Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros
http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=42220

Although not great numbers, looks like Red Bulls have similar ratings with NJ Devils who probably have a much more lucrative contract.

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts
  • Supports:Metro

http://bigapplesocce...rticle_id=42220

Although not great numbers, looks like Red Bulls have similar ratings with NJ Devils who probably have a much more lucrative contract.

That's a sign more people are watching in NYC at large  and more are paying attention to MLS with NYCFC in the fold( and probably a sign more fans are staying at home to watch vs. going into the stadium, call me a hater I don't care).  

Anyone know what the ratings were historically?  I always thought we were very close to the Devils.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

That's a sign more people are watching (and probably a sign more fans are staying at home to watch vs. going into the stadium).  

I was waiting for this inevitable spin on it... how are the attendance numbers this year compared to last?    (though the lack of Saturday night games skew that quite a bit)

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

regulator

regulator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,437 posts
  • Supports:Metrostars, USMNT, Ecuador

That's a sign more people are watching in NYC at large  and more are paying attention to MLS with NYCFC in the fold(and probably a sign more fans are staying at home to watch vs. going into the stadium, call me a hater I don't care).  

Per the article, Red Bulls are averaging 17.8k on TV this year, which is double last year's avg of 8.9k.  However, I don't think there has been a ~9k drop in game attendance this year. If anything, I'd assume attendance is flat or has gone up. 

I do agree that general interest in MLS has gone up with NYC around. Curious to revisit this next year to see if we drop in ratings towards more historical averages.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
I think you could argue the numbers are even more impressive since they don't include any of our Sunday games which have tended to be our bigger matches (City, TFC w/ Jozy & Bradley).

Elder Statesman

Elder Statesman

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Supports:Metros
http://www.forbes.co...-jersey-devils/

Devils gets 24 million per year for their local tv contract

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

Correct, but they also have 48 more games a year than us.

#RedBullOut

NittanyMetros

NittanyMetros

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,892 posts

I was waiting for this inevitable spin on it... how are the attendance numbers this year compared to last?    (though the lack of Saturday night games skew that quite a bit)

Buoyed by the 2 NYCFC sellouts higher than last season on the paper side.  In-seat attendance outside of those two games has been pretty poor overall.  Especially the weeknight games.  Unfortunately, we burned some bridges after we leaked turnstile numbers earlier in the year.  Much harder to get now.

#RedBullOut

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

it doesn't add up entirely, but 

A) a shitload more games

B) a much more attractive demographic (their tickets cost a lot more than ours, too)

But if we double again next year....  it will be interesting to see

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,781 posts

Buoyed by the 2 NYCFC sellouts higher than last season on the paper side.  In-seat attendance outside of those two games has been pretty poor overall.  Especially the weeknight games.  Unfortunately, we burned some bridges after we leaked turnstile numbers earlier in the year.  Much harder to get now.

We have so few Saturday night games anymore... we've never (in my memory) been able to get people mid-week, or Sunday afternoon when the kids are all playing their own games.

Bitch covered my plaid?
I need my plaid pitch.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
Anecdotally, this year the crowd hasn't seemed smaller and the atmosphere has been as good or maybe even a little better.

Metro Red

Metro Red

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Supports:RBNY/Liverpool
They should hopefully be able to turn this into a nice chunk of money annually. Do they renegotiate annually at this point? I'm asking because it always seems like the last minute before the season when they announce games are on MSG. I thought I remember reading we were getting next to nothing for local broadcast rights. So if done right it could be a big increase.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
The ratings have to be sustainable over a few years before anyone will pay up big. Devils have more games, plus they're coming off a shitty season while we're in the middle of a decent one. Some increase is probably warranted though.

Rybka

Rybka

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts
  • Supports:Metro, River Styx, USA

Thank the positive noise from NYCFC and the women's WC.

I also like the variety in RB scheduling. It allows more people to come to a game. Not everybody can come Saturday evening.

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts

Thank the positive noise from NYCFC and the women's WC.

I also like the variety in RB scheduling. It allows more people to come to a game. Not everybody can come Saturday evening.

The Men's WC was last year... I just think MLS is becoming more popular in general. A lot of my Premier League friend's have been to games outside of me inviting them. More of my son's friends are watching and attending games instead of just playing soccer & FIFA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users