130 replies to this topic

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I can imagine him at his first home game, thinking "gee, what a shame with this virus, having to play in front of an empty stadium," and all the other players looking at each other like "are you gonna tell him?  I'm not gonna tell him..."

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

CurbYourNewUrbanism

CurbYourNewUrbanism

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Arsenal

Looking at Ligue 2 attendance it will still be an improvement from his perspective: https://www.soccerst...?league=france2

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,232 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Pendant has to go out of the country to get his visa, right? Hope he went to Canada...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls
Why would he need to go out of country to get his visa? If so, wouldnt it make sense to send him to one of the Caribbean French territories? Hopefully he did not go back to France and if he did, hope they fly him back immediately.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,363 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Why would he need to go out of country to get his visa? If so, wouldnt it make sense to send him to one of the Caribbean French territories? Hopefully he did not go back to France and if he did, hope they fly him back immediately.

Why is a great question, but visas can generally only be issued in U.S. embassies abroad, those are the rules.

Sending a player to a random location to which he is not connected in any way is a gamble that may contribute to a visa application being denied.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

With the new travel restrictions in effect, we should call him "Jason Pending".

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,517 posts

With the new travel restrictions in effect, we should call him "Jason Pending".

WIN

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Okay, so we go at least another month without him.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

guanaco20

guanaco20

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Supports:NY RedBulls

Or who knows how long? This situation would be the ultimate Thats So Metro....

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,302 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

He might not miss any games ...

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

GMoney

GMoney

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,118 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Does anyone actually know (not assume) if we paid a transfer fee to get him out of his contract early?

It would be ironic/Metro if we paid a fee, then he couldnt come until summer anyway.

The New York Red Bulls previously kicked around Major League Soccer as the MetroStars with limited success. But after transforming under a new banner in 2005, the Red Bulls have become a force to be reckoned with in the Eastern Conference. The club has made leaps of progress since its previous incarnation and now has its focus on bringing the league title to New York. Grab your New York Red Bulls soccer jersey and other gear here at MLSGear.com.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Looking at Ligue 2 attendance it will still be an improvement from his perspective: https://www.soccerst...?league=france2

It is crazy that the second biggest team in Paris gets 2,000 people per game.  The people who say NYC should be able to support half a dozen professional soccer teams are insane. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Arsenal14

Arsenal14

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,786 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USA, Arsenal

It is crazy that the second biggest team in Paris gets 2,000 people per game.  The people who say NYC should be able to support half a dozen professional soccer teams are insane. 

Paris has always been described to me by French people as more of a rugby city. They didn't have a top-flight soccer champion between 1936 and 1986.

But Americans are often Anglophiles with this sport, and London has 16 professional teams, so that's the comparison that they're making.

BLewis1968

BLewis1968

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 955 posts

Not really. Having been there several times, Paris is not soccer-crazy - despite the fact that it actually produces talent. It's no London or Sao Paulo. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,967 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Not really. Having been there several times, Paris is not soccer-crazy - despite the fact that it actually produces talent. It's no London or Sao Paulo. 

I agree.  But New York (and every other American city) is far less soccer crazy than Paris and Paris doesn't support a bunch of other popular professional sports teams.  My point is that lots of Americans (often pro-rel zealots) totally over-estimate the potential demand for professional soccer. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users