5) Ambivalent Apathy
    ::: Greenwood FC :::
    --------------------
  • Supports:Pints of Jamesons

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:31 PM

...and Valley Girl.

Right guys?

...hello?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.
-H. L. Mencken
----------------------
The Dunning–Kruger effect is a cognitive bias in which "unskilled people reach erroneous conclusions and make unfortunate choices but their incompetence robs them of the metacognitive ability to realize it." The unskilled therefore suffer from illusory superiority, rating their own ability as above average.

#32 ucsdguy

ucsdguy

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,773 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Tottenham hotspur

Posted 08 April 2007 - 09:58 AM

I rented Babel yesterday. between the little moroccan kid whacking off to his sister then shooting at a bus of tourists, deaf-mute asian girl getting kicked out of a volleyball match then trying to get a dentist to feel her up, and the housekeepr who took two little white kids to her son's wedding in mexico and lost them in the desert, I am totally weirded out.

#33 stagnant1

stagnant1

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

I rented Babel yesterday. between the little moroccan kid whacking off to his sister then shooting at a bus of tourists, deaf-mute asian girl getting kicked out of a volleyball match then trying to get a dentist to feel her up, and the housekeepr who took two little white kids to her son's wedding in mexico and lost them in the desert, I am totally weirded out.

I saw Babel over the weekend and thought it was a good movie. Not the best movie, but certainly better than The Departed.

#34 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 17 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

I saw Babel over the weekend and thought it was a good movie. Not the best movie, but certainly better than The Departed.

gotta disagree with you there buddy. i loved Amores Perros and was expecting more from Inarritu. i liked Babel, but The Departed was the better film. very unexpected finished. as for Babel, there were tons of questions left unanswered at the end of the film.

#35 dirtyboy

dirtyboy

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,500 posts

Posted 17 April 2007 - 09:02 PM

I thought Babel and The Departed were both shit. How Scorsese won for that piece of shit is beyond me.

#36 stagnant1

stagnant1

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,157 posts

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:27 PM

I thought Babel and The Departed were both shit. How Scorsese won for that piece of shit is beyond me.

I could not agree with you more on The Departed. I thought that movie was really bad...as in not good.

#37 mandarindeli

mandarindeli

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:film, my artwork, writing, listening to music, wasting time on the internet, soccer
  • Supports:Galaxy, Chelsea, USMNT, England

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:41 PM

Didn't watch The Departed (although I ran them both), but I'm sort of sick of ensemble films like Babel. It was better than Crash, but it still felt like one of those movies that really middlebrow people go to, and then afterward they feel all smart like they just saw something Significant.

#38 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:42 PM

Didn't watch The Departed (although I ran them both), but I'm sort of sick of ensemble films like Babel. It was better than Crash, but it still felt like one of those movies that really middlebrow people go to, and then afterward they feel all smart like they just saw something Significant.

i've stopped talking to people who think Crash is a great movie.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#39 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:55 PM

Crash is to thoughtful movies what Olive Garden is to Italian cuisine.

I watched some of Incident at Loch Ness this morning on one of the 900 HBO's I get. It's a "documentary" about "Werner Herzog", played by Werner Herzog, making a documentary about the Loch Ness monster. Maybe I hadn't had enough coffee yet, but it was too "meta" for me, and I normally like that sort of thing.

#40 cesar

cesar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,146 posts
  • Supports:Women

Posted 18 April 2007 - 12:56 PM

i've stopped talking to people who think Crash is a great movie.

the fingering scene is all you have to watch!

#41 mandarindeli

mandarindeli

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts
  • Interests:film, my artwork, writing, listening to music, wasting time on the internet, soccer

Posted 18 April 2007 - 01:34 PM

Crash is to thoughtful movies what Olive Garden is to Italian cuisine.

Bahahahaa! Oh my God, you fucking WIN.

#42 CoolHandRobb

CoolHandRobb

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • Supports:GALAXY, LIVERPOOL, CELTIC

Posted 20 April 2007 - 04:50 AM

I feel like an outcast that I loved the departed, it made me not hate leonardo dicaprio and marky mark and thats saying a lot. I know this is an outdated film but crank is a good mindless action movie, but how can you hate a movie with turkish in it, watched it tonight and dug it. As far as 300 goes i watched most of it on an ipod and it is one of the craziest war flicks i've ever seen, good stuff getting it as soon as its on dvd. I'm against the movie theater, they don't let you drink or smoke and nothing says movie watching like bushmills and cigarettes.

#43 CALEXICO

CALEXICO

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,581 posts
  • Interests:Soccer. Fencing. Music. Film. Communication Theory.
  • Supports:LOS ANGELES GALAXY

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:03 AM

Didn't watch The Departed (although I ran them both), but I'm sort of sick of ensemble films like Babel.

WORD.

There was this whole avalanche of films around 99/2000 that was all about how "random human lines intersect".

I didn't really like Amores Perros, even though the performances were quite good. I just got tired of the plot. I felt like Phillip Seymour Hofman in Red Dragon - "Here is a bunch of unhappy people making bad decisions - do you see?"

21 Grams was fucking unwatchable.

I didn't see Crash, just because of the reviews it got. I'm thinking I may rent Babel, just to make sure.

#44 robmar

robmar

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Bowling
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:58 AM

Three must rent and see's for this weekend:
1.)Army of darkness
2.)The professional(1992 or 1994 ?)
3.)Walking tall (starring:the rock)

#45 mandarindeli

mandarindeli

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,790 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:11 PM

I think I can safely say, "Don't go see Pathfinder." I ran it last night, and everyone walked out in the middle of the third reel. And mind you, these were the sort of guys who would enjoy mindless Viking violence.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users