481 replies to this topic

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,367 posts
  • Supports:Metro

He played 6 games last year, and looked subpar in his limited play. The fact he was exposed to draft doesn't mean he is terrible, but certainly shows he is not a key player. Jury is still out on this guy, but as it stands by the end of last year, he is a bench player. We will see if he can improve, but Davis is ahead of him thus far. Whether he can make a leap forward this year or not is has not yet been determined, and I haven't seen flashes of brilliance indicating it is imminent. So, let's not peg him as a starter just yet.

Could have been an educated gamble on Marschs part. At his salary and still having yet to prove himself in any fashion AND coming off an injury who in MLS is gonna take that risk? I wouldnt.

So if youre Marsch and your convinced no one will take him then yeah leave him unprotected so you can protect another player.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Could have been an educated gamble on Marschs part. At his salary and still having yet to prove himself in any fashion AND coming off an injury who in MLS is gonna take that risk? I wouldnt.

So if youre Marsch and your convinced no one will take him then yeah leave him unprotected so you can protect another player.

Unless Marsch heard directly from Bradley that LAFC wouldnt take Keita, it was for sure a gamble. Keita played for Bradley in Norway and it was reported we saw games Keita partly in Bradleys recommendation.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

He played 6 games last year, and looked subpar in his limited play. The fact he was exposed to draft doesn't mean he is terrible, but certainly shows he is not a key player. Jury is still out on this guy, but as it stands by the end of last year, he is a bench player. We will see if he can improve, but Davis is ahead of him thus far. Whether he can make a leap forward this year or not is has not yet been determined, and I haven't seen flashes of brilliance indicating it is imminent. So, let's not peg him as a starter just yet.

He never got close to full fitness last year, I think his hamstring was bugging him and he always looked gassed after 60 min. But if you're interested rewatch the Philly game he played as a central mid, there's potential there. He actually showed some creative passing ability which we'll need with Kljestan gone. I don't necessarily think he'll be an MLS XI kind of guy but I wouldn't be surprised to take a lot of minutes.

ElMetrofan

ElMetrofan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • Supports:USA, Colombia, Metro

Good old Sacha rips Red Bulls and blames other for not being a difference maker. Yeah, I know Red Bull cheaped out on us after Henry, but come on man;  he shouldn't have chocked on a penalty and got himself kicked out in playoff games when he needed to step up.

https://www.mlssocce...-york-red-bulls

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,573 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

Don't forget throwing people under the bus in post game interviews and figuring out Toronto's whole gameplan during the playoffs but not telling anyone.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

I get that people didn't appreciate Kljestan's attitude as a captain, I didn't either, but I don't understand the uproar over his comments at all. Have we not been saying the same shit for years now? We've been asleep at the wheel every transfer window since 2015. Our attempts at impact signings include a DP bust and a few cast-offs from Papa Red Bull. Maybe Royer counts? 

Imagine we signed Kaku to play next to Kljestan instead of having to play Muyl for 60 games over the last two seasons... 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

I get that people didn't appreciate Kljestan's attitude as a captain, I didn't either, but I don't understand the uproar over his comments at all. Have we not been saying the same shit for years now? We've been asleep at the wheel every transfer window since 2015. Our attempts at impact signings include a DP bust and a few cast-offs from Papa Red Bull. Maybe Royer counts? 

Imagine we signed Kaku to play next to Kljestan instead of having to play Muyl for 60 games over the last two seasons... 

True, I think the issue is Sacha not taking any of the responsibility.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts
I agree a bit with Sacha and think the pk miss and whole gameplan thing are poor

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,243 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

As much as I agree with his point regarding our lack of investment while he was here, this is just another example of his absolute lack of leadership.   Talented player, complete lack of leadership abilities.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

uptownbull

uptownbull

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Supports:metro, barca, usa
When the going got rough Sacha got whining and chippy. Like after his shit opening Vancouver CCL game: whistle blows and he screams out YOU SUCK! at the ref. Nice leadership, setting a tone of excellence and accountability...

That said, I think Orlando is surrounding him with enough nice pieces that he can stand still between the lines and slide forward pretty through balls for another 2 years.

Which is good for metro. Let teams see the value in doing business with them.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Supports:Metro

In this thread: People getting mad at Sacha for saying the things we've been saying for three years.

Voice of Reason II

Voice of Reason II

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,734 posts

Partially agree, but the Club for better or for worse made a commitment to build at least the domestic portion of our squad principally from our academy pipeline. That was a huge strategic shift as we had previously cast most of them off on a regular basis to make room for the next international "hired hand".

That meant that for a year or two instead of integrating 1-3 Academy players into the senior roster we were taking on 4-6 per year to kickstart that change of strategy. To get that payoff meant actually giving enough minutes to players like Muyl, Adams, Davis, etc. for them to become solid contributors. Naturally there would be a 1-3 year window where there was some dip in performance while so many newbies came up to speed at the same time. I don't know how many minutes or starts Muyl will get this year, but I expect that the time he does get on the field will likely show an improved player who will contribute more in his given time.

Now that the better ones are emerging and the weaker ones are being winnowed out we can move to a more normal ingestion of 1-3 of the best and integrate them at a measured pace with less disruption. Thanks to that commitment we now have a stronger core of domestic talent to build upon.

Before all we did was bring in a constant stream of international "rentals", most who we would never have long enough to make a real cohesive "team" rather than a collection of 11 individuals. No team in MLS has had the turnover we have historically and it hurt. Some were great (Henry, JPA, BWP), but others were busts or not here long enough to build a sustainable franchise upon.

With an intelligent pipeline of domestic talent now rightsized, we can now concentrate on adding the pieces to hopefully get us over the top. Not every year of course, that is unrealistic, but rather than grabbing who is available (Henry, Sacha, etc.) and retooling each time to try to mold a team around our "savior", we can now identify players (Kaku) who we think will fit our style of play and improve our team performance.

The proof will be in the pudding, of course. We will need to see that the Kaku addition is just the 1st of a series of well thought out senior additions (doesn't have to be foreign players, just top flight players). I certainly acknowledge that we went through a big acquisition drought and that we will need to see that the commitment to spend competitively is returning.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Partially agree, but the Club for better or for worse made a commitment to build at least the domestic portion of our squad principally from our academy pipeline. That was a huge strategic shift as we had previously cast most of them off on a regular basis to make room for the next international "hired hand".

I never saw building out the academy pipeline and pursuing top tier talent as mutually exclusive initiatives. Our roster philosophy has been swinging from one extreme to the other without ever landing at that sweet spot between the two. Doing better with our DP signing and using the influx of TAM may have put a dent in the minutes guys like Muyl and Davis played, but wouldn't have mattered to standouts like Miazga and Adams, and wouldn't prevent us from giving academy guys a shot in pre-season camp.

Certainly not clamoring to go back to the revolving door of internationals that we saw during the Backe years, but I think some smarter, more ambitious spending over the last few years could have made us a much better team without putting the academy pipeline in jeopardy.

The good news, like you mentioned, is that we seem to be approaching that healthy balance now, so should be some exciting times ahead.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts

I never saw building out the academy pipeline and pursuing top tier talent as mutually exclusive initiatives. Our roster philosophy has been swinging from one extreme to the other without ever landing at that sweet spot between the two. Doing better with our DP signing and using the influx of TAM may have put a dent in the minutes guys like Muyl and Davis played, but wouldn't have mattered to standouts like Miazga and Adams, and wouldn't prevent us from giving academy guys a shot in pre-season camp.

Certainly not clamoring to go back to the revolving door of internationals that we saw during the Backe years, but I think some smarter, more ambitious spending over the last few years could have made us a much better team without putting the academy pipeline in jeopardy.

The good news, like you mentioned, is that we seem to be approaching that healthy balance now, so should be some exciting times ahead.

Sacha was supposed to be a "top tier talent" along with BWP.  Should they have gotten another piece?  Yea, but is that an excuse for Sacha, with the exception of the Chicago match, to be so poor in the playoffs?

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,411 posts

Sacha was supposed to be a "top tier talent" along with BWP.  Should they have gotten another piece?  Yea, but is that an excuse for Sacha, with the exception of the Chicago match, to be so poor in the playoffs?

I guess the disconnect here is that I didn't take Kljestan's comments as a way for him to deflect blame away, I took them at face value and agree with him. Playoff performances, leadership qualities, questionable facial hair, whatever you want to dislike Kljestan for that's fine, but for me its a separate conversation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users