32 replies to this topic

999duo

999duo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 656 posts
  • Supports:Metro, Bolton, Swansea

CCL will be a maximum of 7 games between February and March, and that's assuming we get to the final.

Not that I anticipate we will have to worry about it, but I think it's a maximum of 8 games as I'm pretty sure the final is two legs.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Not that I anticipate we will have to worry about it, but I think it's a maximum of 8 games as I'm pretty sure the final is two legs.

Forgot about that. I hate two-legged cup/tournament finals but it makes sense in this case.

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

amen.  he's not perfect, but there are not a lot of teams who i would trade Jesse for their coach in MLS

and as a USMNT fan, while some may question if he is the right coach for us, but if MLS had more Jesse Marschs and yes Mike Petkes US soccer would be in a much better place.  I take a lot of pride that we do a good (though not great job) balancing youth development without comprising our ability to compete for trophies.  Rather be that, than a redo of the Galacticos.  

Marsch isn't perfect at all. I don't think he's an innovator, but just an implementer. I give him credit for utilizing the 5-4-1 when things just weren't working and squeezed all he could outta Sacha and Royer. 

I don't know how Marsch/Hamlett circumvent the annual gamble of being understaffed in defense. That'll prevent us from being at the top. There will be more $$ available with the cap going up ~$300k(?), more alleged TAM $, and some more GAM $ since we're in CCL, and the $200k in GAM we got from CHI. They should use it and use it wisely. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

RiverEnergyDrink

RiverEnergyDrink

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, C.A.R.P., NYR

Ehh, we should be favoured in the first stage, assuming we play a non-Mexican CONCACAF team. Then it gets trickier.

Could still get matched up with Saprissa or Toronto in the first round. 

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

we should be favoured in the first stage.

Famous last words.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,683 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

I have plenty of gripes about the club and Marsch, but overall, I do find him to be a very good coach. I'm happy he'll be returning and I'm happy about the continuity. Now, let's hope they actually make a serious effort about improving the club this off-season.

Same thoughts.  Not sure they could get anyone better.  Hopefully he'll do a better job of not just penciling in "his guys" for 90' a game next season.

ivo

ivo

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,170 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Same thoughts.  Not sure they could get anyone better.  Hopefully he'll do a better job of not just penciling in "his guys" for 90' a game next season.

Hey, he rested Felipe one time this season. That's like an infinity improvement over previous years.

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Sasa Curcic's Watch

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,205 posts
  • Supports:Metro

http://www.goal.com/...0w1c0s7vosvtgpw

Ives speculates here that Marsch may be a candidate to replace Porter in Portland. As unlikely as that is, the most notable thing about the piece is that he says that Jesse only has 1 year remaining on his contract. 

acesfull86

acesfull86

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,146 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, NYK, NYM, NYJ
Bizarre...cant really see Marschs motivation to join another MLS club. Europe sure, but Portland? Especially when he came out on top of a power struggle with Ali. Probably just noise.

Wonder what Porters next move is? Take a year off? Go abroad? Would he be in the mix for USMNT?

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts
  • Supports:Metros, Man Utd, Buffalo Sabres
It pains me to say this but if you are our coach and you have a chance to move to Portland you'd be insane to turn them down. Their ownership and organization put ours to shame.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,063 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

Portland ... ownership and organization put ours to shame.

Timbers can jettison an MLS Cup-winning and First Place-finishing manager as easily as we can.
http://www.espnfc.co...st-place-finish

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Eleazar

Eleazar

One who helps God

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,967 posts
  • Interests:Metro, the USMNT and Boston College Athletics
  • Supports:METRO

Portland is going to fold their reserve team. 

RIP Guillermo Romulo, Alexander Francis Orig and Celenio Eleazar.

RIP Cesar Castello and Mike Vallo

"Metro..."

MetroFanatic

MetroFanatic

Choose Metro.

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,406 posts
  • Supports:Metro

Supposedly Porter is going to Cincinnati when they go to MLS.

MetroFanatic.com. Metro Forever.

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Timbers can jettison an MLS Cup-winning and First Place-finishing manager as easily as we can.
http://www.espnfc.co...st-place-finish

But you aren't factoring in that Porter is a smug unlikable prick who most people want to punch in the face. As a person he is the exact opposite of Petkie, and I have no doubt that he rubbed ownership the wrong way because of that.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

sabremike

sabremike

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,727 posts

Portland is going to fold their reserve team. 

One thing with some MLS sides folding their USL sides is that the travel costs had to be prohibitive. Better for some of them to just partner with an existing team and make them your feeder club like Montreal did with the Ottawa Fury. I'll shit on the soda people on the many times they deserve it but will give them all the credit in the world for not folding RB II. It's really the one big thing they've done right in the past few years.
Let's Go Buffalo!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users