#3046 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

Dir. of Football Operations

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 30 October 2010 - 03:49 PM

I haven't really thought it through much...has this concept been raised before?

The closest thing I can think of to it is that for like three years in the late '70s/early '80s, the NASL played outdoors in the summer and indoors in the winter. Good times; too bad the NASL was already disintegrating.

What time of year does the Russian League play?

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#3047 We Own You

We Own You

First Team

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Supports:LA GALAXY

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:18 PM

salt lake vs dallas 2pm on FSC.

Stream anyone?

#3048 Zero Cool

Zero Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,897 posts
  • Interests:Football
  • Supports:Google+

Posted 30 October 2010 - 05:00 PM

http://atdhe.net/269...-real-salt-lake
Zero Cool winner of the 2012 ALMOST Goal of the Year
Isaac: So when I told you guys we were on it, I meant to say we're on the motherfucker, go back in there and relax...

#3049 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:38 AM

The closest thing I can think of to it is that for like three years in the late '70s/early '80s, the NASL played outdoors in the summer and indoors in the winter. Good times; too bad the NASL was already disintegrating.

What time of year does the Russian League play?

The Russian league actually recently agreed to switch to a traditional schedule. Maybe we should keep an eye on them.

PS. The President of CONMEBOL has said that he wants MLS teams in Copa Libertadores. Can you imagine a Vancouver vs. Boca Jrs? The flight alone would be lethal.

#3050 Cristobal Guillermo

Cristobal Guillermo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,817 posts
  • Supports:GaLAxy, USWNT, Reign, Tacoma Stars

Posted 31 October 2010 - 02:24 PM

The Russian league actually recently agreed to switch to a traditional schedule. Maybe we should keep an eye on them.

I'll definitely be interested to see how they make that work.

Proud "been a fan since '96" douchenozzle

Cogito me cogitare, ergo cogito me esse. Et futuito istam pullam!

http://www.nybooks.c.../15/our-moloch/

#3051 S.Bones

S.Bones

• LARS Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,713 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy, USMNT, Foggia

Posted 31 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

PS. The President of CONMEBOL has said that he wants MLS teams in Copa Libertadores. Can you imagine a Vancouver vs. Boca Jrs? The flight alone would be lethal.

Lisbon to Moscow - 8:15 actual travel time (including a 40 minute layover) + 2 hours for time zones

Seattle to Buenos Aires - 17:45 actual travel time (including a 3 hour layover) + 5 hours for time zones. If Seattle has a Wednesday against Boca, they leave SeaTac at 9:00am on Monday and will arrive at 7:45 am on Tuesday in Buenos Aires. They play Wednesday and then get on the plane at 9:00 am Thursday. They arrive back in Seattle at 9:45pm on Thursday night. That just ain't gonna work.

Plus some of those douche-baggie Seattle fans would travel to Buenos Aires to try to show the locals what real support looks like, and we'd have an international incident on our hands.

A CONCACAF Champions League will work, especially when it's correctly apportioned with more MLS and FMF teams. Once the next World Cup vote is done, and England and the US get their cups, maybe the big countries can throw their weight around and get rid of Blatter and his corrupt cronies like Jack Warner. This will lead to end of over representation of Central American and Caribbean minnows, and maybe some actual money to develop the game in second and third tier countries.

What I really want is the end of the Gold Cup and true hemispheric cup played immediately after the Euros.

#3052 Caasi Gohd

Caasi Gohd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,780 posts
  • Supports:Galaxy, Pachuca

Posted 31 October 2010 - 07:09 PM

Plus some of those douche-baggie Seattle fans would travel to Buenos Aires to try to show the locals what real support looks like, and we'd have an international incident on our hands.

I heard everything else you said but the potential of this happening is just too good to let the opportunity pass us by.

#3053 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:42 PM

As much as I want mls to compete in copa libertadores, we can't even compete in concacaf champions league. there isn't enough depth from MLS to compete in either yet. With expansion, the talent pool is spread a little more thin and MLS is going to get smoked harder than they already do.

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#3054 jamesey

jamesey

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,991 posts
  • Supports:LA/USA

Posted 31 October 2010 - 11:47 PM

Talking to a European Eurosnob about how the MLS calendar is fucked up because "it plays when no other league plays", I was able to make the person look like a fool by implying that the person was dumber than Americans because even we know that Scandinavian countries not only exist but that they play in a similar calendar to MLS' and they do it for the same reason. Playing in or watching a match in Helsinki in January would be about as fun as a match in Chicago in January.

Russia is going from autumn to spring in 2012-2013
http://www.uefa.com/...ml?cid=PULSE_TW

Looking at footiemap, this will be hell for fans.

http://www.footiemap.com/?co=russia

...ooooh ooooooooh we are the riot squad...

#3055 ramsessalmeron

ramsessalmeron

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Supports:LA Galaxy

Posted 01 November 2010 - 01:17 AM

Here's a bigsoccer-esque idea...bear with me...it is the fruit of insulting a European soccer fan.

Talking to a European Eurosnob about how the MLS calendar is fucked up because "it plays when no other league plays", I was able to make the person look like a fool by implying that the person was dumber than Americans because even we know that Scandinavian countries not only exist but that they play in a similar calendar to MLS' and they do it for the same reason. Playing in or watching a match in Helsinki in January would be about as fun as a match in Chicago in January.

Anyway...some synapses fired and it occurred to me that the USA could actually run two leagues...a winter schedule league and a summer schedule league. Maybe an MLS Northern Conference (Chicago, TFC, Vancouver, Columbus, New England, New York, Seattle & Portland) and an MLS Southern Conference (with the rest).

I haven't really thought it through much...has this concept been raised before?

Them and the rest of the Americas. If you continue going south past Mexico there other country that also play soccer or as they so adorably put it "futbol".

#3056 twigg

twigg

whiskey - fueled

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,041 posts
  • Interests:The game. It's history, it's personalities, it's rivalries.
  • Supports:Liverpool, Eintracht, Distillery

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:44 PM

I've brought up the "we're not the only rogue schedule" argument to a few Euros in the past. They do hate to be 'misinformed'.

Ireland are on almost the same schedule (but they pronounce it "SHedule") as MLS. Cousin Gary's Rovers played their last game on Friday (Champions by one goal over Bohemians) and will play in the FA Cup Final on 14 November.

Myopia is an absolute epidemic among Eurosnobs.
Coimhead fearg fhear na foighde. Beware the anger of a patient man, - Gaelic Proverb

Sam's Club

#3057 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:03 PM

Did I hear correctly during the G's match this past Sunday, the announcers said something along the lines that Garber said that East and West divisions again for next year?

Let's Eat!

#3058 Slug

Slug

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,679 posts
  • Supports:Los Angeles Galaxy, U.S.A.

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:15 PM

Twellman to retire?
Ouch, my head hurts.

Let's Eat!

#3059 ESCO

ESCO

Player/Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,064 posts
  • Supports:LAG | LFC

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:43 PM

Twellman to retire?
Ouch, my head hurts.

Didn't Steve Nicol block him from going to Europe only for him to suffer than concussion a year later.

The Jim Kelly of MLS

#3060 LOBO 13

LOBO 13

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Interests:Stuff
  • Supports:Creepers In Cardigans Soccer Club

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:27 PM

Wasn't it a blow from Steve "hands of stone" Cronin that pretty much put an end to Twellman's career?

If you're not creepin', you're not trying...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users