240 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Why not just fire Hamlett and replace him with this guy?

What has Hamlett done that they have to keep paying him a salary?

Hamlett (in theory) has the MLS administrative knowledge this guy will need.   MLS is a different beast than the Prem from that standpoint.   IT doesn;t mean Hamlett gets to stay forever.   He proves his worth to Thelwell or he goes.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

This guy is being brought in to specifically evaluate Hamlett, among other things. You want him to fire a guy he probably hasn't even met yet? 

MIke Petke would like to have a word with you....

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

This guy is being brought in to specifically evaluate Hamlett, among other things. You want him to fire a guy he probably hasn't even met yet? 

I just don't understand why they would keep Hamlett around if they are bringing this guy on board.

You guys also are acting like understanding GAM/TAM is like studying years to get a medical degree.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I think you're missing my point a bit. 

You're Ralf Rangnick and Marc de Grandpre. It's December 20th, 2019. You have $X million dollars in the transfer kit. Regardless of whether that'ss $2M or $30M, You have a brand new head scout and you're searching for Sporting Director. You're going to want to give those guys maximum flexibility as they assess the organization's needs. The more you spend now, the less agency you've given them in fixing what they perceive to be issues. 

Anyway, I didn't say we "need" to sacrifice a year. What I said is that I can live with it. 

Allow me to be more specific here. I'm not saying this is the ideal plan. But if this was Let's Make a Deal and I could either have, "6-12 month transfer semi-embargo while the new guy evaluates the whole organization followed by meaningful changes on and off the field for 2021 and beyond" or I can chose a Mystery Plan behind Door #3, I'm immediately screaming that I choose first option and running the fuck away before they can take it away from me. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

ghost of Petke past.....

Yes he is being brought in to evaluate Hamlett. In 6 months they will announce they are ingrating the 2 roles. 

Also brought in to integrate Academy to first team further, tie together development, add connections and evaluate Hamlett

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

You guys also are acting like understanding GAM/TAM is like studying years to get a medical degree.

I did not spend 6 years in MLS Allocation Money School to be called Mr. Hamlett!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,259 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

I just don't understand why they would keep Hamlett around if they are bringing this guy on board.

I'm stunned that you're taking a cynical approach to the news. 

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Because the two roles aren't the same. It's like asking why the goalkeeper coach hasn't been fired the minute a new head coach is hired. Even if Hamlett was fired today, they'd be searching for a new person to fill Hamlett's role.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

Hamlett just got demoted. And like any front office, you need another guy who can take calls and negotiate. That is why hamlett remains with the club. The new guy will have final say on transfers.

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Because the two roles aren't the same. It's like asking why the goalkeeper coach hasn't been fired the minute a new head coach is hired. Even if Hamlett was fired today, they'd be searching for a new person to fill Hamlett's role.

We don't even know what the "head of sport" does yet, although it seems like it would be the exact same thing Hamlett is doing now, or something very close?

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

We don't even know what the "head of sport" does yet, although it seems like it would be the exact same thing Hamlett is doing now, or something very close?

So you admit that we don't know what he will do but also at the same time you think he makes Hamlett redundant and therefore Hamlett should immediately terminated? Do you have a coherent point here or are you just so hellbent on Hamlett getting fired that your immediately gut reaction is to find a way to spin it to justify your motivation?

Getting this team to spend is like pulling teeth. Do you really think they just casually dropped multiple hundreds of thousands per year to hire this guy to do the same thing Hamlett's already doing? Are you even thinking through the implications of what you're saying? Jesus Christ.

Chances are this guy has a more general but powerful role overseeing the club's direction while Hamlett manages more week-to-week activity. If Hamlett wants to promote a guy from USL or trade $100K GAM plus a 2nd-round pick to acquire a player then he probably has the green light to do it. But any serious moves will have to go through this guy. 

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

So you admit that we don't know what he will do but also at the same time you think he makes Hamlett redundant and therefore Hamlett should immediately terminated? Do you have a coherent point here or are you just so hellbent on Hamlett getting fired that your immediately gut reaction is to find a way to spin it to justify your motivation?

Getting this team to spend is like pulling teeth. Do you really think they just casually dropped multiple hundreds of thousands per year to hire this guy to do the same thing Hamlett's already doing? Are you even thinking through the implications of what you're saying? Jesus Christ.

Chances are this guy has a more general but powerful role overseeing the club's direction while Hamlett manages more week-to-week activity. If Hamlett wants to promote a guy from USL or trade $100K GAM plus a 2nd-round pick to acquire a player then he probably has the green light to do it. But any serious moves will have to go through this guy. 

you do know Grelladihno is a troll right on 90% of his posts?

This move is a positive commitment to the club in addition to all the other steps. 

This guy probably has good connections not only in England but in lots of other places since everyone is calling him to place players at Wolves.  Wonder if he 'suggested' a few players while interviewing which is why we are so England/Scotland focused.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

you do know Grelladihno is a troll right on 90% of his posts?

This move is a positive commitment to the club in addition to all the other steps. 

He's no Onionsack. 

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

You don't have a clue what the guy does. So nothing in this wall of text here (in which you are massively triggered) really means anything.

What we know: at Wolves he does the same job as Hamlett and is coming here for a new role that sounds (in title) very similar to what he is doing now.

That's it.

On paper, that sounds redundant.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

You don't have a clue either what the guy does. So nothing in this wall of text here (in which you are massively triggered) really means anything.

What we know: at Wolves he does the same job as Hamlett and is coming here for a new role that sounds very similar to what he is doing now.

That's it.

So I don't have a clue what this guy does but you know exactly enough to deem Hamlett redundant. Got it. Enjoy 8th grade social studies this afternoon! Make sure to get off at the right bus stop and do your homework before mom makes dinner!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users