play Armando more than Miazga. and how could the young guys develop w/o the reserve squad.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

this is some troll level nonsense I don't expect here.

Facts are facts

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts

Didnt marsch win the supportors shield with petke's backups?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

Kljestan

Felipe

Grella

Taxi

were massive contributors to Marsch's 1st yr but weren't here for Petke.

11 players from Petke's '14 team who played 1000+ mins in all comps were gone after that season:

Alexander

Henry

Olave

Sekagya

Miller

Peguy

Cahill

Armando

Oyongo 

Eckersley

Kimura

that and 8 more players who had fewer than 1000 mins in all comps.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

would've been advantageous to us had we mirrored LA and started up the USL team a yr earlier. 

imo, I just don't think Petke trusted young players. they prob didn't have the mentality he wanted, which is why he'd play Armando more than Miazga. and how could the young guys develop w/o the reserve squad.

IIRC, in Mikes last season, Miazga was sent off with a red card and then basically never saw the pitch again. And, Duvall had a horrendous match at LAG(?) and more or less rode pine the rest of the season.

He did give two young guys a lot of minutes, but shut them down when they messed up, IIRC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users