21 replies to this topic

cBr

cBr

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,902 posts
quality signing require resources which ownership doesnt care to spend on us

Ask yourself this...would you spend money on ferrilizer/grass seeds etc on an empty plot of land that you intend on flipping to a future developer just bc you want it to look green?

Expansion markets are dwindling. An MLS franchise with its own stadium will sell for a major premium in a few years.

We are the dirt patch of investment land

5 year plan

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

quality signing require resources which ownership doesnt care to spend on us

Ask yourself this...would you spend money on ferrilizer/grass seeds etc on an empty plot of land that you intend on flipping to a future developer just bc you want it to look green?

Expansion markets are dwindling. An MLS franchise with its own stadium will sell for a major premium in a few years.

We are the dirt patch of investment land

A successful team is certainly worth a lot more. You certainly invest a bit in an apartment/building when planning to flip it, and then charge the next buyer (way) more than you invested.

I wouldn't hold my breath and count on RB selling. They are just happy enough with the brand exposure from the team/arena name.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

A successful team is certainly worth a lot more. You certainly invest a bit in an apartment/building when planning to flip it, and then charge the next buyer (way) more than you invested.

I wouldn't hold my breath and count on RB selling. They are just happy enough with the brand exposure from the team/arena name.

You only have to be successful at the point you are selling.

Does the branding actually work?  I've never come across anyone that drinks Red Bull because of the team.  It's anecdotal, but I've only seen been the opposite - people aren't fans because the team is named for a drink or fans of the team don't drink Red Bull in protest.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Does the branding actually work?  I've never come across anyone that drinks Red Bull because of the team.  It's anecdotal, but I've only seen been the opposite - people aren't fans because the team is named for a drink or fans of the team don't drink Red Bull in protest.

Not true - the bigger the fan base, the more valuable the team would be.

You don't know many teenagers.  Kids growing up in NJ soccer for the past decade very much associate RB with soccer.   You know how many kid wear their uniform every week, and how many kids play against them every week?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
This will moved to beat the dead horse shortly lol

As much as I would like to have a real name for the team so we can all finally move past this endless discussion I still find it laughable how many act like we are a complete dog shit organization. You would think we never even make the playoffs with the way some of these crybabies act and post on social media.

We won the supporters shield in 2013 and 2015, finished first in the east last year and in 2014 were 1 Cahill missed chance away from going to the MLS cup final.

Is it Red Bulls fault our guys choke when it matters most?

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Not true - the bigger the fan base, the more valuable the team would be.

You don't know many teenagers.  Kids growing up in NJ soccer for the past decade very much associate RB with soccer.   You know how many kid wear their uniform every week, and how many kids play against them every week?

I agree, I'm just saying the fanbase doesn't have to be big now, it just has to be big when they sell.

My son has gone to about 10 different RB soccer camps and he has a friend from town that plays in the Academy now.  You are a 100% correct in that NJ kids associate RB with soccer.  My point was they don't associate RB with the drink.  My son has never had an energy drink and I've never seen an energy drink at any of the camps or seen any of his friends drink RB.  You're right in they are selling their brand, I just think for the kids it's a soccer brand and not a drink brand.  But yea, I can see how that can be leveraged.

ldandria

ldandria

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,574 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Hartford Athletic, USMNT

This will moved to beat the dead horse shortly lol

As much as I would like to have a real name for the team so we can all finally move past this endless discussion I still find it laughable how many act like we are a complete dog shit organization. You would think we never even make the playoffs with the way some of these crybabies act and post on social media.

We won the supporters shield in 2013 and 2015, finished first in the east last year and in 2014 were 1 Cahill missed chance away from going to the MLS cup final.

Is it Red Bulls fault our guys choke when it matters most?

it could be so much worse. The past few seasons have been pretty good actually. And all the "Metro" guys wanna bitch about no MLS Cup.. it's not like we won it way back then, when there were only 10 teams to compete against.

But I digress.. Red Bull still is the evil empire in my book.

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

It's certainly not easy to turn the successful switch off and on.

Re branding, I always think that same thing about marketing in general. Way more commercials turn me off products than lure me in, but I’m guessing it’s not a multi-billion dollar industry for no reason. I don't know any people buying Red Bull because of their wingsuit flying videos or because of the guy that did the stratosphere jump, but presumably they're not just pouring money into that stuff out of the goodness of their heart?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

http://www.nj.com/hu...h_of_bacon.html

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

uptownbull

uptownbull

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Supports:METRO! Barca, PR libre

They are banking on all these little kids growing up to pour vodka in their red bulls soon enough, and to slam it down to stay awake at work after nights out as young adults. Lifestyle marketing works. I'm sure there are spreadsheets in Austria that prove it.

The more you hear & see a brand, the more likely you are to reach for their product when you're in the market for products they sell. That's why at a new / well-run movie theater you will hear "thank you for coming to Loews" 3 times before you leave the building. 3 times seems to be the threshold for securing a piece of subconscious mental real estate, and manufacturing consent.

So slimy. Either rebrand the bull or red bull the fuck out.

RED. BULL. OUT. 

#SaveTheMetro

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

#RedBullOut, always.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

It's certainly not easy to turn the successful switch off and on.

Re branding, I always think that same thing about marketing in general. Way more commercials turn me off products than lure me in, but I’m guessing it’s not a multi-billion dollar industry for no reason. I don't know any people buying Red Bull because of their wingsuit flying videos or because of the guy that did the stratosphere jump, but presumably they're not just pouring money into that stuff out of the goodness of their heart?

Let's start with turning it "on."   Haven't figured that one out yet.   Off should be easy.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metro4LIFE

Metro4LIFE

Electron Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,421 posts
  • Interests:Metro, Graffiti, Art, Hookers
  • Supports:Metro

The thing about winning is that in MLS it doesn't matter. What matter is that you don't completely suck. 

What I mean is that MLS has no real pulling power when it comes to non-fans. So winning MLS Cup doesn't really matter. But what matter is that you don't completely suck and are always in the hunt. Because if you completely suck then you will lose your core fans. Lose your core fans and its a hard hole to come back from.

This isn't like any other league in the world, you can't have a dynasty in MLS anymore. I would say if everything goes right for you had you have the perfect squad you will most likely have 3 or 4 years of success then you will go back to a hole you will need to climb out of, the league is designed for this. Houston is probably a recent example. They were great from like 2006-08, came back in 2010-12, then have been in the shit hole ever since. In return their fans left even with a nice stadium. But yet they've won cups, so why? You can see multiple examples of this throughout the league. Winning simply isn't the magic bullet to gaining fans or growing the fanbase.

What is, is day in and day out connecting with the fanbase and community. Not being dicks to SGs. Taking you team seriously as a its own entity. Teams who do that can ride out the bad seasons with very minimal impact.(ie Portland, Seattle, etc). This isn't MLS 1.0 where a team can win 3 cups in a row its a different league where every part of it is designed for you to not dominate. SO if you're looking to that to make your team more valuable and bigger, you are going to be very disappointed.

Soy Del Metrooooo, Del Metro soy yoooooooo!

FootballClubMaps.com :: High Quality Football Posters from around the globe. Get yours today!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,113 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
We are the Islanders under Charles Wang. Not even the owner cares. I'm waiting for us to trade for Tim Thomas to get to the cap floor. Seriously the best thing that could happen for all of us is for a scientific study to come out tomorrow linking Red Bull to every cancer known to man and the lawsuits bankrupt the soda people and force them to sell.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

Komba

Komba

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

We are not even close to the Islanders in that situation... Wang hired a freaking backup goalie to the the GM of the damn team.

We play it tight as far as money goes(which sucks), but no different than CBus, Dallas, and other good teams.  And if Marsch only got control late this offseason, then this next window is the one that really matters anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users