93 replies to this topic

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Per Dylan Butler a goalkeeper and a right back.

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

It's strange to me that they've prioritized GK but I'm open to it. Perhaps they have some data showing that GK was the biggest issue on defense last season. It was bizarre how such a loaded backline became porous overnight and maybe "Robles got old" is a big part of it. 

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
1 international spot left. Thats why I dont understand the GK signing with other higher priorities (CM, ST)

Hopefully we are working on a GC for someone.

JayDelight729

JayDelight729

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,017 posts

Or they just aren't sure Meara is the guy. It's really hard to tell, but at this point there is a glaring hole up top. No experience in attack. 

"Obviously, I want to make a living (in soccer), to say the least," he said. "There's so much you can accomplish in the soccer world, and right now I'm focused on having a good season with the Red Bulls. Ultimately, our goal is to win the MLS Cup, and I see no reason why we can't." - #4 Tyler Adams

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Or they just aren't sure Meara is the guy. It's really hard to tell, but at this point there is a glaring hole up top. No experience in attack. 

Its odd because Hamlett made comments that he was seen as the next man up. The team twitter account even had something about him taking on a bigger role this season just a few days ago.

Competition is always good but its definitely a bit of mixed messaging. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Competition doesn't necessarily hurt. He's played a shit ton of matches, so no complaints wrt his acquisition. Most likely a TAM guy?

Egbo has extensive reserve team PT at the German 3rd/4th level. Almost 100 matches at a level that is maybe the same as USL-C? 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

We needed a legit competitor to Meara.  Meara has shown a tendency to get banged up and I'm not even sure he's really good so I was hoping we'd sign someone else.

It's becoming clear that they either didn't think Robles was good anymore, or they didn't like him in the locker room. Something was up there.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU
Yawn

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT

Totally disagree with bringing in this GK, id much rather address other issues and if Ryan is a train wreck (hes never shown to be) then we go out and get someone in the summer.

FIFA stats for GK

https://sofifa.com/p...-jensen/200023/

Pretty close with Meara.

The new RB looks close to Duncan but id guess hes better, but not close to peak Murillo.

https://sofifa.com/p...la-egbo/200023/

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

If this keeper is gonna be the starter, then alright. Lets see what he's got. I think that a keeper who's good of his line/ball distribution could help the club.

But if this starter was signed "to give competition to Meara", then I think this is beyond dumb. There are hundreds of other keepers who can give Meara competition. Makes no sense to use an international spot, and especially TAM/GAM if we are using that on a backup keeper. Absolutely no sense. 

Its just crazy. We let go of our team captain and club legend Robles. Then we listen to months of talk from the team, Armas, Hamlett, ect about how Ryan Meara is ready to take over, hes been waiting, its his time, ect. Then we sign a keeper? 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Ultimately needed depth.  Both guys with a chance at starting.

The team can only get better with a meaningful signing though.  These aren't that but at least it's something.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Totally disagree with bringing in this GK, id much rather address other issues and if Ryan is a train wreck (hes never shown to be) then we go out and get someone in the summer.

FIFA stats for GK

https://sofifa.com/p...-jensen/200023/

Pretty close with Meara.

The new RB looks close to Duncan but id guess hes better, but not close to peak Murillo.

https://sofifa.com/p...la-egbo/200023/

I have my general concerns about splashing on a GK, but integrating one mid-season to save the day is really not a good idea. You can send a new recruit at wing in July because their tactical responsibilities are relatively limited and raw skill can make up for the missing knowledge. But in goal, forget it. It takes time to integrate a GK so he's on the same page as the back line. 

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

I'm not worried about the lack of international spots because we weren't going to sign another guy anyway beyond hopefully one significant player.

We have one spot and that's all that's needed for now to get a difference maker.  Either at the 9 or the 6.  There's no other room on the field for someone anyway. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Not a Shield winner, but definitely not 9th or worse in the East. 

J$en

Royer Kaku Sims

Davis Casseres

Taxi Long Parker Egbo(?)

J$en(?)

Meara Tarek Duncan Valot Muyl Rza White

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

DP3

DP3

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,424 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Fulham

These signings really came out of nowhere. Gives me a glimmer of hope for a big signing. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users