1063 replies to this topic

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

look to how the Pittsburgh Steelers have faith to stay with their managers thru thick &  thin seasons.

No one is questioning the competency of the Steelers head coaches.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Almost every team that wins the Superbowl in the NFL has a bad year following that achievement. Winning the SS IMO is very similar to that. Considering that fact it is better to keep Armas than fire him. Just look to how the Pittsburgh Steelers have faith to stay with their managers thru thick &  thin seasons.The team needs a consistent way to achieve by maintaining him for its long time goal of capturing the MLS cup.

Just like last time you said this, I'll point out this only works if you have a good manager in place who can, of course, have a down year or two.

You can look at the Bengals and how they stuck with Marvin Lewis for 15 seasons for an example of what happens when you keep an average or mediocre guy in place for continuity reasons.

gravediGGer

gravediGGer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts
  • Supports:METRO

Considering that fact it is better to keep Armas than fire him. Just look to how the Pittsburgh Steelers have faith to stay with their managers thru thick &  thin

Opinions are not facts no matter how strongly you believe in them. Especially when using wrong football to make your point.

Sometimes I think the entire Red Bull existence has been some 19 year old kids football manager save file he only plays when he comes home drunk. - 'Mibabalou'

#FUCKredbull

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,798 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Almost every team that wins the Superbowl in the NFL has a bad year following that achievement. ...

Nonsense.  In the NFL, your schedule is determined by how well you did the previous year.  The Superbowl winner gets the toughest schedule and the worst draft picks, in a league where schedule toughness and draft picks are a big deal.      Very different situation in MLS. Also, the Patriots would disagree with you entirely, and the Eagles followed up their Superbowl with two playoff wins the next year.    

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ESCfanatic279

ESCfanatic279

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 959 posts
  • Supports:METRO USMNT

Nonsense.  In the NFL, your schedule is determined by how well you did the previous year.  The Superbowl winner gets the toughest schedule and the worst draft picks, in a league where schedule toughness and draft picks are a big deal.      Very different situation in MLS. Also, the Patriots would disagree with you entirely, and the Eagles followed up their Superbowl with two playoff wins the next year.    

14 of 16 games are on rotation in the NFL. Only 2 of your games are determined on how you did the regular season the previous season. The division winners will play 2 in conference division winners. 2nd place plays 2nd place. 3rd place plays 3rd place. 4th Place plays 4th place. The NFL has the most balanced schedule you can get for a 16 game in 17 week schedule. Something I hope MLS can eventually figure out.

Komba

Komba

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,535 posts

14 of 16 games are on rotation in the NFL. Only 2 of your games are determined on how you did the regular season the previous season. The division winners will play 2 in conference division winners. 2nd place plays 2nd place. 3rd place plays 3rd place. 4th Place plays 4th place. The NFL has the most balanced schedule you can get for a 16 game in 17 week schedule. Something I hope MLS can eventually figure out.

Exactly... You can see almost the entirety of a team's schedule several years down the road.

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,151 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYR, NYJ

Just like last time you said this, I'll point out this only works if you have a good manager in place who can, of course, have a down year or two.

You can look at the Bengals and how they stuck with Marvin Lewis for 15 seasons for an example of what happens when you keep an average or mediocre guy in place for continuity reasons.

Agreed. Or even look at Marsch. We didnt fire him in 2016 after not following up 2015s SS with silverware, but there were clear signs of progress as far as the system he was building, and the team got better as the season progressed. Individual players improved. There was something to hang your hat on.

This season under Armas, I cant point to any improvement. We regressed individually and collectively in almost every conceivable fashion. Not sure what we saw that is supposed to inspire confidence...

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos
Giving Armas another year is just going to be wasting a season of the players time.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

Agreed. Or even look at Marsch. We didnt fire him in 2016 after not following up 2015s SS with silverware, but there were clear signs of progress as far as the system he was building, and the team got better as the season progressed. Individual players improved. There was something to hang your hat on.

This season under Armas, I cant point to any improvement. We regressed individually and collectively in almost every conceivable fashion. Not sure what we saw that is supposed to inspire confidence...

in 2016, we started the season after having sold Miazga. In turn, we acquired Baah. Obviously, he got injured, in addition to all the never-ending issues we had with the backline during the entirety of the Marsch era. Team acquires Collin in early May after posting a 1W 7L record in the beginning to the season. Things pick up, but Lloyd is discarded since his production dropped. Royer brought in. Everything picks up, with results like 3-3 at TFC. To compare with this yr, was there a defensive stalwart acquired to address glaring issues? You could say that's Tarek. Sims is the closest thing to Royer in terms of midseason acquisition of an attacking player. 

Then the playoffs vs MTL happened.

And a bunch of the same issues still existed once it was the '16 Playoffs were over. Is there a Plan B when contesting for 50-50 balls doesn't end up in goals? Grella Muyl and Royer crossing the ball to BWP can't be the only method for getting goals when having possession. And this is part of the overall issue: what can the team do when an opponent bunkers and winning the 50-50s aren't enough? And it's only the offseason of 2017 where we begged for a couple of multi-million $$ acquisitions, and got 1 of the 2 players targeted. They had a chance to do something in July, but it got us Ivan instead. 

It's due to this where I lay a lot of the issues with the Sporting Director. When it was Curtis, I recall plenty of ppl agonizing as to why we had to play Zizzo and Taxi in defense, when better CB acquisitions/scouting might have been better served to supplement promoting reservists (Long). And now that it's Hamlett, the same issue is rearing its head again.

Can't serve a flank steak when all you got to work with is ground up chuck burger meat. Great thing about the '16 season is at the very least, we got the CCL berth. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,312 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Giving Armas another year is just going to be wasting a season of the fans time.

FYP?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

gas huffer

gas huffer

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Supports:metroboludos

FYP?

Ha! Yes, that too.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,966 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics

The team was great under Marsch. Then he left, along with Tyler in the January transfer window, and the team started to suck. So it also stands to reason that Armas is the only real problem here.

need to add this for context. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig, Celenio Eleazar, and my Mom, Resurreccion Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello, Mike Vallo, Glenn Stampiglia, Bob Paquette, and Warren Lee

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

The team was great under Marsch. Then he left and the team started to suck. So it also stands to reason that Armas is the only real problem here.

In 2018, the team had a better record under Armas than under Marsch.  The team didn't really start to suck until we lost Tyler Adams. The team has always been bad after Adams left and BWP evaporated.  The team has not always been bad while Armas has been the coach. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

need to add this for context. 

Sure, but BWP and Kakus production fell off a cliff as soon as Marsch left.

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

In 2018, the team had a better record under Armas than under Marsch.  The team didn't really start to suck until we lost Tyler Adams. The team has always been bad after Adams left and BWP evaporated.  The team has not always been bad while Armas has been the coach. 

IMO the team coasted on fumes after Marsch leaving. Kaku and BWP stopped producing at a high rate in 2018, and then Armas turned the press off and got thumped by Atlanta.

Have we been BAD? No. But we havent been good. The tram was 500 this year and looked like dogshit in their biggest game of the year. Yeah yeah injuries blah blah blah, but after that first 20-30 minutes we looked like a U6 team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users