341 replies to this topic

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There are way too many people in all 3 sections who just don't sing or even bother to clap their hands. I don't blame the supporters groups for this, you can't make people participate when they don't want to.

Queue the 'it's the drink company's fault' comments.

We are honestly bottom half of the league in terms of atmosphere these days. Of the top of my head we edge out Houston, Dallas, Columbus, New England, San Jose, and maybe DC. Our attendance has been flat for a long time and the Southward seems less energetic each year.

Say what you want but when people think MLS they will think of Seattle, Portland, Orlando, Minnesota, LAG. Atlanta looks to have buzz, Toronto enhanced their stadium and can draw. DC is building a new stadium and I think that will help their atmosphere.

This team has a great arena, has been at the top of the table for several seasons, and is in the world capital.* When you consider those things, its pathetic how some of these markets are totally outclassing us. I haven't personally driven to all of these markets but on the outside looking in, people seem to care. With us, no one seems to care. I still have to explain to people who the Red Bulls are. Don't know if things would be better without the drink or not, honestly. I don't have any suggestions either. NJD won three cups and still no one cares about them. Maybe its a NJ thing...lacking a nucleus/hub. Many sports teams all play in same area in a city. RBNY and NJD sit outside the action and get forgotten about. Philly has the same issue. Basketball/hockey/football/baseball are all right there and they get to play the red headed stepchild and play in Chester. I think it hurts you.

*Queue the NJ is not NY crowd

juberish

juberish

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,576 posts
  • Supports:RED BULLZ F.C.

Say what you want but when people think MLS they will think of Seattle, Portland, Orlando, Minnesota, LAG. Atlanta looks to have buzz, Toronto enhanced their stadium and can draw. DC is building a new stadium and I think that will help their atmosphere.

I think we can take LAG out of this list. I watched their home opener and their attendance was shit and their team lacks the pizzazz of past seasons - seems they are on the decline and the LAFC guys will steal a lot of their thunder with a better stadium location. 

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

I think we can take LAG out of this list. I watched their home opener and their attendance was shit and their team lacks the pizzazz of past seasons - seems they are on the decline and the LAFC guys will steal a lot of their thunder with a better stadium location. 

I wasn't sure about including them but they have been so successful and featured Beckham and LD10. I think they are still relevant in the minds of many.

But still, no one in this town gives a crap. If we went to MLS Cup, would the mayor of Harrison or NYC make a bet with the opposing city? Would he even know we were in the MLS Cup? If the team won, would there be a parade in NYC?

I mean, I won't care what happens if we get the Cup. But, it just goes back to us being irrelevant. I've been in 101 for several seasons now and I've seen a decline in noise/energy. I haven't seen an increase in attendance or participation. We're just like NJD. The people who show up care, but there's not many at home who are invested. There is no major city invested in the team and there's not hundreds of thousands of casuals with a stake in the action.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Yankees have dropping attendance. Mets have empty seats. Jets don't sell out. Isles and NJD usually have terrible attendance. Nets left when tickets were a buck on StubHub. This area is not a sports hot bed.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

Yankees have dropping attendance. Mets have empty seats. Jets don't sell out. Isles and NJD usually have terrible attendance. Nets left when tickets were a buck on StubHub. This area is not a sports hot bed.

Yes it is. You just have a to give the people a team to give a shit about.

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

Yes it is. You just have a to give the people a team to give a shit about.

NJD made 5 cup appearances and won 3. It did nothing. RBNY have won the SS twice recently...nothing. Explain.

MetroFever

MetroFever

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

I'm going with the assumption that the Red Bulls fans who think this area is a huge "sports town" weren't alive or were too young to remember the 70's and 80's.

In the 70's, you had real Yankee fans at games. In the 80's, Giants Stadium was rocking and fans were up on every defensive stand and Shea Stadium was the place to be. In the late 90's, the sports enthusiasm started to wane.

The NY Giants fan base is the most loyal in the area...period. But yet, there were THOUSANDS of empty seats at each of the two games I've been to the last two years. CHUNKS of empty seats that the cameras never show you (everyone notice how they rarely give wide crowd shots at sporting events like they did in the old days?).

When the camera pans to the few cheap seats at Yankee Stadium, folks are bored to tears and swiping away at their iPhones or bullshitting with the person next to them.

The Brooklyn Nets were supposed to rival the Knicks as far as ticket sales, but MSG continues to sellout and the crowd at Barclays Center is not any greater than it was at the Meadowlands Arena. Gosh, weren't folks from Brooklyn all going to come out (even though they suck as bad as the Knicks) because this is a huge sports town?

At Red Bull games, at least 30% of the crowd is gone by the 85th minute? You mean, you took the train all the way here just so that you can miss a potential exciting ending to save time on your commute  :blink:? In that case, stay home.

We USED to be a huge sports town. Now, the guy that sits next to you doesn't know most of the players on the team and is too busy posting on Facebook Live that he's at the game, instead of actually watching it.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

What I see is viewership down across many different areas such as tv, news, sports, the backbone of american mainstream distraction machine at least in places where it used to be huge, mainly the big cities. Personally I am happy about all of this and am myself tired of so called entertainment business including major sports. It has become pretty clear to me an many others that it is all a game, a swindle, a money maker for the few and a distraction from things that actually matter and where people are putting their time and energy towards. I hope to see the end of corporate control of sports just like media is getting out of corporate stranglehold, as well as tv dying slowly with people consuming digital media over the internet. In sports it seems it has just begun but viewership is down across most major sports, both live and tv and it won't be missed by me.

But that's just me.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
It's always been a distraction and entertainment, this is nothing new.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT
Sports were always for profit and have become increasingly expensive and it's been a joke that people get 30 million dollars to play ball. This isn't a revelation. Philly is still a great sports town. NYNJ have too many teams and it's not a good geographic setup. No good.

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

It's all a game....thanks for pointing out the obvious? Anyone that didn't realize these grown men were playing a game are out of their mind.

Professional sports has always been a for-profit business. They are selling entertainment and a brand. I know some like to think we are Europe and 100 year old 'clubs' deeply rooted in tradition and 'against modern football' but that has never been and never will be the case here in the United States.

People care less and less for a variety of reasons. Ticket prices are always rising and we live in a technology-rich society where folks can watch whatever team they want on the Internet regardless of geographic location. This market is saturated and overpriced. Corporations buy up large blocks of tickets to wine and dine their staff and potential clients. The average joe who needs a distraction from his shit job is less and less able to attend as the years go by.

break516beatz

break516beatz

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,052 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Man United

NJD made 5 cup appearances and won 3. It did nothing. RBNY have won the SS twice recently...nothing. Explain.

I can't really comment on the Devils because, to be honest, I don't have enough knowledge to make an educated guess. I've been to the Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines/Izod Center once in my life. I remember the arena being a complete dump. Maybe that had something to do with it? I have no clue. 

As far as this team is concerned maybe being branded like an energy drink has something to do with it. Maybe because the team can't market itself if its life depended on it. Maybe because there many people don't feel connected to it in any way. I don't know the answer. If I did, I'd like to think I'd be on the team's payroll and help correct things. But what I do know is that if people truly gave a shit about this team and cared enough they'd show up. 

F U NYCFC

Our home, our club. You will always be #2 in NY/NJ

If you want to hear my ramblings on football and hockey on Twitter, give me a follow: @jeffreykleiman

adam22

adam22

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,433 posts

I can't really comment on the Devils because, to be honest, I don't have enough knowledge to make an educated guess. I've been to the Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines/Izod Center once in my life. I remember the arena being a complete dump. Maybe that had something to do with it? I have no clue. 

As far as this team is concerned maybe being branded like an energy drink has something to do with it. Maybe because the team can't market itself if its life depended on it. Maybe because there many people don't feel connected to it in any way. I don't know the answer. If I did, I'd like to think I'd be on the team's payroll and help correct things. But what I do know is that if people truly gave a shit about this team and cared enough they'd show up. 

CAA was a dump but Prudential is not. And it's close to public transportation (a common complaint about CAA). Still, no uptick.

It's not your job to figure it out. But, I think even talented individuals word struggle to grow the team's footprint.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

been to the Brendan Byrne/Continental Airlines/Izod Center once in my life. I remember the arena being a complete dump. 

This is nonsense. There was nothing wrong with the Meadowlands Arena. I was there for the first concert when it opened, and the last one before it closed, as well as dozens, if not hundreds, of events in between. It also had a major upgrade at one point.
The biggest problems were the outside setting in an industrial wasteland, lack of mass transit, the poor crowd atmosphere inside due to oppressive management, and crowding the single concourse with kiosks.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

CAA was a dump but Prudential is not. And it's close to public transportation (a common complaint about CAA). Still, no uptick.

It's not your job to figure it out. But, I think even talented individuals word struggle to grow the team's footprint.

Driving out of Prudential is the worst out of any sporting event i have ever been to. RBA included. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users