• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1063 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
Other teams have gone out and made improvements while we sat on our hands and did nothing.

Losing the leagues best 2 way mid didnt help either

This was inevitable

5 year plan

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal

Didn't we go like 1-5 to start a season when we won the Shield? I don't think Armas is a great coach or anything but this would be knee-jerk reaction will no real alternatives.

Would Woly even be better? Maybe? Who else are we gonna hire? Henry?

This team has a lot of problems that has to do more with Austria than Armas. We're on the last legs of the BWP/Robles era and within 2 years Taxi/Long/Kaku/Murillo/Parker will more than likely be gone. We failed to add that mystical killer DP3 that would win us a chip. There's no reason to fire Armas right now and speed up the free fall when tanking means nothing in MLS. 

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Losing 2 games, in a row, at home is significant offense by Armas compared to Marsch.

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts
MF and Koko hit the nail on the head... Marsch had some not so great moments but the team didn’t consistently look bad, especially at home. And when those bad moments happened, it always seemed like the ball just wasn’t finding the net. Nowadays we don’t create chances. Armas doesn’t seem to understand the premise that the system is what creates the chances. When this many players are underperforming, it’s always coaching. Unfortunately I’m a fan of a lot of bad teams and bad coaching sticks out way too much. Biggest reason I fought so hard when people would try to slight Marsch. Wish he decided that he hated Germany and came back. Guaranteed that we’d be back to being one of the best teams in the league.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Didn't we go like 1-5 to start a season when we won the Shield? I don't think Armas is a great coach or anything but this would be knee-jerk reaction will no real alternatives.

Would Woly even be better? Maybe? Who else are we gonna hire? Henry?

This team has a lot of problems that has to do more with Austria than Armas. We're on the last legs of the BWP/Robles era and within 2 years Taxi/Long/Kaku/Murillo/Parker will more than likely be gone. We failed to add that mystical killer DP3 that would win us a chip. There's no reason to fire Armas right now and speed up the free fall when tanking means nothing in MLS. 

I think Armas firing talk is absurd at this point in the season. That being said, this start to the year is fundamentally different to that start in the Shield year. The team was creating a lot of chances but couldn't get anything to go. This is a total lack of any offensive push.

MiLo4891

MiLo4891

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,706 posts
  • Interests:Football.. Blah blah blah
The players got to step it up and maybe he should make changes
I just want Metro to win a title sometime in my lifetime.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Marsch never lost 2 in a row at home -- and his teams never looked as lifeless as this for 3 straight games.

That's still a sample of.... three games.

I'm giving him until mid-May.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
The guy is basically going out there every post-game and admitting he's being outcoached. He talks constantly about how teams are adjusting their approach to us, and his response seems to be blindly throwing darts at the chalkboard before each game.

The team had never looked this lifeless and lost under Marsch, even when the results weren't coming.

It may be early to pull the trigger on firing Armas, but I think it's fair to say he's killed any confidence the fans should have with him and needs to prove himself to earn it back.

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

I agree it's way to early to fire the manager.  The team looked pretty good in CCL, though even then they had some stretches with really bad passing. 

Someone else posted it in another thread, their passing percentage is worst in the league, this sounds to me like poor execution and on the spot decision making, I'm sure coaching can be a factor in that, but it's largely on the players.

Then there's this:

https://www.fourfour...make-difference

In both victory and defeat, the manager’s role is overestimated. (Hiddink himself doesn’t make that mistake. He doesn’t take himself too seriously.) Managers simply don’t matter that much. Players do. By far the best predictor of where a team will finish in the table is its wage bill: the team with the highest wages generally finishes top, and the team with the lowest wages bottom.

On the long term, under a new manager a team returns to its usual average performance.

https://www.bbc.com/...gazine-23724517

While Ter Weel's research focused on Dutch football, he argues that this finding is not specific to the Netherlands. Major football leagues in Europe, including England, Germany, Italy and Spain also bore out the same conclusion - teams suffering an uncharacteristic slump in form will bounce back and return to their normal long-term position in the league, regardless of whether they replace their manager or not.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona
Something to consider for those looking at the start of the 2016 for comfort, do you guys remember just how close we were to not making the playoffs that year? With two weeks left in the season there were I think two other teams with a very real chance of overtaking us in the last playoff spot.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,450 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

Something to consider for those looking at the start of the 2016 for comfort, do you guys remember just how close we were to not making the playoffs that year? With two weeks left in the season there were I think two other teams with a very real chance of overtaking us in the last playoff spot.

Additionally, 2016 had a boatload of just finishing issues where we were shooting right at the keeper, missing the target from close range, or keepers making incredible saves.

None of which are the case this year. We have been braindead in the final third before ever taking shots.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

He's a player's coach.  We know that can work, or can not work.  The double sub last game with Murillo coming off seemed to be a signal that spots are not reserved for players at this point.  Murillo's bad coverage gave up the first goal.

At some point he's got to make them play or make some personnel changes.  The energy when Casseres came on was notably different.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts
The poor pass completion was striking- worst in the league by 5%

I think some benching may be in order.
Armas doents seem like a teller but some well placed yelling has its place.
Also bench Murrillo -first goal 100% on him. He is not getting into the attack as much by design? But sit him.
Stop forcing Jorgensen into the long beup. Put it n Omir. We looked the best all year with him playing against CBus and Santos away
Put in DE7 or first off the bench. Brought energy last game.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Why did he wait 60 minutes to sub out the kid? It was playing with 10 men for the first 60 minutes.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
Our owner decided to steal Tyler Adam's from us at sickly below market transfer fee, did jack shit to fix the wings in the offseason and you wanna blame Armas?

Fuck that, blame the guys who decided 3 million and a sell on fee 10 years later was a good fucking deal for selling a starting buli player. We were fucking robbed on transfer fee and haven't done a thing to address the midfield since that sale. They had all offseason to prepare and did nothing.

This is a minor league team. All money goes to academy, all top level players get sold in a year. This is the result of that strategy. Was only a matter of time wed have a year where it caught up to us.

#RedBullOut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users