257 replies to this topic

CGF

CGF

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,232 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

Team got even more 1 dimensional offensively this past season. Went from only being able to score on the counter and set pieces, to really only being able to score on the counter.

Kljestan racks up the assists, but the eye test indicates he isn't a game changer when it comes to picking holes in a defense when they have most players behind the ball. It got so bad that Perrinelle was our best player at serving balls into the box over the top. 

This team could really use a Thierry Henry, withdrawn forward type to pair with BWP/Veron. Someone who is a threat to shoot and dribble but also can serve a through-ball. I think I'd cut ties with Kljestan, go back to a 4-4-2 with Felipe and Adams in the middle or a 5-3-2 with Adams at wingback. Sign a withdrawn forward and good winger to pair with Royer. 

-----------BWP-DP----------

Royer-Adams-Felipe--TAM/DP2

Lawrence-Long-CB--Murillo

Davis as a squad rotation player. 

Whoops, good catch on Murillo. 

"Thank you, Jesus. (Martinez.)"- Jamison

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Team got even more 1 dimensional offensively this past season. Went from only being able to score on the counter and set pieces, to really only being able to score on the counter.

Kljestan racks up the assists, but the eye test indicates he isn't a game changer when it comes to picking holes in a defense when they have most players behind the ball. It got so bad that Perrinelle was our best player at serving balls into the box over the top. 

This team could really use a Thierry Henry, withdrawn forward type to pair with BWP/Veron. Someone who is a threat to shoot and dribble but also can serve a through-ball. I think I'd cut ties with Kljestan, go back to a 4-4-2 with Felipe and Adams in the middle or a 5-3-2 with Adams at wingback. Sign a withdrawn forward and good winger to pair with Royer. 

-----------BWP-DP----------

Royer-Adams-Felipe--TAM/DP2

Lawrence-Long-CB--Adams

Davis as a squad rotation player. 

I am assuming you meant Murillo instead of listing Adams twice.  withdrawn striker guy is fair, person on our roster who best fills that role right now is Etienne, but it would be a major question mark to rely on him to start next season.   If we play 4-2-2-2 again we need DPs/TAM plays in the spots to mentioned, if we stay with 3-3-3-1 I want a TAM CB (just not the type of TAM CBs New England signs).

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Supports:Metro

I am assuming you meant Murillo instead of listing Adams twice.  withdrawn striker guy is fair, person on our roster who best fills that role right now is Etienne, but it would be a major question mark to rely on him to start next season.   If we play 4-2-2-2 again we need DPs/TAM plays in the spots to mentioned, if we stay with 3-3-3-1 I want a TAM CB (just not the type of TAM CBs New England signs).

Im actually pretty bullish on Etienne, but ONLY in the striker position. The further away from goal the less effective he is.

But yes, Veron is not a fit next to BWP as were currently constructed and Etienne would be a bit of a gamble.

My preference would be to sign a legit striker, see if Veron will take a pay cut and have Etienne BWP Veron and new guy fight to the death for minutes.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal
If BWP is staying sign a guy that Marsch can play at the same time as BWP and keep BWP up top where he belongs. Since Marsch wont play him wide, thats not Veron. Let Gonzo go somewhere he can get real minutes and give that backup striker role to Etienne. Then sign a DP attacking player thats compliments BWP and Royer.

iced1776

iced1776

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

If Etienne is seriously part of the plan to replace Kljestan next year, we're in trouble.

Borats

Borats

New Signing

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

If BWP is staying sign a guy that Marsch can play at the same time as BWP and keep BWP up top where he belongs. Since Marsch wont play him wide, thats not Veron. Let Gonzo go somewhere he can get real minutes and give that backup striker role to Etienne. Then sign a DP attacking player thats compliments BWP and Royer.

Let Veron create for BWP rather than the other way around. There are very few guys that will play in MLS capable of production Veron did off the bench this year. Give him more minutes and try out different formations rather then bringing in another Demari or Fred G.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

Let Veron create for BWP rather than the other way around. There are very few guys that will play in MLS capable of production Veron did off the bench this year. Give him more minutes and try out different formations rather then bringing in another Demari or Fred G.

Thats not Verons game.

Metrohoboken

Metrohoboken

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts
Veron is likely leaving
If u keep Sacha play him up top and rotate with Derrick.?

Bradley Wright-Phillips "I prefer it at Red Bull Arena, but it was OK. I could imagine it being good for a baseball crowd.

defendyourself

defendyourself

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Personally I am not of the opinion that we should set our lineup to accommodate a guy that has scored 12 goals in 3 years here.  Time will tell if Jesse "wasted him" and didn't give him enough playing time, etc but if you can't push through and get your coach to start a DP after 3 seasons, time to get something new.  Damari didn't work out but I at least understand how his style would have complimented BWP.  Fred G. was a boggy because he has the same issue with Veron, can't play with BWP.  Part of this is because of BWP's skillset, but I have no issue accommodating a guy with his goal scoring record. Veron is a good player, but he is not able to be utilized to his potential here.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
BWP
Royer Davis DP
Felipe Adams
Taxi Long TAM Murillo
Robles

Bench: Etienne, Keita, Muyl, Baah, Lade, +homegrowns

Out: Kljestan, Veron, Collin, Grella, Perrinelle, Zizzo, Allen, Duka

Never going to happen, but Id run out the above lineup next season. Definitely a step back from 2015-2016 lineup, but I bet this squad could finish 6th and lose in an early round of the playoffs like the 2017 squad did.

Id give Davis the keys for half a season or more and see if he can grow into the 10 role. At minimum hell press better and shoot from outside the box more than Sacha.

Sign a young DP winger player that compliments BWP in the attack.

Put Adams next to Felipe, in the middle where he wants to play. Let him run loose and go wherever he wants/is needed on the pitch.

Sign a young TAM CB that can pair with Long for the next 5+ years.

Bench is homegrowns and young players like Baah.

Kljestan goes because although hes obviously been great at creating opportunities for others, he just doesnt get enough for himself. Add on he looked old while pressing this year and its time to move on.

Veron cant play with BWP, so as long as that doesnt change, Veron should move on.

Collin, Grella, Perrinelle all gone because of age.

I dont think this team wins anything next season, but I think theyd compete for Cups AND Shields in 2019.

Koko

Koko

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,043 posts
  • Supports:Metro

BWP
Royer Davis DP
Felipe Adams
Taxi Long TAM Murillo
Robles

Never going to happen, but Id run out the above lineup next season. Definitely a step back from 2015-2016 lineup, but I bet this squad could finish 6th and lose in an early round of the playoffs like the 2017 squad did.

Id give Davis the keys for half a season or more and see if he can grow into the 10 role. At minimum hell press better and shoot from outside the box more than Sacha.

Sign a young DP winger player that compliments BWP in the attack.

Put Adams next to Felipe, in the middle where he wants to play. Let him run loose and go wherever he wants/is needed on the pitch.

Sign a young TAM CB that can pair with Long for the next 5+ years.

Bench is homegrowns and young players like Baah.

Kljestan goes because although hes obviously been great at creating opportunities for others, he just doesnt get enough for himself. Add on he looked old while pressing this year and its time to move on.

Veron cant play with BWP, so as long as that doesnt change, Veron should move on.

Collin, Grella, Perrinelle all gone because of age.

I dont think this team wins anything next season, but I think theyd compete for Cups AND Shields in 2019.

What I like about that lineup is that without Sasha you are confusing opponents by allowing Adams Davis and Felipe rotate rolls in that triangle. If you want to shoot from distance Felipe steps up, if you want an advanced destroyer to pressure their CDM Adams steps up. If you want a guy to dictate rhythm Davis steps up.

We are very one dimensional with Sasha on the field because he only has one role that he excels at and opponents can gameplan accordingly.

In that lineup however we have to have a legit backup for BWP as well as a QUALITY right mid.

iced1776

iced1776

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,013 posts
  • Supports:NY Red Bulls, FC Barcelona

BWP
Royer Davis DP
Felipe Adams
Taxi Long TAM Murillo
Robles

I dunno man, I'm all for optimistic thinking but Adams will be gone by then, BWP will presumably be slowing down at some point, Davis's pressing ability is not gonna make up for Kljestan's 15+ assists,  and Taxi could easily be gone... 

Its going to take some actual ambition from Red Bull to say that we're on a path to be serious contenders in 2019. Continuing to target impact players in the $500k-$1M range won't be enough, the amount of TAM MLS is dishing out allows every other team to do the same. Continuing to rely on homegrown players to carry the team won't be enough, the ones good enough to do so won't be around long.

In MLS 8.0 or whatever we'll be at by 2019/2020, I just don't think we'll be able to separate ourselves from the pack without some investment in the top end of our roster. We aren't going to have two TAM-level guys performing consistently at MVP levels again, we may not have a coach who can make the rest of the roster more than the sum of its parts. If that's our long term roster, it still just has "playoff contender" written all over it to me.

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts

I dunno man, I'm all for optimistic thinking but Adams will be gone by then, BWP will presumably be slowing down at some point, Davis's pressing ability is not gonna make up for Kljestan's 15+ assists,  and Taxi could easily be gone... 

Its going to take some actual ambition from Red Bull to say that we're on a path to be serious contenders in 2019. Continuing to target impact players in the $500k-$1M range won't be enough, the amount of TAM MLS is dishing out allows every other team to do the same. Continuing to rely on homegrown players to carry the team won't be enough, the ones good enough to do so won't be around long.

In MLS 8.0 or whatever we'll be at by 2019/2020, I just don't think we'll be able to separate ourselves from the pack without some actual investment in the top end of our roster. We aren't going to have two TAM-level guys performing consistently at MVP levels again, we may not have a coach who can make the rest of the roster more than the sum of its parts. If that's our long term roster, it still just has "playoff contender" written all over it to me.

Fair enough. Id actually be cool moving in from BWP too and keeping Veron to play up top. If Adams goes, drop Davis and play Bezecourt or Keita at the 10. If Taxi goes, well need to sign a quality LB.

Im comfortable with taking a step or two backwards as long as were building something. I think bringing back largely the same lineup that plays through Sacha and BWP AND needs to play a very specific formation with very specific types of players to cover for Sachas decencies is going backwards without the potential for future upside.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

What I like about that lineup is that without Sasha you are confusing opponents by allowing Adams Davis and Felipe rotate rolls in that triangle. If you want to shoot from distance Felipe steps up, if you want an advanced destroyer to pressure their CDM Adams steps up. If you want a guy to dictate rhythm Davis steps up....

I actually like the prospect of Adams and Davis shooting from distance more than Felipe

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

I actually like the prospect of Adams and Davis shooting from distance more than Felipe

Felipe's shots were very dangerous this year... for people in 101.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users