44 replies to this topic

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Lol...wouldn't say I'm overly confident.  Feels like a total coin flip of a game.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador
I think Italy takes it today. Good luck!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
Some ticketless fans force their way in:
https://m.youtube.co...h?v=Lj2OKE8fSNQ

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=VEMLluxTKHw

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=364P8CmM-Mc

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts

I plunked down $100 on Italy at I think +950 or +1000, based mostly on nothing, just to have something to root for.

They should have no problems in the group , especially since theyll play all three games in Rome, while the rest of the group has to shuttle between Rome and Baku.

But theyre definitely talent deficient vs France, Belgium, and some of the other top teams.

I was at the Italy-Greece match in 2019 where Italy clinched a spot in the Euros. Fun time.

Good win!

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
Dupe

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,173 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I plunked down $100 on Italy at ... +950 or +1000, based mostly on nothing, just to have something to root for.

Sometimes nothing is a real cool hand. 🇮🇹
England have won only 2 of 9 PK shootouts.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
Thank you sirs! They made me earn it.

For about 10 minutes after they tied it, I thought Italy was going to win in regulation. Once Chiesa had to come out, then later Insigne, I wasnt feeling as confident.

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

Didn't seem like England was going for the win.  Rashford and Sancho should have come on earlier, to win the game before penalties.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

Bringing on a goalkeeper at 120' for pks can make sense. Bringing on players who have been sitting on the bench for most of the 120' is just plain dumb decision making. Those players are not warmed up, their legs have not been loosened up by running and kicking, and they faced an astonomical amount of pressure.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Didn't seem like England was going for the win.  Rashford and Sancho should have come on earlier, to win the game before penalties.

I know any team in the world would take a 1-0 lead in the 2nd minute, but I wonder how much that goal changed the script for England. Italy looked dazed for 10-15 minutes after that goal, but once they settled in, it looked like England was playing to not lose for the next 105 minutes.

regulator

regulator

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
I was so glad to watch england crash and burn due to (in no particular order):

- general overestimation of the English national team based on pretty much nothing achieved by the national team since '66

- extremely negative soccer after they went up in the 2nd minute

- stupid fancy footwork attempts by their pk takers

- general overall shittiness of their fanbase

So sorry (not sorry) but glad Italy won!

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

I was so glad to watch england crash and burn due to (in no particular order):

- general overestimation of the English national team based on pretty much nothing achieved by the national team since '66

- extremely negative soccer after they went up in the 2nd minute

- stupid fancy footwork attempts by their pk takers

- general overall shittiness of their fanbase

So sorry (not sorry) but glad Italy won!

Rashford, who I really like and thought should have played a lot more, was horrible on his penalty.  Waited like 5 seconds without moving, went fast, slowed down, stuttered, and then banged it off the post.

I always thought that if you put the ball where you want it with some pace on it, the keeper's not going to save it.  So all the mind games and weird approaches to the ball are unnecessary. 

Have to say that Kane's and McGuire's PKs were unsavable.  No nonesense, just great shots.

ig101

ig101

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,890 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Thank you sirs! They made me earn it.

For about 10 minutes after they tied it, I thought Italy was going to win in regulation. Once Chiesa had to come out, then later Insigne, I wasnt feeling as confident.

Lol, followed your advice and placed 100 bet on italy and 100 on belgium.. rolling in dough

magicmoron

magicmoron

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,431 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, US, Russia

Rashford, who I really like and thought should have played a lot more, was horrible on his penalty.  Waited like 5 seconds without moving, went fast, slowed down, stuttered, and then banged it off the post.

I always thought that if you put the ball where you want it with some pace on it, the keeper's not going to save it.  So all the mind games and weird approaches to the ball are unnecessary. 

Have to say that Kane's and McGuire's PKs were unsavable.  No nonesense, just great shots.

Rashford tried to beat Donnarumma in the psychological battle - and lost.

This is on Southgate for bringing in Rashford and Sancho to shoot PKs cold. And 19 year old Saka to shoot the 5th one.  Also for an overly defensive gameplan.  You can't out-defend Italy.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,231 posts
  • Supports:Metro & USA

Donnarumma is outstanding at pks. I do not know if he is above average for run of play goalkeeping, but with Italia and their defense, average is good enough. You can only beat him on a pk if you hit a laser into 1 of the 4 corners. He is big (6'5") and quick. Most importantly he holds his ground until the shooter commits, and then he can still cover all but the 4 corners. And he always goes the way of the shot because he does not commit early.

He intimidates on pks. Shooters know they have to thread a needle. From an athletic point of view, he is like having LeBron James as a goalkeeper. A secondary aspect is that with a goalkeeper like that, the Italia shooters can take their pks with more confidence and worry less about missing.

It wasn't the 3 English shooters missing pks, it was Donnarumma dominating.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users