861 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII

ok not exactly NYRBII but USL League 1 semi final just finished with a local guy from Union City Chris Bermudez who spent time with NYRB before going to Pachua put Greenville into the final this weekend v FCD team lead by U17 forward Ricardo Pepi. 

Former HGP last year, Kevin Politz also plays for Greenville. He has been a standout on their backline this year. I can see him cracking an MLS roster in the next year or so.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

mdr12

mdr12

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 162 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars/RBNY

totally think we should field a USL1 team, but with a U21/22 designation, in addition to keeping RB2. 

I think we have a U23 team in USL2.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

the USL2/PDL U23 sqaud is a team of collegians on summer break and recent academy grads.

i'm talking about a u20/21 pro team of guys not in college who are recent RBacademy grads, academy grads of a different team in the area, or just local guys who want a shot at a low level pro career. any player that excels with that team gets a contract with RB2. think of RB2 as a Triple A team, and the USL1 U21 team would be the Double A development squad. USL2 semi-pro U23 team would be Single A, if you look at it in that way.

it would be the team you could sign Omar Sowe straight outta the academy/HS ranks and he could play right away, rather than being behind Jorgensen Barlow Elney and the others. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
I know the brass at USL really wants the MLS reserve sides in USL1, mostly due to attendance and committment.

If you look at attendance, you have 45 teams in the USL professional ranks. Sounders reserve team, Tacoma Defiance ranks 28th in attendance which is the highest of the reserve teams. 9 of the 10 bottom of attendance clubs are MLS reserve teams, including NYRBII. 5 of those clubs play in USLC. Clubs like New Mexico, Sacramento and Indy draw over 10k, while we are sub 1k. Average for independently owned clubs is about 5.5k, with MLS sides are at 1.3k.

If you look at the product on the field, there are significant differences between how MLS sides run their USLC teams with Red Bull doing a phenomenal job.

The hybrids seem to be the way to go. Reno (SJ) and Rio Grande (Houston) where the MLS teams have control over sporting decisions like players and coaches.

Downfall is being able to train with the first team regularly.

@CurseofCaricola

Mibabalou

Mibabalou

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,037 posts
  • Supports:MUFC, NYRB, NYRB2, USMNT
Is there a rule we can have both?

Wouldn something like Red Bull brooklyn be possible?

I get we just put money into Montclair but if they say either change or go to l1 where the play is significantly lower we better do what we can to stay in usl champ.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Is there a rule we can have both?

Phoenix Rising (USL Championship) owns FC Tucson (USL1). As such, Tucson also cannot participate in the US Open Cup.

@CurseofCaricola

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

I know the brass at USL really wants the MLS reserve sides in USL1, mostly due to attendance and committment.

If you look at attendance, you have 45 teams in the USL professional ranks. Sounders reserve team, Tacoma Defiance ranks 28th in attendance which is the highest of the reserve teams. 9 of the 10 bottom of attendance clubs are MLS reserve teams, including NYRBII. 5 of those clubs play in USLC. Clubs like New Mexico, Sacramento and Indy draw over 10k, while we are sub 1k. Average for independently owned clubs is about 5.5k, with MLS sides are at 1.3k.

If you look at the product on the field, there are significant differences between how MLS sides run their USLC teams with Red Bull doing a phenomenal job.

The hybrids seem to be the way to go. Reno (SJ) and Rio Grande (Houston) where the MLS teams have control over sporting decisions like players and coaches.

Downfall is being able to train with the first team regularly.

We need to stay in USL-C.   

Not sure why an independent team could not train with First Team and then play 1-2 hours away if the market would be better.  

Heck they should form a USL 1 team maybe in AC or Poukeepsee and have them based with the first team. or partner closer with LI Rough Riders.  Wonder why they were not able to form a closer partnership with Rough Riders.

(I know people think they have just the coach for the LI team:-)

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Wonder why they were not able to form a closer partnership with Rough Riders.
(I know people think they have just the coach for the LI team:-)

We partnered well with them in the Metro days often calling guys in on short notice when we had a short bench.

Since we have our U23s in USL2 they would compete against each other, also NYCFC tied them up now.
https://liroughrider...outh-affiliate/

Former academy player then NYRBII player, Danny Bedoya ended up with Long Island, impressed during a scrimmage and landed a contract with NYCFC, so they have some hooks there now.

@CurseofCaricola

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Big match tonight at Birmingham at 8pm. A win will allow us to control our own destiny in hosting a playoff match.

Birmingham needs a win as they are battling for the last playoff spot.

Indy is playing their final match of the season, hosting Swope Park (who blew a 3:0 lead on Saturday and ended up losing 8:3). If Indy somehow loses and we get a win, we will finish top 4, above Indy, barring a substantial record-breaking loss in our finale.

@CurseofCaricola

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

Big match tonight at Birmingham at 8pm. A win will allow us to control our own destiny in hosting a playoff match.

Indy is playing their final match of the season, hosting Swope Park (who blew a 3:0 lead on Saturday and ended up losing 8:3). If Indy somehow loses and we get a win, we will finish above Indy, barring a substantial record-breaking loss in our finale.

wow had to look up that epic collapse 

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

Indy is playing their final match of the season, hosting Swope Park (who blew a 3:0 lead on Saturday and ended up losing 8:3). If Indy somehow loses and we get a win, we will finish above Indy, barring a substantial record-breaking loss in our finale.

USL shows tonight's game at 5PM

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

USL shows tonight's game at 5PM

The match is one of the two that were postponed with us having a one-goal lead due to weather, so it may be reflecting the game time from back in April?

Checked both teams' twitter accounts, USL site, even the FotMob app to verify 8pm.

@CurseofCaricola

robs0650

robs0650

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 232 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Red Bulls II, Manu

The match is one of the two that were postponed with us having a one-goal lead due to weather, so it may be reflecting the game time from back in April?

Checked both teams' twitter accounts, USL site, even the FotMob app to verify 8pm.

Thanks

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Big match tonight at Birmingham at 8pm.

Anyone going?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
Louro
LeBel-McSherry-Kilwien-Tolkin
Lema-Koffi
Elney-Bezecourt-Stroud
Jorgensen

Bench: Nuhu, Maurer, Loebe, Mines, Zajec, Sowe, Amarildo

Not in 18: Silva, Rito (injured), Nealis, Barlow and Buckmaster (with 1st team), Scarlett (injured?), Boateng (who knows with this kid, massive bust), Yanes (NT)

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users