Speedball

Speedball

Metro Masochist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts
  • Interests:Stuff and things.
  • Supports:Metros, NJ Ironmen, Fluminense

So sorry to hear about Bob. I always thought he did such a great job.

Knowing Red Bull, I wouldn't be surprised if they're replacing him with a DJ or ring announcer type.

"They better keep playing that RB Arena update because that unbuilt stadium is the only positive thing about this soft-drink-selling, coached-by-a-dumbass, trading-good-players-for-shit, hopeless, retarded, club." - MetroFanatic

"It was always six weeks away. Every month, [Nick Sakiewicz] would say, we're six weeks away from the stadium. It's been the longest six weeks of my life." - Mike Petke

"I think every country can learn everything about each other. If the whole world can be together, it can be good." - Mathias Jorgensen

"I want to give you lots of titles for your happiness. Lots of hugs.” - Fabio

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Seriously... how much could the guy be getting paid?   As cheap as they are, I can't see that really being a factor

What else could be a factor? A few thousand (or tens of thousands, at most?) saved  in annual salary to get someone cheaper is certainly penny pinching, but what other reason would there be?

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What else could be a factor? A few thousand (or tens of thousands, at most?) saved  in annual salary to get someone cheaper is certainly penny pinching, but what other reason would there be?

They probably want to make room for some young announcer they're grooming for the Salzburg stadium.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

i'm pretty sure it was Bob who was the PA announcer last sunday at the XFL Guardians game at Metlife. What a shitty move by the Red Bull Organization. This guy litterally did every match in RBA and all the big international matches at Metlife Stadium

Indyanapolis

Indyanapolis

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,109 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Knowing Red Bull, I wouldn't be surprised if they're replacing him with a DJ or ring announcer type.

This. Remember them trying to make Mike Labelle happen as the in-match host?

They know what they want.

If you scan YouTube looking for Bradley Wright-Phillips, youll find numerous goal compilations, a few interviews and, eventually, an excerpt from the grime mixtape series Lord of the Mics.

DHatch

DHatch

Site Moderator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,283 posts
  • Supports:Mighty Metros

MF Fam,

As some of you have heard by now, RBNY have decided to let go of long time public address announcer Bob Galerstein after 23 years with the team. 
-Colin
That sucks.  His voice is synonymous with my good experiences at Red Bull Arena.  Does Bob do sports updates on Sirius/XM radio?  why does his name sound familiar?  

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

That sucks.  His voice is synonymous with my good experiences at Red Bull Arena.  Does Bob do sports updates on Sirius/XM radio?  why does his name sound familiar?  

Yep he does.

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Yes, he's also the one doing the Guardians. 

I'd imagine it's a cost saving move - there is truthfully no other explanation. I just know the explanation he got which is obviously nonsense....I'm sure you can save plenty by replacing a veteran.

No clue if there is a way to voice displeasure or if it matters to them or not. It just never ends with this organization. 

I know he appreciates all the kind words on here. If nothing else, I'm glad he knows that people enjoyed what he brought to the experience for all these years. He deserves that at the very least! 

rhactl7

rhactl7

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,066 posts
  • Supports:Red Bull Out

What a shame. He was great. 

The "Welcome To Red. Bull. Arena." was iconic. Loved when he would announce the goals too. "Thierry...." (whole crowd yells HENRY)

If you are going to fire someone who has been with the organization for such a long time, it BETTER be for a good reason. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is any reason.

If he actually does read MF, he should know that everyone enjoyed him, and hopefully he stays a fan of the team.

CahillsRightJab

CahillsRightJab

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, CFC, USMNT, Cafateros

This is probably what is going to happen. Sucks, I loved hearing and screaming along to the lineups and goal calls. Dude was a legend.  

They're really doing what they can to get rid of their longtime fans.

nymetrofan90

nymetrofan90

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

This. Remember them trying to make Mike Labelle happen as the in-match host?

They know what they want.

Ugh, that guy. Always pushing him as if he is our own version of Javier Hernandez or Carlos Vela. He just plays FIFA!

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,266 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

They're really doing what they can to get rid of their longtime fans.

This seems a bit over dramatic. The overwhelming majority of people aren't going to stop coming to games because they changed the PA announcer. I thought Bob(never knew his name until today even though I've been going to games since giants stadium) did a good job but I can't say that I actually care who the PA announcer is.

hoofit

hoofit

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 276 posts
  • Supports:NYRB

Loved his voice and enthusiasm over the years.  One of the key/cool parts of the game day experience.  

Cannot imagine why anyone within the org would actively want to part ways with him.  For fuck's sake, they've tarped Bob.

Anyhow, like others have said, if Bob is reading this I wish him all the best and I (and many others on here and elsewhere) have thoroughly enjoyed his fine work.

Excellence Not Expectations

CahillsRightJab

CahillsRightJab

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, CFC, USMNT, Cafateros

This seems a bit over dramatic. The overwhelming majority of people aren't going to stop coming to games because they changed the PA announcer. I thought Bob(never knew his name until today even though I've been going to games since giants stadium) did a good job but I can't say that I actually care who the PA announcer is.

I meant that if they switch to a DJ style announcer, or in-game annoying host, not specifically Bob, as great as he is at his job. I see them pushing the Labelle as the MC thing and cut aways on the screen to fans on every dead ball things hard. These things do not make a good in-stadium experience in soccer.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

The overwhelming majority of people have stopped going altogether.  Which is why they're tarping seats like they're back in Giants Stadium.

#RedBullOut

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users