162 replies to this topic

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

I just love that people immediately form opinions on a player they've never heard of prior to today.

It's been going on for 25 years. :)

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit here... surely it's fair to make at least some assumptions based on a player's resume, no? If we signed a guy whose highest level of playing experience was a Sunday beer league, I think you're pretty safe to figure he's not gonna take a starting position.

Yearwood is a far less extreme example, but the kid is a prospect with very little actual playing time in his career. I think its a healthy level of skepticism to wonder if he could make the same impact as a player who has already proven he can cut it at the highest levels of the game. Especially after years of having a team stacked with young talent that was that one "missing piece" away from an MLS Cup.

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Playing Devil's Advocate a bit here... surely it's fair to make at least some assumptions based on a player's resume, no? If we signed a guy whose highest level of playing experience was a Sunday beer league, I think you're pretty safe to figure he's not gonna take a starting position.

Yearwood is a far less extreme example, but the kid is a prospect with very little actual playing time in his career. I think its a healthy level of skepticism to wonder if he could make the same impact as a player who has already proven he can cut it at the highest levels of the game. Especially after years of having a team stacked with young talent that was that one "missing piece" away from an MLS Cup.

Yeah look healthy skepticism is fine and if this guy was a slam dunk then his transfer fee wouldn't be $1.5M. But earnest concern based in legitimate questions is different than saying,"another $1.5M down the drain."

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I've been doing some reading from Brentford fans and journalists and my general sense is that everyone is a bit disappointed Yearwood didn't really get a chance but that, also, central midfield is arguably the strongest part of the depth chart and there wasn't really a spot for him to get an opportunity. 

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Thelwell is on the hook for this one. Lets see how it plays out.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,342 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

Yeah look healthy skepticism is fine and if this guy was a slam dunk then his transfer fee wouldn't be $1.5M. But earnest concern based in legitimate questions is different than saying,"another $1.5M down the drain."

Ah didn't see the down the drain part, yeah that's a little extreme.

Slam dunks can be had at a few mil, its just usually a vet. Diego Valari cost Portland only a smidge more than Jorgensen cost us, but he was 27 when he signed. I get that isn't what Red Bull is after right now, but the option is there.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

What do you mean I'm not taking a starting position?

Edited by Metrohoboken, 14 July 2020 - 02:21 PM.

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,262 posts

Oh, it's absolutely fair, but the consensus has been wrong so many times before. Luke at someone like Luke Rodgers, who people (me including) dismissed before ever seeing him play. Or Perry Nelly. Too many other examples...

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,440 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

Oh, it's absolutely fair, but the consensus has been wrong so many times before. Luke at someone like Luke Rodgers, who people (me including) dismissed before ever seeing him play. Or Perry Nelly. Too many other examples...

My favorite was when we signed Kemar. There was a thread full of people shitting on him because he came from the Jamaican league and therefore must suck.

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,132 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

Mike Grella is the poster child for this list.

RedBullCola

RedBullCola

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Supports:Redbulls
You guys are missing my point. If we had a couple of stars on the club I would have no issue. This move is criticized because its another project. If were trying to win a cup, you dont sign projects.

I love the foundation of the club now. We just need a player or two of quality put us over the top.

Year wood is just collateral damage, he is not the type of player we need now. Plain and simple. Anyone applauding this move at THIS time is satisfied with mediocrity.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

You guys are missing my point. If we had a couple of stars on the club I would have no issue. This move is criticized because its another project. If were trying to win a cup, you dont sign projects.

I love the foundation of the club now. We just need a player or two of quality put us over the top.

Year wood is just collateral damage, he is not the type of player we need now. Plain and simple. Anyone applauding this move at THIS time is satisfied with mediocrity.

In any other year I might agree but with everything thats happening and the uncertainty of the next year or so...from a purely BUSINESS perspective Im not sure it would be the wisest decision to invest in a legit DP right now.

...not that they will ever spend like that ever again, but still...

MTF

MTF

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts
I can see it now: The New York Red Bulls have signed Lionel Messi to a four year, $100 million, DP contract through 2025.

Messi?? Hes washed up! Too small! We need someone who will put in the defensive work! Ball hog!

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Ah didn't see the down the drain part, yeah that's a little extreme.

Slam dunks can be had at a few mil, its just usually a vet. Diego Valari cost Portland only a smidge more than Jorgensen cost us, but he was 27 when he signed. I get that isn't what Red Bull is after right now, but the option is there.

Pity Martinez was an Argentina-capped star for River Plate and he's struggled to produce better than Florian Valot. To call Valeri a slam dunk is to do so with hindsight. 

General Robles

General Robles

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,260 posts
  • Supports:Metro & Newcastle

Anyone applauding this move at THIS time is satisfied with mediocrity.

That is simply not true. Those two are not mutually exclusive. You're allowed to be frustrated and pessimistic about the move. That doesn't mean you need to speak in absolutes. 

I am not satisfied with the club being mediocre. I desperately want them to sign a high-priced, DP forward. I also am happy and cautiously optimistic that they signed a 20 year old at a position of need, with the pedigree to be acquired by an analytic-driven club on the cusp of Premier League promotion. I am happy and cautiously optimistic that it appears to be the first Thelwell driven transfer. 

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

There is also a report that Brentford is going to buy a 19 year old Danish center midfielder from RB Leipzig.  ...

If they are dealing with RB, then they likely have a similar style, which adds credibility to the deal

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,583 posts

no we got it - it is all about stars.  We came (sorta) close with and without stars over the last 10 years. 

collateral damage ?- yes he is the type of player we need now (as 3/4 behind Davis -your favorite- and CCJ). more so in 2021 when CCJ likely gets sold.

We can all agree a DP forward would be super duper.  

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users