#RedBullOut

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

I have no problem with Red Bulls bringing in DPs in the 800k-2million range that are younger.  However, even if we win, I don't think they will draw as well as bringing in big names.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, US National Team

I have no problem with Red Bulls bringing in DPs in the 800k-2million range that are younger.  However, even if we win, I don't think they will draw as well as bringing in big names.

Which begs the question... Do we really NEED big names, or a solid TEAM that will contend for championships in every level. To me, that alone should be able to fill the seats in RBA fans knowing that winning a championship for the team is a matter of IF not when? I want this team to be at a point where EVERY year we are considered a strong contender for the Cup. Only time will tell.

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Which begs the question... Do we really NEED big names, or a solid TEAM that will contend for championships in every level. To me, that alone should be able to fill the seats in RBA fans knowing that winning a championship for the team is a matter of IF not when? I want this team to be at a point where EVERY year we are considered a strong contender for the Cup. Only time will tell.

This fanbase has had no trouble embracing and supporting no-names like Luke Rodgers, who sold a ton of jerseys.   Winning, entrtaining soccer is all we need.  We can make stars, we donlt have to buy them.   If any no-name guy came along and did what Henry's done, he'd be a hero here, maybe even more of one.

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros

Red Bull can get more fans from these boards and die hard fans by having a winning team.  However, as far as getting the general public:  Latin Americans that are semi interested, Eurosnobs and the general sports fan, I think we need big names.  Red Bulls draw very well  for away games.  Some teams use larger stadiums when they play the Red Bulls because the know they will get a large crowd. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

And if you get Argies/Colombians/Ecuadorans in the 500k-2mil range who can ball pretty well, i don't think attendance will be as big of a problem as people think.

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

NYC is Red

NYC is Red

Reserve Team

• PipPip
  • 118 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Man United, US Soccer

Winning and competing for championships would solve the attendance problems. Everyone like a winner. When the Red Bulls won the shield against Chicago, last year, RBA was almost sold-out.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Winning and competing for championships would solve the attendance problems. Everyone like a winner. When the Red Bulls won the shield against Chicago, last year, RBA was almost sold-out.

Attendance has been almost flat for a long time.  Good season or not.

#RedBullOut

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

We've had 1 or 2 highly paid players and won fuck all. So, I'm willing to give mid-level western hemisphere dudes a shot if they'll be here for 4 years and give us a chance to win. I'd take an RSL team that won a lot vs. a NYCFC team that had stars and sucked (can I have both?); I'm not worried about winning the attendance battle, because attendance smack only sticks if you're winning too. 

I'd rather have Argies & Colombians than ex-Europeans. We all saw how Freddy Ljunberg worked out- and he was paid well (enough). Give me 3 Joel Lindperes instead any day of the week. 

DC used to win & have great crowds; we lost & had average ones. They rubbed both in our face. Then they started losing, and they can't draw dick. Our turn to laugh. 

So, just win. Everything else is shit people argue about because they can't talk about winning. 

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

And if you get Argies/Colombians/Ecuadorans in the 500k-2mil range who can ball pretty well, i don't think attendance will be as big of a problem as people think.

Which pretty much sums up what my ex-coworker said to me two years ago when I asked him why his friends and family won't attend any matches, despite living in the ironbound section of Newark...

"They have a team full of fucking Europeans, a couple of soccer-mommy Americans and the asshole of all assholes in Rafa Marquez. Are you kidding me? That's YOUR squad? There's nobody from South or Central America on the roster. There's nobody I know or worth supporting on this team. Until they understand and scout a little better, I'll keep my interest with my team from home in Brazil (Santos)."

In aliquo puncto, vos have ut decernere si vos es a fan verum Morbi fan ut vere aut vult Morbi ludis.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

Would love to see BWP or Sene up top with the equivalents of an Ayovi, Piatti, Valeri, castillo right behind providing great service and good runs. mix it up with sam and oyongo?  serious ankles being broken that'll make Southern Cal's Josh Shaw say, "Cot-damn"

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

jamison

jamison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,506 posts
  • Supports:New York

Would love to see BWP or Sene up top with the equivalents of an Ayovi, Piatti, Valeri, castillo right behind providing great service and good runs. mix it up with sam and oyongo?  serious ankles being broken that'll make Southern Cal's Josh Shaw say, "Cot-damn"

And you'd need a Dunga to play some fucking Defense behind that lot, but yeah. Totally okay with NYRB being:

1. Academy kids from Jersey(ish)
2. Central/South Americans
3. One or two occasional Europeans. 

I'd like to sign some Copa Libertadores-level stand outs who'd rather play here for less or about the same than they'd get in Mexico. Guys who are rock solid but 27 and probably on the wrong side of the Transfer Age Laffer Curve ™  to move over to Europe & be the next James Rodriguez. Go find some of those guys, and let this be a team that plays with a strong passing style and a mix of US & Latin influences, instead of trying to be European.

That would be great.  

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts

Well if you want destroyers in the middle, that's what plucking players out of the Championship is for.  

Fellaini's Afro

Fellaini's Afro

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,620 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Everton, BU Bearcats

Which pretty much sums up what my ex-coworker said to me two years ago when I asked him why his friends and family won't attend any matches, despite living in the ironbound section of Newark...

"They have a team full of fucking Europeans, a couple of soccer-mommy Americans and the asshole of all assholes in Rafa Marquez. Are you kidding me? That's YOUR squad? There's nobody from South or Central America on the roster. There's nobody I know or worth supporting on this team. Until they understand and scout a little better, I'll keep my interest with my team from home in Brazil (Santos)."

So they only care about the nationalities of players and not the actual club? Your ex-worker, his friends and family are all idiots.

HarlemKnight

HarlemKnight

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

So they only care about the nationalities of players and not the actual club? Your ex-worker, his friends and family are all idiots.

If you want, you can say that to their collective faces, they all live just across the bridge from the stadium on Lafayette Street. Go right ahead. Please, feel free. Go fucking nuts.

Just so you know, he's a retired NJ State Prison guard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users