63 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Interesting idea; essentially comes down to whos better white or valot.

Based on game one that's a pretty clear answer. White doesn't get the opportunity to play much of a target striker int he 4-4-2 and that's about all his skill set consists of. Barlow and Jorgensen make more aggressive runs behind the defense but aren't reliable with the parts that come after that.

maxmini

maxmini

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Corinthians

Based on game one that's a pretty clear answer. White doesn't get the opportunity to play much of a target striker int he 4-4-2 and that's about all his skill set consists of. Barlow and Jorgensen make more aggressive runs behind the defense but aren't reliable with the parts that come after that.

Maybe it was the head bang but I was not impressed with Barlow's energy when he subbed on in the second half.  Seemed like he gave Kjlestianesque attempts at winning 50/50 balls.

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

White should not be a starter with Sims on the bench. Royer up top, Valot, Kaku, Sims below. White simply should not be seeing the field at the expense of a much better player in Sims.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,043 posts
  • Interests:Metro. That's it.
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro
I strongly believe putting our best 11 out there. Having sims, a DP by nature, on the bench is a head scratcher. Hopefully its because he wasnt much in preaseason and getting gelled again.

Having Roger and and Sims/Kaku up top seems like the best option moving forward especially since Valot looks good.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Yeah if Sims is just going to be bench depth hes surely leaving in June. Makes bringing him back super short sighted and reeks of having no plan (we know that already).

If the plan was to play a formation that didnt suit his qualities his spot would have been better suited to another #9 or CM. Of course that assumes Hamlett is capable of recruiting players, which we know he isnt.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yeah if Sims is just going to be bench depth hes surely leaving in June. Makes bringing him back super short sighted and reeks of having no plan (we know that already).

I can see the move being made with the assumption that he'd outperform Valot

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

White should not be a starter with Sims on the bench. Royer up top, Valot, Kaku, Sims below. White simply should not be seeing the field at the expense of a much better player in Sims.

They play different positions.   What do White and Sims have to do with each other?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

They play different positions.   What do White and Sims have to do with each other?

Exactly.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Even if they like Tolkin at left back it makes sense. The kid is 17. He may very well not be ready to start in MLS for another 2-3 years. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Ok. Sliding Tolkin into the CDM pool:

Davis [C]

Casseres

Rza

Lema 

Tolkin

Outside back pool:

Duncan 

Egbo

Pendant

Seacrest

CB pool:

Long
Parker

Tarek

Nealis

2 big holes continue to stare us in the face in the backline. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham

Ok. Sliding Tolkin into the CDM pool:
Davis [C]
Casseres
Rza
Lema 
Tolkin

Outside back pool:
Duncan 
Egbo
Pendant
Seacrest

CB pool:
Long
Parker
Tarek
Nealis

2 big holes continue to stare us in the face in the backline. 

Yes, but worst case scenario Tolkin can play LB and Muyl can fake it a RB/RWB. I think theyve done a decent job addressing the departures, but need to target some upper echelon talent at key positions to raise the ceiling of the team.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Poorly constructed team if the plan is to play a 4-2-2-2.  This would be my, rough, order of our top 10 attacking players from best to worst: Kaku, Royer, Valot, Sims, RZA, White, Fernandez, Muyl, Barlow, Jorgensen.  The top five are all midfielders, with Royer being the only one that has showed he could play as a second forward.  Maybe others can as well, but we haven't seen it yet.

That means at least two of your top five attacking players has to be on the bench.  Even if you disagree with my exact order, there are still a lot more quality attacking mids than there are forwards and if you plan to put an equal amount on the pitch, the balance on the roster should be better.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts

imo having Kaku Sims Royer Valot for 3 starting attacking spots is a good problem. i'd always rather have more weapons available than spots in the XI. since we have the cap space, it's do-able. let Muyl Omir Mines Stroud battle it out for 1st team PT. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

imo having Kaku Sims Royer Valot for 3 starting attacking spots is a good problem. i'd always rather have more weapons available than spots in the XI. since we have the cap space, it's do-able. let Muyl Omir Mines Stroud battle it out for 1st team PT. 

I don't disagree that have more weapons than starting spots is a good problem.  I'm just saying if we have a DP on the bench in Sims, I'd rather have a DP forward on the pitch.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts

that was Hamlett's fault for not closing the English striker in Scotland or any other striker prospect that they had their eye on. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users