1063 replies to this topic

elf

elf

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

These ideas still do not contradict each other.

Hamlett deserves criticism for taking a Supporters Shield roster and turning into just an above-average roster. Armas deserves criticism for taking an above-average roster and getting average results.

To be fair, rbny has an avg roster but these guys fit the system well. The issue with last year was that the D had fitness issues and murillo gave up on the team.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT

Gets lead. Turns off press. Gets beat.

That is not good in game management to me.

I think the poster was referring to the subs that Armas made, rather than tactical adjustments (not to speak for someone else, that's my perspective anyhow).  

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Mate, please take a second to actually read what I've written. 

"'ll accept an argument that Hamlett and Armas are both not good enough to take the team to where it needs to be. But there's some push/pull here. As I see it, either Armas did a mediocre job with what Hamlett handed him to work with, or Hamlett did a mediocre job of giving Armas a competent roster. It can't be that both of them just fucked everything up and yet the team finished where it did."

I'm not arguing that they can't both be criticized. I'm not arguing that someone has to have done a good job. In fact, I'm not even arguing that you can't want both fired! I'm arguing that it's impossible to reconcile the idea that everyone involved is pure shit with the results. That argument can work with Chicago or Cincinnati, where the results reflected gross incompetence to an extreme degree across-the-board. For this team to have had the season it had, it requires someone compensating for someone else's incompetence. It can't be that everyone is incompetent. 

Well, the easy answer could be that the starting point under Jesse was so high, that they haven't been able to bring it all crashing down, yet. Most of the players were brought in while Hamlett was an assistant coach and/or a Jesse acolyte (outranking him only on paper).

A point in favor of that hypothesis: Armas maintained the pace set by Jesse in 2019 before performing significantly worse in 2020. The trend (admittedly, a small sample size of 1.5 seasons) is certainly negative. Note that I'm not necessarily of the opinion that they are both unmitigated disasters, or that we absolutely can't have a good season with the current roster (and certainly with a good addition or two).

I agree that people can certainly be hyperbolic with their criticism around here.

But anyway, what's your actual view? I'd say that it's hard to know how exactly to allocate the blame between Armas/Hamlett/RB spending limits without a lot more information, but if I had to guess, I'd rank Armas and Hamlett somewhere between mediocre and average at the MLS level, and would say both contributed to lowering the ceiling of the roster below where it could/should have been in 2019 (and the 2018 playoffs v ATL, mostly Armas shouldering the blame here). Sure, it could certainly be worse, but it can also be better.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think the poster was referring to the subs that Armas made, rather than tactical adjustments (not to speak for someone else, that's my perspective anyhow).  

His substitutions were often bizarre.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

first half of the season will be telling

then depending on status we will see where we are at and if the new guy thinks Armas is a good coach who is learning and needs better players or he will use his numerous contacts in Eng and RBG to bring in new players and coach.  

hey only a few weeks till we start finding out!!

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Well, the easy answer could be that the starting point under Jesse was so high, that they haven't been able to bring it all crashing down, yet. Most of the players were brought in while Hamlett was an assistant coach and/or a Jesse acolyte (outranking him only on paper).

A point in favor of that hypothesis: Armas maintained the pace set by Jesse in 2019 before performing significantly worse in 2020. The trend (admittedly, a small sample size of 1.5 seasons) is certainly negative. Note that I'm not necessarily of the opinion that they are both unmitigated disasters, or that we absolutely can't have a good season with the current roster (and certainly with a good addition or two).

They lost Adams and BWP and replaced them with Cassares and Brian White.

I agree that people can certainly be hyperbolic with their criticism around here.

But anyway, what's your actual view? I'd say that it's hard to know how exactly to allocate the blame between Armas/Hamlett/RB spending limits without a lot more information, but if I had to guess, I'd rank Armas and Hamlett somewhere between mediocre and average at the MLS level, and would say both contributed to lowering the ceiling of the roster below where it could/should have been in 2019 (and the 2018 playoffs v ATL, mostly Armas shouldering the blame here). Sure, it could certainly be worse, but it can also be better.

Yes, that's just about where I'd rank them.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
If RB are competitive with this roster,
we may never see another big signing.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Time to bring this thread back to life.

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts

You cant fire Armas because:

* It's too early in the season
* It's too late in the season
* You cant judge someone on the COVID Cup
* We'll make the playoffs
* Wait on Thelwell's signings this summer
* Wait on Thelwell's signings this winter

Pick your excuse accordingly.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Time to bring this thread back to life.

Using the same starting XI with 4 days rest for the team's 4th game in 9 months tells me that Armas knows fuck-all about sports science. Someone like that can be a coach, but there's no way they should be a head coach.

The only way this would be acceptable is if all of our players were doping.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

The only way this would be acceptable is if all of our players were doping.

Drinking RedBull doesnt count?

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
always is & has been a numbskull

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

Drinking RedBull doesnt count?

Only if you're Jamie Vardy and knock down 3 before kickoff.

https://m.republicwo...obiography.html

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Yes, pls. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ig101

ig101

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Had a dream few nights ago that this guy left to be Bolton Wanderers manager :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users