37 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

The new free agent rules will apply to Sean Davis and Alex Muyl after this season assuming they don't re-sign. (Davis will be 27 with 6 years in MLS, Muyl will be 25, with 5 years in MLS) 

Wow... thinking about Davis being 27...  gotta assume he'd be light years better at this point if he didn't waste 4 years development in college.   I still think he has upside, and last year was a step in the wrong direction for him, almost certainly due to Armas.    He came along right at the turning point, before guys like Miazga blazed the trail (not that Miazga was likely choosing between MLS and Duke).  I have this unlikely scenario in my head where he steps up and turns into our Jordan Henderson.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Wow... thinking about Davis being 27...  gotta assume he'd be light years better at this point if he didn't waste 4 years development in college.   I still think he has upside, and last year was a step in the wrong direction for him, almost certainly due to Armas.    He came along right at the turning point, before guys like Miazga blazed the trail (not that Miazga was likely choosing between MLS and Duke).  I have this unlikely scenario in my head where he steps up and turns into our Jordan Henderson.

He may have wasted four years of development in college, but lets face it, he was never going to be Pirlo or De Bruyne. Hes a professional soccer player who will have a 10 year career in MLS. Earning a degree from Duke seems like the smarter play in my opinion. I bet he makes more money in his lifetime with that than he ever does in football. Who knows?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

he's making 300k for the 2nd yr in a row. 1st yr with the team in '15, he was on 80k/97k. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Tyler carried him in 2018, CCJ is better at his position, if we were interested in replacing Tyler hed be sitting on the bench.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Hes a fine role player, squad guy. The fault that were playing him is ours, not his. If we are going to be serious about winning a title, we have to upgrade the talent at that position.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

good player stats are better then everyone thinks.

part of 2 SS winning teams.

good guy probably with NYRB for long time as player, coach who know maybe other roles as well.

Sean is smart and can definatley make adjustments.

They are definately looking to bring in a younger player to challenge for his spot.  Hope Sean raises his game.  He is also the next RZA in that he can play 3-4 spots if need be. 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

Unfortunately it seems like his ceiling is just an average MLS role player. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

ceiling is just an average MLS role player. 

If he were better, he would be gone.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

If he were better, he would be gone.

Dax was better and we kept him through his prime years.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Happy Birthday to a local kid.

Better than everyone things because hes being played out of position. Hes not best suited for a 2 man, box to box/destroyer midfield formation. He tries as hard as he can and never complains.

Similar for RZA.......skill set not best suited for the formation the coach has been using.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

Unfortunately it seems like his ceiling is just an average MLS role player. 

lol average MLS starter on 2 SS shield winning teams and plays a sport for a living while we post about it 

as was said if he played straight out of high school he probably be playing in Europe now but got a degree and plays a sport for a living so worked out.

Also plays out of position as he is more of an 8.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

I think Davis is better than many give him credit for its silly to say he hasn't developed well for us.

RBNY has objectively been one of the best teams in the league over the last several seasons and Davis is a big part of that, playing 124 games. He's maybe not the flashiest player in that position, but he's been a dependable starter on a top team for many seasons. Last year's mediocrity can't be put on him - he was raised in our system to play ralphball and then Armas got all weird with his tactics. 

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars
One thing that would be interesting is what would of happened if tab ramos picked sean davis instead of daniel metzger, caleb stanko, Marc pelosi, mikey lopez, and benji joya for the u21 team. The training and exposure would of been helpful to his development.

The only guys from that u21 team that has a career is luis gil (barely) and will trapp.

This is a prime example why i think US soccer does a terrible job in iding talent. And its not like sean davis was an unknown kid. He was with rbny.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I think Davis is better than many give him credit for its silly to say he hasn't developed well for us.

RBNY has objectively been one of the best teams in the league over the last several seasons and Davis is a big part of that, playing 124 games. He's maybe not the flashiest player in that position, but he's been a dependable starter on a top team for many seasons. Last year's mediocrity can't be put on him - he was raised in our system to play ralphball and then Armas got all weird with his tactics. 

Not sure why he hasn't been given at least some responsibility/opportunities offensively. Over the last season, he's turned into a 100% sideways short pass merchant, while previously he's shown flashes of decent passing and even 1v1 skill (running past players when playing on the wing in the 3-3-3-1, good shoulder drops beating defenders). Not sure if it's just due to lack of confidence and fear of making mistakes in a down year, but would guess managerial decisions/instructions are the bigger reason. Not asking for him to be Sacha or Kaku offensively, but some attacking involvement would be nice and would open spaces for other players.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

One thing that would be interesting is what would of happened if tab ramos picked sean davis instead of daniel metzger, caleb stanko, Marc pelosi, mikey lopez, and benji joya for the u21 team. The training and exposure would of been helpful to his development.

The only guys from that u21 team that has a career is luis gil (barely) and will trapp.

This is a prime example why i think US soccer does a terrible job in iding talent. And its not like sean davis was an unknown kid. He was with rbny.

Apparently only 1 in 4 U17 USYNT players make the senior team per Doyle

Would have thought U21 would be better hit rate but shows there are all paths to development. 

See A Long for misses by everybody except us. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users