JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Is that how that works?  :wacko:

Perhaps, if someone actually makes a point.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Captain Koolaid

Captain Koolaid

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 925 posts
  • Supports:Metro, USMNT, Ecuador

Lol here we go.

giphy.gif

LONG LIVE METRO

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

You didn't understand the point. I've never seen anything go well for us when it mattered in an elimination game/playoffs so I'd like an apology out of you. USOC final? Do nothing. Go to Columbus for ECF? Immediately concede. Host first leg of ECF? Lose at home. Go unbeaten for four months? Immediately lose first playoff game. When it matters the most, no one steps up.

Peguy in the 2012 DC series didn't step up, sending us to the Conference finals?    Didn't win the Cup, but stepped up in an elimination game/playoffs when it mattered, definitely.

Winning the Shield on the final day of the season in 2013 wasn't stepping up when it counts?

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Winning the Shield on the final day of the season in 2013 wasn't stepping up when it counts?

Some people have different metrics for these things.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

colinh9

colinh9

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,026 posts

Watching NYCFC, they are playing with urgency and their best players are going for this game. I've only been a fan since 2011, but I've never seen really anything go well for us, ever. No conference finals ended well at RBA and almost all over playoff games saw us come up flat. Even wins like against SKC in the play in round a few years ago largely had us doing nothing. But, BWP stepped up and saved us. I guess no one remembers that, but we need that kind of performance consistently from a star player.

Sad part is, pre 2011 was much, much worse. 

vflkirwan

vflkirwan

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,050 posts
  • Supports:Metro/VfL Wolfsburg und die US Boys

The team play wells regular season after regular season, is fairly dominant at home and then with the exception of 2015 we lose a playoff game at home and always crash out. 

Even in 2015 when winning both home games, we couldn't win the Crew series.  Since 2010 we could have hosted 5 MLS Cup Finals had we reached the prize game.

I won't say the team can't always step up.  Seems we have a fairly good record in one game MLS Playoff affairs. I believe we are 3-1 with wins over RSL, Dallas and Chicago. The one loss being 08 Cup Final.

However in 2 legged affairs, this team is terrible and very rarely does anyone step up.   They have won only three 2 legged series going back to the league starting the format. They are 3-13 overall in this format.  They have gone up 2 goals on the road a few times and blown them both.  (New England/Houston).  They have tied the agg away in game and lost both (New England/DC) They have won the first leg and blew it at home (SJ) We have given up goals a minute in (Columbus).  We have missed critical PKs (DC/Montreal)  Players rarely step up for whatever reason in this format with the team and they always find a way to lose.

In 2 years Toronto has won the same amount of 2 legged series as us and they can win a 4th this year to surpass us.  

I am not going to fault Hurricane for his postings here.    You get where he is coming from.  We all have to be a bit frustrated with this team at the moment.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

Peguy in the 2012 DC series didn't step up, sending us to the Conference finals?    Didn't win the Cup, but stepped up in an elimination game/playoffs when it mattered, definitely.

Yes, it happens. It just has to happen consistently for a championship to come to fruition. Did anyone watch Houston last night? They brought on their Portland killer, and the dude immediately puts one in the back of the net. Houston has been playing well, and got someone to step up when it mattered. Will it happen next round? Who knows. At the end of the day, full team performances + heroics from your best guys is what it takes. The team was garbage against TFC and our best players did not step up. Robles was not lights out. BWP was not clinical. Even if we beat TFC, there's no reason to assume we would put in a full team performance against Columbus to get it done.

RedBullScouse

RedBullScouse

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,733 posts
  • Supports:Irresistable Mermaids/Liverpool/RU

Yes, it happens. It just has to happen consistently for a championship to come to fruition. ...

As Matrim said, you can say we've never won a cup, which is very different from " I've never seen really anything go well for us, ever"

"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." - Iron Mike

Bitch covered my plaid?
The sorrow inside me grows.
I need my plaid pitch.

"It goes without saying that when things don't go your way they just don't go your way. " - JCO

"He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he's all right.”
George Best, on David Beckham

rzrhtr

rzrhtr

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 474 posts
  • Supports:RBNY

I was just hoping for a link!

Thanks for the info.
Although I doubt that this will make everyone relax.

I was a little bored and disappointed after our game ended. Knowing we're one of the league's better teams made me feel a little better, even just so.

hurricane1091

hurricane1091

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, USMNT

As Matrim said, you can say we've never won a cup, which is very different from " I've never seen really anything go well for us, ever"

Ultimately, there's only one moment when it mattered in the playoffs when you think about it, because there's always been one moment where we failed to advance. When you think about BWP saving us versus SKC, he stepped up when it mattered. But ultimately, there was another time later that year where our playoff future was in jeopardy, and no one stepped up/everyone collectively dropped the ball and we were eliminated.

thoward18

thoward18

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,856 posts
  • Supports:Metro

You didn't understand the point. I've never seen anything go well for us when it mattered in an elimination game/playoffs so I'd like an apology out of you. USOC final? Do nothing. Go to Columbus for ECF? Immediately concede. Host first leg of ECF? Lose at home. Go unbeaten for four months? Immediately lose first playoff game. When it matters the most, no one steps up.

Yeah this is true if you just pick and choose what counts as "when it matters the most." They scored two goals in the first 15 minutes of an elimination game at Toyota Park a couple of weeks ago. The big comeback win against KC a few years back. They scored to even the score against Cincinnati and then put it away in extra time to go the Open Cup Final. They have clinched the Supporters' Shield twice in the final game of the season. And so on. 

Twelve teams make MLS playoffs. That means that 11 are going to lose a game "when it matters the most." Not to mention however many teams failed in important games that caused them to miss the playoffs. And then practically everyone will lose a game that matters in the Open Cup. Learn to accept that.

They played pretty okay against arguably the best team in MLS history and got knocked out on an arbitrary goal rule. Yeah, That's So Metro and whatever else, need some offseason upgrades, but there's nothing meaningful to draw from that in term's of this team's character or something like that. Quit whining.

Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,980 posts
  • Interests:Soccer, football, hockey, basketball, baseball
  • Supports:Red Bulls

22 years of playoff disappointment in a row.  We are like the Cubs used to be.  Maybe next year...

RedBullsFC

RedBullsFC

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  • Supports:club: NYRB/////country: USA

I've been following the team since RBA opened. Unbelievable the many ways we shoot ourselves in the foot when it comes to the playoffs. The only thing that was great about this season was getting to the Open Cup final and the progression of Long and Adams. Our big players again didn't step up. 

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

Reserve Team

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

They played pretty okay against arguably the best team in MLS history and got knocked out on an arbitrary goal rule. Yeah, That's So Metro and whatever else, need some offseason upgrades, but there's nothing meaningful to draw from that in term's of this team's character or something like that. Quit whining.

Obviously it was not as good a result as what was need it, but it is still the best result any road team has put up in Toronto this entire year.  The team tied one of the best teams in the history of the league on aggregate.  I am not sure what the betting lines were on this game or series, but I am sure that us losing 2-2 on away goals was significantly better than what any reasonable neutral observers expected.  Obviously the team could have played better through out the team but that is always true.  It is not like the team came out and shat the bed.  They put in a very credible performance against a superior team.  Plus, this will almost certainly go down as our best playoff goal differential ever.  ;)

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,062 posts

Quit whining.

Whining is the stock-in-trade of the sports fan.
95% whine. 5% rage.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users