123 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

last thing you want are reports that your captain wants to leave ... Hard to think of anything much worse for morale. 

Lowest payroll in MLS?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I've gone on record saying he is our Jordan Henderson, and this just reinforces that.   He's too atheltic, smart, dedicated and hard working not to be a big part of whatever success we can have with this roster.     Let's hope the Jordan Henerdson comparison plays out a fraction as well as its played out for Liverpool.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Grelladinho

Grelladinho

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls

of the players left on the roster, i would have preferred

1. Long
2. Meara (assuming he's starting)
3. Davis

Davis is a spot starter at best. I hope him getting the armband doesnt mean he'll be an automatic starter this year.  i would rather see Rza and CCJ than Davis and CCJ in the midfield. 

Davis getting the armband means he is locked in to start for the entire season unless he picks up an injury.

Rza and CCJ are going to have to rotate in for the other spot.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Good for him! Nice to see a local kid get the armband.

If Im Aaron Long, who has been captaining the US National Team...... and RB wont make me the captain, nor will they let me go to the Premirship......Im probably not thrilled.

Long has been itching to leave and might be gone in the summer. Make sense to me that he's not the captain.

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Good for him! Nice to see a local kid get the armband.

If Im Aaron Long, who has been captaining the US National Team...... and RB wont make me the captain, nor will they let me go to the Premirship......Im probably not thrilled.

Maybe Aaron Long thinks it's a great choice. Who knows? I do know that we in the peanut gallery have no idea what the deal is inside the locker room.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

Would being captain add to his market value?

Not on our team - getting the NYRB captaincy basically means you're on the trading block.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Lowest payroll in MLS?

I actually think team morale is more of a problem on teams with three DPs making 10 times as much as everyone else on the team than we have with this team.  There is less likely to be jealously and what not. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts

I actually think team morale is more of a problem on teams with three DPs making 10 times as much as everyone else on the team than we have with this team.  There is less likely to be jealously and what not. 

Ah yes, that's why we don't get DPs. Can't risk low morale that's killing teams like Atlanta, LAFC and Seattle.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

It's pretty he's the best leader on the team.  He's vocal on the pitch, with players and refs.  And, if you ever watch any of the Red Bull videos, he's always the guy addressing the team.  You don't really see much of either from Long, may just not be his personality.  Plus, if he's looking to move, maybe not the best choice.

The only downside is that RZA might be better (I think CCJ HAS to be a starter).  Sean is going to have to really step up his game this season.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he can do it.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

that's why we don't get DPs. Can't risk low morale.

Thanks! Best laugh I had today! Perhaps this week!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JayJeeMoNee

JayJeeMoNee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,015 posts
  • Interests:Metro | USA | USMNT | Dortmund

I have no problem with this.  Long is halfway out the door.  Meara isn't a sure starter (and he's potentially injured to start the season). Royer has stepped up his leadership game, but he's not even a sure starter if we revert back to the 4-2-3-1, and/or Sims turns out the be the real deal after a nearly-full preseason with the team, Valot stays healthy and in form, etc.  Parker would make sense too -- he's a sure starter and "embracing his leadership role."  Maybe he'll take Vice Captain.  And let's hope Davis has a comeback year. If he doesn't, the armband shouldn't keep him from being benched, with Parker and Royer capable of taking up the role.

(Formerly JonnyG)

"In church, they say that suffering is good for the soul. I like to view my love for this team as being a spiritual exercise." - Steve B2

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
Royer was our best offensive player last year. How is he "not even a sure starter"?

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

he's older than Kaku/Sims/Valot would be the only reason as to why he wouldn't start every game. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro
Based on his play last year I dont think Davis even deserves to be on the field. That could have been an Armas problem though. Curious to see how he plays this season. Might also have been just a sub par season from him.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts

dont think Davis even deserves to be on the field. ...
Curious to see how he plays this season.

I have given you the armband, Sean.
Go out there & channel your inner Dax!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users