JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars
https://www.torontof...captains-letter

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ianuaditis

ianuaditis

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,294 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Everton

https://www.torontof...captains-letter

well, that's clearly a bullshit trophy, fake achievement.  I mean, it's not even shaped like a cup for fuck's sake!

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

fake achievement ... not even shaped like a cup!

I believe thats pronounced koop in Canada.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

well, that's clearly a bullshit trophy, fake achievement.  I mean, it's not even shaped like a cup for fuck's sake!

Dead horse territory, but just like the Open Cup, the Supporters' Shield it seems to matter a whole lot for the team winning it and not much to everyone else. Some of that is sour grapes, sure, but mostly it doesn't really matter if you bomb in the playoffs (getting a CCL berth is nice, of course). For me at least, the lows after crashing out of the playoffs felt worse than the highs of winning the Shields.

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,521 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I'm still much happier having two banners waving in our stadium, especially to Shitty FC's zero. 

Doesn't mean the cup wont mean 10x more, but soccer is a unique sport in that it does have multiple meaningful competitions and awards. You cant tell me Arsenal fans didnt appreciate their recent run of FA cups. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

I'm still much happier having two banners waving in our stadium, especially to Shitty FC's zero. 

Doesn't mean the cup wont mean 10x more, but soccer is a unique sport in that it does have multiple meaningful competitions and awards. You cant tell me Arsenal fans didnt appreciate their recent run of FA cups. 

I personally agree but FA cup success hasn't stopped everyone from saying Arsene should have been fired after missing the Champions League one time.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

I personally agree but FA cup success hasn't stopped everyone from saying Arsene should have been fired after missing the Champions League one time.

the Arsene Out stuff pre-dated the Champs League miss.   No point in making the CL every year if you never get close to the final.   No Gunners I know give a rats ass about the FA Cup at this point.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

RandomHero

RandomHero

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,691 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT, Roma & ManU

They have banners flyng, just they aren't theirs. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

I appreciate the FA Cups recently won. 

In turn, for us, I'd appreciate EVERY SINGLE domestic trophy won (MLSCup, Shield, USOC), and CCL if we ever get deep in that tournament. Seattle, Chicago and SKC are 3/4/5 in domestic trophies won based SOLELY on how many USOCs they've won (four each).

All Liverpool fans want to win the league and they haven't done so recently. Do Liverpool fans discount the treble they won in ~2003 or whatever? The Champions League win? Thought so. You gladly accept any trophy won. To think otherwise reeks of idiocy.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

soccer is a unique sport in that it does have multiple meaningful competitions and awards.

Thats one of the faults of US professional sports and their fans. On the secondary and university levels, most fans appreciate winning their athletic conference, as well as city, county & sectional championships. Many even take joy from a Big Game win, whether its the traditional Thanksgiving Day rival, or something similar. Why this doesnt happen in the pros is beyond me.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts

No Gunners I know give a rats ass about the FA Cup at this point.

Shame on them, then.
13 wins & 20 appearances in the final are both records. For Wenger, seven wins are also top for a manager.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Shame on them, then.
13 wins & 20 appearances in the final are both records. For Wenger, seven wins are also top for a manager.

Grass is always greener. Watch Wenger leave/be fired after (or during) this season and Arsenal continue to miss CL for the next half-decade at least.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

I appreciate the FA Cups recently won. 

In turn, for us, I'd appreciate EVERY SINGLE domestic trophy won (MLSCup, Shield, USOC), and CCL if we ever get deep in that tournament. Seattle, Chicago and SKC are 3/4/5 in domestic trophies won based SOLELY on how many USOCs they've won (four each).

All Liverpool fans want to win the league and they haven't done so recently. Do Liverpool fans discount the treble they won in ~2003 or whatever? The Champions League win? Thought so. You gladly accept any trophy won. To think otherwise reeks of idiocy.

Not exactly a fair comparison. CL win > domestic league in Europe, always. The extreme example is Real firing Del Bosque after winning the domestic double and only getting to the semis of the CL (then they didn't reach the semis for the next 7 years, including 6 consecutive last 16 exits).

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

another extreme "Jesus Christ are you fucks spoiled" example is when Heynckes won the Champions League with Real, only to get fired for poor domestic form.

You didn't say anything about the minor treble of the League Cup, FA Cup and Cup Winners Cup(?). Are those 3 trophies on display in the trophy case at Anfield?

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts

Not sure what we're arguing about anymore :)

Liverpool: All trophies are cool, of course. I'm sure Pool fans are happy they won all of the cups in 03 (they usually call it a quintuple, counting the 2 supercup wins as well). I'm also sure they are happier with the CL win 2 years later. A lot of them would probably trade all of those cup wins for a CL spot this year, let alone a title.

Arsenal: FA and League Cups are cool, sure. At the same time, there's pretty much a consensus now that Arsene is past it and will never win a title or a CL, so that shows you the relative importance of all of those cup wins in the long run. (Yes, this is another edition of spoiled ungrateful fans.)

Metro: winning the Shields was great. Winning the Open Cup would've been awesome (I made the trip to KC). My initial point about the Shield was prompted by the Bradley letter that was posted, presumably as proof how important the SS was and how much players care about it. Which is fine, but OF COURSE TFC players would say that now.

Marsch and Kljestan were saying how important the SS was two years ago, but in the build-up to the OC final, both of them downplayed the SS, even though it is easily their greatest accomplishment at RB by a mile. You be the judge on which sentiment rings more true - what they said 2 years ago or 2 weeks ago. Imho, it's the one from 2 weeks ago, and most if not all MLS players feel the same way.

Slightly different for fans, but I'd generally expect the same thing. SS/OC wins are great, but if you don't win them, it's not necessarily a failed season. A failed season is not making the playoffs or crashing out early if you do. Obviously everyone is entitled to their opinion on how to value different trophies.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users