45 replies to this topic

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

MF Fam,

As some of you have heard by now, RBNY have decided to let go of long time public address announcer Bob Galerstein after 23 years with the team. This decision was made by marketing (because of course it was) due to declining attendance. It's a decision that is particularly shameful in the context of what he has given to this franchise, and though perhaps I'm miscalculating, I find it pretty far-fetched that the attendance issues have anything to do with Bob at all (this is a guy that called the Stanley Cup for the Rangers ffs).

In full transparency, this is a personal issue for me - Bob is a friend of mine. My father was involved with the Metro organization in the early days and Bob and him got along famously. When my father passed in 2001, Bob not only stayed in touch but he made it a point to be a friend of mine. The amount of times we've discussed this team over the last decade+ is incalculable. He lived & breathed Metro and knew just as much about this organization as any of us (in fact, more than most and he's a long time reader of MF). The amount of conversations we've had about RB2 alone could fill a book. 

I'm not sure what can be done at this point, but I'd like them to hear about it from all of us. It's a shame that Red Bull marketing made the decision to fire someone as dedicated and long-serving as Bob, especially given their own inadequacies over the year supporting this team. They should know that culture matters to us, it does matter... and it's more than just slapping some red & black on some things to sell some shit, they should honor the people that have promoted this team from the onset.

-Colin

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

How does a PA announcer affect attendance in a negative way?

Just ridiculous.

The real answer is they probably got someone cheaper. Same old Red Bull.

Hope Bob lands on his feet.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

SoapyDish

SoapyDish

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Arsenal
Gross. Will forever miss "Welcome to RED. BULL. ARENA!"

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

As some of you have heard by now, RBNY have decided to let go of long time public address announcer Bob Galerstein after 23 years with the team. This decision was made by marketing (because of course it was) due to declining attendance. It's a decision that is particularly shameful in the context of what he has given to this franchise, and though perhaps I'm miscalculating, I find it pretty far-fetched that the attendance issues have anything to do with Bob at all (this is a guy that called the Stanley Cup for the Rangers ffs). In full transparency, this is a personal issue for me - Bob is a friend of mine. My father was involved with the Metro organization in the early days and Bob and him got along famously. When my father passed in 2001, Bob not only stayed in touch but he made it a point to be a friend of mine. The amount of times we've discussed this team over the last decade+ is incalculable. He lived & breathed Metro and knew just as much about this organization as any of us (in fact, more than most and he's a long time reader of MF). The amount of conversations we've had about RB2 alone could fill a book. I'm not sure what can be done at this point, but I'd like them to hear about it from all of us. It's a shame that Red Bull marketing made the decision to fire someone as dedicated and long-serving as Bob, especially given their own inadequacies over the year supporting this team. They should know that culture matters to us, it does matter... and it's more than just slapping some red & black on some things to sell some shit, they should honor the people that have promoted this team from the onset.

Not sure why I cannot view the OP.
Used Quote to delete the color/font/whatever.
Never knew the name of the PA guy prior to today.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
Are they blaming Bob for bad attendance or are they saying they cant afford a veteran like Bob given that no one is that the stadium to hear him?

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Everybody associated with this organization will someday be deemed expendable and dumped unceremoniously on the side of the road.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Ppl get unceremoniously dumped by the organization all the time. Sadly Bob is another casualty. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,110 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
There is a special place in Hell for the repulsive pile of dogshit who made this decision. Absolutely disgusting.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Right Back

Right Back

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:RedBullOut
  • Supports:Metro, RedBullOut
This is fucked.

My condolences on your friend being treated that way colinh9. Let me know if there's a good person to contact in the organization about this to voice my disgust.

#RedBullOut

Rats get fat, good men die.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Playing devils advocate here but maybe something else happened that nobody knows about...... Because firing a PA announcer, something that the vast majority doesn't care about, because he is being blamed for declining attendance is one of the silliest things I've heard in awhile in sports.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

terrible

Is this the guy who say Red Bull Uno DC ZEEEEEEROOOOOOOOO?

He's the best

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

The real answer is they probably got someone cheaper. Same old Red Bull

Now that makes a lot more sense lol

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

How does a PA announcer affect attendance in a negative way?

Just ridiculous.

The real answer is they probably got someone cheaper. Same old Red Bull.

Hope Bob lands on his feet.

Needed to get someone younger, who will press

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Seriously... how much could the guy be getting paid?   As cheap as they are, I can't see that really being a factor

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,097 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
Tone deaf. What a mess this team is, from top to bottom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users