499 replies to this topic

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts
  • Supports:Metro, RBNYII, RBNY U23s, USMNT

Where would a hybrid team play?  If it's still local wouldn't they have the same attendance issues?  And, if it's not local would they still practice at the same facility as the first team?  I don't really care about attendance as long as we are developing MLS starting level players.

If it's hybrid, ownership would want to be far enough away from MLS to make it matter.

Therefore having a team that can train with the first team would be more difficult. It may be feasible with an independent owner in: Shore points, Morristown, Rockaway NJ, Basking Ridge or even Sussex County.

I think Red Bull is happy with the ROI with players that will come through that they can eventually sell, like Tyler Adams, that it won't matter where the team plays or if they are profitable.
2013 & 2015 Supporters Shield Winners
As Long As We're Breathing

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

If it's hybrid, ownership would want to be far enough away from MLS to make it matter.

How about affiliating with LI Roughriders? They are currently PDL, could move back up to USL & take our slot. They play 64 miles from our training facility. We have a previous relationship with the club.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Can you see their point? RBII averages <1,000, in a league with a dozen teams drawing >4K per game.
If it wasnt attendance, there would be something else griped about. Jealously exists across all lines.

Agreed. USL needs MLS, and has to live with the current format. If MLS withdrew from USL and formed its own reserve league, would USL be viable?

I could see their point if so many other MLS 2 sides weren't so much worse.

There are plenty of MLS 2 teams that are perennial bottom feeders, who don't really have a dedicated, right-sized facilities, playing with rosters that are a mish-mash of whatever academy kids aren't on family vacations that weekend and guys from the senior roster who can't crack the 18.

The only legitimate criticism you can lob at RBNY II is that they don't do well at the gate. But they're among the USL's best teams, offer development opportunities for guys 16-24 who go on to play at all levels of the game and have stable ownership. They're holding up, like, 90% of the bargain MLS and USL hammered out when these reserve teams were created. Compare that to a team like TFC II, or even Sounders 2 or Timbers 2. They're bad jokes compared to what's going on with RBNY II.

And the proposed USL D3 league isn't the MLS Reserve League, Part 2. They just want to give smaller markets/investors without a ton of money a shot. I suppose it'll be closer to the USL of old than what's going on with the league now. Truth be told, it's probably the right fit for some of the MLS 2 teams, because the parent club just doesn't want to make the investment. I think it needs to be done on a team-by-team basis. There's no reason to punish the teams that do put in the work because others don't.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I think Red Bull is happy with the ROI with players that will come through that they can eventually sell, like Tyler Adams, that it won't matter where the team plays or if they are profitable.

RBNY2 would have to be close enough to train at the same facility as the first team to develop players like Adams, right?

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts

The only legitimate criticism you can lob at RBNY II is that they don't do well at the gate.

If it is legitimate criticism, then those making it are not whiners.
USL wants and needs a league of strong, popular teams, not a mix of good and bad teams, or a mix of well and sparsely supported clubs. Playing at home before crowds of several thousand one week, then on the road the next week before a few hundred, is not the goal.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts
USL final tonight 9 PM on ESPNU.
Louisville City v. Swope Park Rangers
Up the ville! F Rangers!

Crowd announced pre-game as sold-out 14,000.

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,406 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Speedy Williams just assisted on the Louisville go-ahead goal.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts
1-0 final: Louisville are champs.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts

Speedy Williams just assisted on the Louisville go-ahead goal.

Good for him. Had a great season last year and was out for our final. Glad he got his chance to play in one tonight.

@CurseofCaricola

Paul Nasta

Paul Nasta

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,106 posts
  • Supports:Old Boys, SBU, RBNY, USMNT

How about affiliating with LI Roughriders? They are currently PDL, could move back up to USL & take our slot. They play 64 miles from our training facility. We have a previous relationship with the club.

Rough Riders are affiliated with NYCFC.  I thought I read something maybe a year ago about the Rough Riders creating a USL team and building a stadium; I haven't heard or read anything more about it since then, though.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts

Rough Riders are affiliated with NYCFC. ...
read something ... about the Rough Riders creating a USL team and building a stadium.

If BoyCity does not support those moves, perhaps RB could poach LIRR.

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts
Atlanta has formally announced their USL team.

Will join Fresno FC, Las Vegas Lights, and Nashville SC as new teams in 2018 with Memphis, Birmingham and DC Scum 2 in 2019.

I believe one or two more MLS teams will announce II teams as well this offseason for play in 2018/2019.

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts

Atlanta ... Fresno FC, Las Vegas ... Nashville ... 2018
with Memphis, Birmingham and DC Scum 2 in 2019.

How many current USL clubs will return in 2018?

Brian.MLS

Brian.MLS

RIP MetroStars

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,966 posts

How many current USL clubs will return in 2018?

Good question. North Carolina FC is coming over from NASL, maybe others if the league folds. Jacksonville Armadas owner is looking for a league.

From the MLS side; Orlando City B denied folding but purged their roster. Seattle is moving their team to Tacoma. Bethlehem is trying to work a deal or else Philly will affiliate with Rochester.
Portland Timbers 2, Vancouver 2 and TFCII have been rumoured to be folding.
I haven't heard anything of substance on the independently owned teams folding.

@CurseofCaricola

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts

North Carolina FC is coming over from NASL

Looks like NCFC have bigger plans:
https://www.google.c...-renderings?amp

Jacksonville Armadas ... looking for a league.

As do J-ville:
http://jacksonville....ancial-services

Orlando City B denied folding but ... Tacoma. Bethlehem ... Portland Timbers 2, Vancouver 2 and TFCII.

Looks like USL will have 30 to 36 clubs in 2018.
Teams played a 32-game schedule in 2017,
could play 34 in 2 divisions of 18.
9 clubs reported average crowds >5K, 3 more >4K.
10 more fall in the 2K to 4K range.
I dont know how honest any of those numbers are.
I also do not know what number makes a team viable.
It is nice to see clubs in so many cities.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users