171 replies to this topic

Borats

Borats

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts
  • Supports:NY/NJ Metrostars

Im fine with letting Duncan walk, if we are going to make this system work we are going to need actual speed and crossing ability from the outside backs to provide adequate width.

Duncan has the speed, Edwards is supposed to be a good crosser. Neither of them have both of those attributes

You are right, I am just worried if we lose Duncan, the replacement our excuse for GM will find will be even worse, like most other positions, so at this point I am hoping we can find a way to keep a bird at hand... To actually get someone like Murillo, who can make an all star team at the position, is a pipe dream at this point for me as long as we have Thelwell.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls
Does anyone really care if Duncan leaves? At this point there isn't a single player I'd be upset about if they left. We need better talent at literally every position.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

worried if we lose Duncan

Why? We are stacked with replacements at RBII, no?

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

ivo

ivo

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,369 posts
  • Supports:NYRB, Real Madrid

Does anyone really care if Duncan leaves? At this point there isn't a single player I'd be upset about if they left. We need better talent at literally every position.

After the last 2-3 transfer windows, do you trust that we'll get better talent? Or even equal level talent (e.g. resign Edwards)? US, relatively young, known quantity talent?

"I'd be upset" is probably a stretch. Him leaving is probably mutual at this point. He's not a system fit for Struber. All of the above are true.

But in a vacuum, I wouldn't mind Duncan being a lifer at RB for us.

SatansHockey

SatansHockey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,293 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls

After the last 2-3 transfer windows, do you trust that we'll get better talent? Or even equal level talent (e.g. resign Edwards)? US, relatively young, known quantity talent?

"I'd be upset" is probably a stretch. Him leaving is probably mutual at this point. He's not a system fit for Struber. All of the above are true.

But in a vacuum, I wouldn't mind Duncan being a lifer at RB for us.

I don't think we will add better talent but this roster sucks too. It really can't get much worse at this point.

JBigjake54

JBigjake54

Amicus Curiae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,313 posts
  • Supports:MetroStars

It really can't get much worse at this point.

Don't say that. Don't ever say that.

We are good enough to beat the best teams, and bad enough to lose to the worst teams. 

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts
  • Supports:Metro

There are players on this roster that have performed before this year and in a vacuum there are also players on this team that should be just fine.

Duncan is one of them. Id say Long, Nealis, Gutman, Edwards, Clark, Tolkin, Royer, and Davis.

Everyone else can and/or should be let go. If not, they need to go to RB2 and make the all league 1st or 2nd team.

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

But the last 5 years has established he will not be replaced with a better player. If you call for a player to be sold or let go, be aware that he will be replaced by an inferior player. This team has not made a clear upgrade signing since Danny Royer.

So my answer is yes. I will be unhappy if he leaves because it will almost certainly result in the team being even worse given all available evidence.

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

67% Class

67% Class

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,748 posts

Felt he didnt look too good vs. Chicago. Seemed like a downgrade to me when he came on. 

Efried

Efried

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts

You are right, I am just worried if we lose Duncan, the replacement our excuse for GM will find will be even worse, like most other positions, so at this point I am hoping we can find a way to keep a bird at hand... To actually get someone like Murillo, who can make an all star team at the position, is a pipe dream at this point for me as long as we have Thelwell.

I bet if we go back to when we signed Murillo most probably were wondering what were we doing signing some guy form the Panamanian league

Koko

Koko

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,418 posts

I bet if we go back to when we signed Murillo most probably were wondering what were we doing signing some guy form the Panamanian league

Panama has performed pretty well historically in CONCACAF. I cant remember what the exact sentiment was at the time but I find it hard to believe that the majority was pooping on his signing.

TK_RBNY

TK_RBNY

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,100 posts
  • Supports:Red Bulls, Fulham
The team was also in a better place. Its going to be hard to sell the fans on a player like that now unless improvements around the rest of the squad are made.

Not that MLS really affords teams to spend a lot of $$ on fullbacks, so I dont think RBNY is going to want to pay $800k a year for a starting RB

Antonius Block

Antonius Block

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,976 posts
  • Supports:RBNY, Sligo Rovers

Focusing on bringing in speculative signings from the Panamanian league is fine with you have one of the best teams in the league. It is not fine when the majority of your starting 11 would be average players in the USL. It did not really matter whether Murillo panned out or not to the immediate fortunes of the team when he was signed.

Currently, the team is in dire need of upgrades through out the team so signings like Monzon do not and should not excite the fans. This is especially true after recent signings of guys like Egbo, Pendant, Harper, Yearwood, etc. 

"To believe is to suffer. It is like loving someone in the dark who never answers." - Antonius Block on Metro fandom

thoward18

thoward18

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,490 posts

Every dollar spent replacing him is a dollar that can't be spent elsewhere on the roster. And if it's an international that replaces him then it's one fewer spot to use elsewhere. 

McSoccer

McSoccer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,057 posts
  • Supports:New York Red Bulls, Arsenal

Every dollar spent replacing him is a dollar that can't be spent elsewhere on the roster. And if it's an international that replaces him then it's one fewer spot to use elsewhere. 

Youre going to have to spend to keep him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users