Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

https://www.newyorkr...egrown-contract

17 years old. 

Like this kid a lot so was happy to see.  Have to figure he'll be a regular for the 2's next year.

defendyourself

defendyourself

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Arsenal

https://www.newyorkr...egrown-contract

17 years old. 

Like this kid a lot so was happy to see.  Have to figure he'll be a regular for the 2's next year.

never want to get your hopes up too much with the teenage signings, but really optimisic about him, more so than most of the homegrown attacking guys we have signed in a while.  Hopefully he tears it up in the USL now that he is training full time and we can see where we go from there.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts
  • Supports:Metro/NYRBII
Hoping to see more of him in the USL. I worry about his size at this level, but his skills are there.
2013, 2015 & 2018 Supporters Shield Winners

@CurseofCaricola

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Hoping to see more of him in the USL. I worry about his size at this level, but his skills are there.

If Connor Lade can adjust (and, hell, excel in his one game in central defense!), why not Mines? Especially in a less physical position.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

never want to get your hopes up too much with the teenage signings, but really optimisic about him, more so than most of the homegrown attacking guys we have signed in a while.  Hopefully he tears it up in the USL now that he is training full time and we can see where we go from there.

It's one thing to sign the guys who have either graduated college. Even a guy like Etienne can return to University of Virginia and resume taking classes. For Mines to forego scholarship at what I would assume would be a pretty decent school must mean that he and people around him must really believe he has a long future in soccer.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

If Connor Lade can adjust (and, hell, excel in his one game in central defense!), why not Mines? Especially in a less physical position.

He's also 17. Safe bet that he grows a bit more, plus he has plenty of time to add muscle.

Escalators and Beer

Escalators and Beer

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Everton, USA

Is he the first RBNY player to be signed and born in the 2000s?

tynian16

tynian16

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

It's one thing to sign the guys who have either graduated college. Even a guy like Etienne can return to University of Virginia and resume taking classes. For Mines to forego scholarship at what I would assume would be a pretty decent school must mean that he and people around him must really believe he has a long future in soccer.

Talk on Twitter is that he turned down a full scholarship to Stanford to sign here.

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'm just kinda pumped to finally see a homegrown from Connecticut.

If all goes well, he could be ready to contribute to the first team before he turns 20.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

He appears to come from a somewhat affluent background, so he may have options for his future some other young guys don't

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

He appears to come from a somewhat affluent background, so he may have options for his future some other young guys don't

That seems to be a big criticism of soccer in this country right now.  Certainly favors the wealthy.  

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,261 posts

Yes.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

That seems to be a big criticism of soccer in this country right now.  Certainly favors the wealthy.  

This is not true only in the United States.  Kids who have less to lose by pursuing sporting excellence will always have an advantage.  If you do not have to worry about supporting yourself, you can take more risk associated with the pursuit of professional athletics.  This is true in every country.  It might be more so in the United States than elsewhere but nearly everything favors the wealthy more in the United States than in comparable western European countries.  

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

Wow. I'm old.

@CurseofCaricola

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,475 posts

My concern is that the USL defenders knocked him off the ball pretty easily. As mentioned, he is young and has time to grow.

@CurseofCaricola

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users