166 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Can we please please stop hitting it long for good? We played through the defense really well a number of times, there's no need to ever have a long floater from Tarek or Parker that is nominally a 50-50 but we actually lose 95-5. Counterpressing works very well when we give up the ball near the box, a glorified dump-and-chase doesn't consistently work for us (and we certainly tried many times with BWP and White for the last 5 years)

Ideally, with two guys up top, we can mix it up.  Its better to have different looks and be less predictable.   Two quick little guys or two big hold-up guys won't work.   I just don't think we have any big hold-up guys who are good enough.   BWhite and Big Tom are both MLS 2.0 talent.   But a Sims/Omir combo will just get muscled all day.  

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Sims for Davis.

We can't play with just one true center mid. The last time we tried something like that we gave up like 3 goals in 10 mins in our CCL game away in Mexico. We absolutely need two true center mids to maintain our shape. Casseres can't do it alone and none of our other starters in that lineup can be the 2nd center mid other than Davis.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Parker or Royer in that scenario. No brainer.

A choice requires a modicum of brainwork!
Parker did not display leadership in the opener.
Royer had the game-winner.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,960 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

We can't play with just one true center mid. The last time we tried something like that we gave up like 3 goals in 10 mins in our CCL game away in Mexico. We absolutely need two true center mids to maintain our shape. Casseres can't do it alone and none of our other starters in that lineup can be the 2nd center mid other than Davis.

agreed. no to 1 CDM. has to be 2. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

A choice requires a modicum of brainwork!
Parker did not display leadership in the opener.
Royer had the game-winner.

Well there you have it.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

We can't play with just one true center mid. The last time we tried something like that we gave up like 3 goals in 10 mins in our CCL game away in Mexico.

I felt so bad for Davis that game. I've never seen a player so tired but still asked to cover so much ground as he did the second half of that game. Armas was a dolt for not making a shift to get him help at halftime, if not even earlier.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,335 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Can we please please stop hitting it long for good? ... Counterpressing works very well when we give up the ball near the box, a glorified dump-and-chase doesn't consistently work for us (and we certainly tried many times with BWP and White for the last 5 years).

Two thoughts on this one:

1) I think you're forgetting how many goals BWP has scored over the years by latching on to long balls, often coming from our back line.

2) Counter pressing necessitates at least some dump and chase. I remember Marsch saying that they would sometimes give away possession intentionally because they're better off baiting the other team into a turnover than building up ourselves. Don't get me wrong we've passed really well on the ground this year, but not sure that's sustainable as our only approach especially against better competition.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Two thoughts on this one:

1) I think you're forgetting how many goals BWP has scored over the years by latching on to long balls, often coming from our back line.

Not that many, compared to the attempted chances. Single digit goals over 5 years after hundreds of possessions given away. Also, I am not talking about an early ball over the top into space which is what you're referring to. I am referring to a ball when everyone is set and waiting for it. And White isn't prime BWP either.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Well there you have it.

Although you did list both ...
Frankly with a goal & 2 assists, give it to Duncan!

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Sims for Davis.

It would have to be Sims for Valot...but tough to pull Valot off if he plays like week 1.

elf

elf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,308 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars

We had such a horrific offseason that youre actually comparing our starting forwards to expansion teams. We won the Supporters Shield the year before last for Gods sake!! And BTW, the forwards Cincy brought on, the one with the $10M option to buy, is 10Xs better than any striker on our team. And they also signed Siem DeJong a week ago as a DP striker......but Ive seen him play and hes been a disappointment his entire career.

RSL finished with more points than us last season but lost one of the beat players in MLS. Should be an interesting match up.

Who did rsl lose? I checked their roster and no one jumped out.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

This match will tell us a lot more about this squad than last week's.  RSL shouldn't be the pushover defensively that Cinci was, we'll learn if those couple mistakes that lead to goals in week one were just bad luck or, like last season, the norm, and if Armas has learned anything about calling off the press.  He may need to use his subs earlier too, if someone isn't handling the elevation well.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

Who did rsl lose? I checked their roster and no one jumped out.

Jefferson Savarino, transferred to Brazil. They guy is incredible.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Last time we won @RSL, Armas had hair and Jozy was on the roster, and no one from that team, other than Jozy, is still playing anywhere.

https://elitesportsn...the-line-again/

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,517 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador
Anybody have any good places to stream this one?

LONG LIVE METRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users