DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham
From Rory Smith with the New York Times:

Unless you are an ardent follower of Hull City, you may not have heard of Leo Lopes, a 21-year-old Portuguese midfielder who has spent the last six years working his way through Englands lower leagues. He may, though, represent something of a changing of the guard for an entire league.

This month, Lopes could move to Major League Soccer, to play for the Red Bulls. To most, it would not represent a dial-shifting transfer: Lopes is hardly a Zlatan or a Rooney or a David Villa. But he is precisely the sort of profile of player that M.L.S., increasingly, is trying to attract: young, gifted, energetic a player seeking a stage to demonstrate the scale of his talents, rather than a place to mask how much they are waning.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

NY Times covers this team???

https://fbref.com/en...-da-Silva-Lopes

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
A rumor? Say it aint so.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts
NYT?
Rumor??
Portuguese??? ( iron bound pandering?!?)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Another little guy?   Planning on Casseres and Davis to be the muscle in the middle of the field?   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Another little guy?   Planning on Casseres and Davis to be the muscle in the middle of the field?   

Yeah ben mines might outweigh this guy but he probably isnt soft if playing in Championship -21 games this year.

Heck I don't mind a small guy big attitude like Felipe or Diego Charra

https://www.transfer.../spieler/348756

Anyone on the boards the Milo of lower level English soccer ?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

https://www.hulldail...es-hull-3646540

https://www.hulldail...a-silva-3311683

He only played 20 minutes of Championship football last season, why was that?  (2018/2019

He arrived with a reputation for being able to play in a number of positions - wide forward, No.10, centre midfield and right-back - which probably didn't help him.

We are set!!

Sounds like he rebounded into a better situation for 2019/20 at Hull but there is a injured starter possibly returning for Hull.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Its so counter intuitive but little guys seem to make the best midfield muscle. Dax and Adams for us, guys like Chara and Alonso across the league, a guy like Kante at Chelsea. I don't think any of those guys are taller than 5'9.

Lopes seems to be a more attacking player though, a spot where we ironically could have used a bit of size and muscle for awhile.

sec201

sec201

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,438 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull, USMNT
Assessment from friend who is both a RB fan and a Gillingham supporter, who saw him play in person a couple of times last year: Decent player but not the high quality of player we need at RBs.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

the "next George Best"!!!

https://www.thesun.c...-from-portugal/

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Link to the article?

Anyway TM lists his main position as CM, pair him with CCJ in a 4-2-2-2.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
First bid was rejected

https://www.hulldail...ew-york-3703288

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Its so counter intuitive but little guys seem to make the best midfield muscle. Dax and Adams for us, guys like Chara and Alonso across the league, a guy like Kante at Chelsea. I don't think any of those guys are taller than 5'9.

Lopes seems to be a more attacking player though, a spot where we ironically could have used a bit of size and muscle for awhile.

There's a big difference between a 5' 9" solidly-built guys like Adams and Dax, and a 5' 6" (?) 135 pound guy like this.   I like Rza, but his size has been a big detriment.   

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

First bid was rejected

https://www.hulldail...ew-york-3703288

Lets see they just brought in a guy this morning on loan from Liverpool that plays his position

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

I'm just glad to see they are actively working on things. 

Easy to understand why they are being extra tight-lipped because if this falls through people will be mad now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users